Author Topic: EP018: Some Girlfriends Can  (Read 3730 times)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
on: October 11, 2009, 02:57:07 AM
EP018: Some Girlfriends Can

By Stephanie Burgis.
Read by Swoopy (of Skepticality).

“Too bad it’s raining. Hey, Lauren, make the rain stop, okay?” He reaches across the table and tousles my hair affectionately.

I bare my teeth in the semblance of a grin. “Ha ha. Sorry, I can’t.”

“I know.” He shakes his head, laughs ruefully. “It’s just . . . Maya could.”

Rated PG. Contains explicit cattiness and violent self-reflection.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 05:51:55 PM
This was an interesting concept, but I found it extremely hard to relate to the doormat main character.  It's clear from the very beginning that she should've dumped this guy ages ago.  Not that it's unrealistic or anything, people do that sort of thing all the time in real life, but it doesn't help me relate to her when she could've prevented all of this.

Did any other True Blood fans out there picture Maryann as the goddess?  That actress just has superb stage presence.  :)

Malapropos de Rien

• Extern
Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 02:46:56 AM
I enjoyed the story right up until the end.  I'm sure the author meant it to be uplifting, as in the narrator finally gained enough self-esteem to refuse the aid of someone who was offering to fulfill all her wishes and dreams, but to me it just feels like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.  Personally, I would have no problem accepting magical aid (for instance, a genie's three wishes), and still feeling good about myself.

Swoopy's reading was very nice.  I hope to hear her reading more of these stories.