Author Topic: Fantasy Literature Poll - Group B  (Read 7922 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: May 20, 2010, 03:50:11 PM
Two entries ran away with last week's poll.  Good Omens in first, and Wonerland close behind.  Tarzan came in a distant third.  Some folks mentioned that they didn't want to vote because they'd only read the top runners.  I say, feel free to vote even if you've only read one.  This is the group stage, and it's pretty much a straight up popularity contest.  Some of the more obscure entries might deserve to win by quality *cough* Bridge of Birds *cough* but they're just not going to do well in the later rounds unless enough people have read them.  So may as well just vote for the ones you've read.

This week we have a several newer series of popular fantasy, urban fantasy by one of Escape Artist's frequently featured authors, two series of classic kid's books, and the book that inspired the most quoted fantasy movie in all of geekdom. 

By my own admission I've only read three of these.  But those three are all very worth voting for, and only two can leave the group.  I'm sure most of the one's I haven't gotten to yet are worth reading and voting for too...

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 03:27:06 AM
I remember sitting in High School English class and reading The Princess Bride. I had it tucked inside Lord of the Flies, which is what I was *supposed* to be reading. My English teacher thought I was truly demented to be laughing out loud at Lord of the Flies  ;D

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 04:09:02 AM
I remember sitting in High School English class and reading The Princess Bride. I had it tucked inside Lord of the Flies, which is what I was *supposed* to be reading. My English teacher thought I was truly demented to be laughing out loud at Lord of the Flies  ;D

I love Lord of the Flies.  And I think I laughed out loud at least once.

I also laughed at The Godfather, though.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 04:16:24 AM
I also laughed at The Godfather, though.

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." That line kills me every time.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 08:20:27 PM
Okay, here's my first plug for unappreciated gem in this group: Robin Hobb's work.  Her stuff in the Elderlings world is done in loosely related trilogies.  I really like the Liveship Traders trilogy especially.  It's high fantasy crossed with the age of sails.  Very fun.  It's candy really, despite some fairly brutal turns of events.  Good characters, good character arcs, an awesome villainous pirate you actually want to succeed half the time, living talking sailing ships, and dragons.  What's not to love?  Best of all, it's free of all the D&D / Tolkien fantasy stereotypes.  No elves, no wizards casting fireballs, no magic swords.  Just a lot of magic... well, wood.  Everything in her world building fits together very well.

While I don't think it's in the same class as Princess Bride, if you want a good read and the above sounds appealing to you, pick up Ship of Magic.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 08:22:14 PM by Ocicat »

eytanz

Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 09:03:39 PM
If Golden Compass was just about the first book, I would have voted for it. But I didn't like the rest of the Dark Materials.

I'm afraid I only read three entries in this one, and I voted for two of them, but that's because they are both books I love very much. I may have to sit out future polls if there are so few entries I'm familiar with.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 09:54:51 PM
It's worth noting that Robin Hobb really really hates her characters.  I mean, like, hardcore.  Those are some seriously downer endings she puts out, hoooo boy.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 04:29:07 AM
It's worth noting that Robin Hobb really really hates her characters.  I mean, like, hardcore.  Those are some seriously downer endings she puts out, hoooo boy.

She doesn't hate her characters as much as George RR Martin hates his, but it's a close thing sometimes. 

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 04:36:31 AM

She doesn't hate her characters as much as George RR Martin hates his, but it's a close thing sometimes. 

Martin just kills 'em off by the dozen.  Hobb goes for the pain.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 04:31:17 PM
With the love that Alice got last round, I'm surprised that L Frank Baum isn't being nearly as well received. I find his work more cohesive and epic. Then again, with Hitchhiker making it to the Science Fiction finals, maybe the board denizens here have a proclivity for the absurd.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 11:40:18 PM
My second plug for this week is in fact for the Oz books.  Sure, they're silly unrepentant kid stuff, but they're richer than you might imagine.  Watching the movie (though excellent) doesn't give one the full sense of the world, as one might expect.  Partly because there are just so many books... but there are bits they changed in the movie too.  My favorite one is that the Emerald City is not ... really... green.  It's a normal old drab city.  But!  When you come up to the gate you are given green tinted glasses, which you are ordered by law to wear at all times.  Voila!  Instantly beautiful green city at a fraction of the cost!

My other favorite / subversive thing is from the second book, The Marvelous Land of Oz.  It stars not Dorthy, but a little boy named Tip, who is being raised by a (different) evil witch.  He escapes from the witch and has many adventures, creating many strange creatures along the way using the witches powder of life (the Gump is one of my favorite fantasy creations).  In any case, little Tip eventually encounters Glinda, who reveals that he is actually the kidnapped heir to the throne of Oz, the princess Ozma.  And our little boy protagonist gets transformed into a girl in the last third of the novel.  That's right, a gender bending character in a novel published in 1904.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 01:56:03 AM
Tip's book was one of my favorites, though mostly because I loved the Pumpkinhead, an image which has always resonated with me.  He was a wise fool, cursed to ephemerality and knowing it.

That one and Rinkitink in Oz were two that I came back to a lot.

Ectobahn

• Peltast
Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 11:22:01 AM
I really like those first two Oz books. I remember the first eight being republished in the UK with Return To Oz stills on the covers, but I don't think they've ever had any mindshare over here as a series. Hell, even The Wonder Wizard Of Oz itself is obscured by the film version in a way that even the much conflated Alice books aren't.

It was really strange listening to Nathaniel Hawthorne's Feathertop on the Classic Tales Podcast a while back and recognising Baum's later creations. Mother Rigby animating her her scarecrow was simply marvellous.

I'm tempted to praise and bury Pullman's trilogy, but I don't know where to start.

"No man should leave in the universe anything of which he is afraid." - G K Chesterton

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 04:50:47 PM
i must obstain from this one as I have not read anything but Princess Bride.  I might have read the Wizard of Oz, but if I did it's been too long.  I love the movie, but...

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 05:47:08 AM

Martin just kills 'em off by the dozen.  Hobb goes for the pain.

Katherine Kurtz is also not very kind to her characters.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 04:28:05 PM
I'm tempted to praise and bury Pullman's trilogy, but I don't know where to start.

I think we can start by saying that axe-grinding rarely turns out great literature and move on from there...

I started the first book and was kind of iffy on it, but I pushed through.  The second book was a complete non-starter (despite having a magical knife of incomparable sharpness, which is usually a shoe-in for fascinating me.)  Then, a couple of years later, I read about Pullman's whole drive to basically repudiate Narnia because he was so angry and dismayed to discover that C.S. Lewis was a Christian apologist writing an allegorical religious tale, and I said, "Oh, so THAT's why those books got less interesting the longer they went on."  I didn't even get to the part where they go to kill God and apparently (judging from reviews I've read) the characters all suddenly invert their personality for no apparent reason.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 06:29:44 AM
Guess who voted for "Pavane?"

Thanks for including it Ocicat :-)

Father Beast

• Lochage
Reply #17 on: May 30, 2010, 03:08:48 PM
With the love that Alice got last round, I'm surprised that L Frank Baum isn't being nearly as well received. I find his work more cohesive and epic. Then again, with Hitchhiker making it to the Science Fiction finals, maybe the board denizens here have a proclivity for the absurd.

Well, just imagine that at some point we will have to decide between The Princess Bride and Good Omens

That will be a tough one.