Author Topic: Resonics Chronicles: A Science Fantasy Series in progress  (Read 8520 times)

jrcalvo

• Palmer
    • J. R. Calvo: The Official Site
Hi y'all,

I'm in the process of writing a series, and was interested in your thoughts. Here's the gist. Resonics is a Science Fantasy Adventure taking place on Earth, years to the future. In this distant future, our hubris brings about the Reaping, a cataclysm tearing the world asunder, spewing forth silver dust. This silver enables a new breed of sonic tech to rise, everything from lights to hovercrafts to weapons. Meanwhile, two factions wrestle to 'save' what's left of the world, the Paladins and the Rebels.

One of the main themes that will be ever-echoing behind the stories is the double-edged sword of belief. Values, honesty, honor, these are all great, powerful and good things of faith. However, the danger of faith is when one person or organization decides that can take your 'values' and twist them to their own gain, often at the expense of others. Ask a dozen people and you'll get a dozen different answers, but my take on it is that faith occasionally needs some TLC from good old fashioned common sense.

Behind their power struggle, lies a technique re-emerging for those who would listen, the power of Resonation. Resonation is taking the inherent tune and pulse of a living being and using it to affect a separate object. Within Resonation there are two approaches: Untuned and Tuned. Untuned Resonation is the forcing of the object to match your tune. Tuned Resonation is you matching the object's tune.

I got the idea for Resonation and this entire series from a real-world science theory. I'm not going to describe it all hear, cuz my summation would be: lightning is electricity, lightning causes brushfires, why aren't we on fire. Ergo, QED, Therefore, and Henceforth… Fire Pretty.  For the real theory (won't link as I'm a greenhorn and not sure if that's kosher) The article's title is Physicists Challenge Notion of Electric Nerve Impulses Say Sound More Likely. This theory is the basis behind sonic anesthesia. I took the theory a step further with my story concept. The human body's nervous system, whether electric or sonic, is insulated at the nerve endings via the myelin sheath. Upon researching this sheath I discovered a couple interesting traits. The density of this sheath is variable, and deterioration of the sheath can lead to madness via alteration of sensory input. So the concept of resonation in my story stems me wondering what would happen if a person could consciously alter this myelin sheath and use their inherent sonic pulses to affect the world. To maintain believability and consistency in my story (as much as possible), I include the downside. Too much Untuned Resonation, like water blasting against a weakened dam, leads to madness. Tuned Resonation, on the other hand, is like a brittle fallen leaf floating on the waves, undamaged because it doesn't resist the flow. To amplify my 'magic' I used another real-world characteristic. I won't give away how I insert it into the story, but silver is a potent conductor of both electricity and sound.

So long story short and for those who like tag lines... Sonic Jedi versus Mechs.

Lastly, in terms of length, the Resonics Chronicles has begun as a series of shorts teasing the coming first novel. The beauty of these shorts proceeding the novel is it gives me a chance to feel out the characters, and see which resonates with my audience.

So let me know your thoughts? Do you think pursuit of consistency is a noble endeavor? Do you think the usage of publishing shorts first as ebooks is a good method to establish my name and make myself a more comfortable plunge for an agent? I like the setup Smashwords has in terms of various formats and the capability to view samples. Thoughts?

Sorry for the windbag post ;)

Joe

~Joe

Insurance Underwriter
Amateur Puppeteer
Fledgling Writer
Barbarian
King

http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/JRCALVO

FireTurtle

• Hipparch
Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 02:32:40 AM
JR- I dint know anything about publishing. But, um, without outing myself, I know a
lot about what you are writing about or rather the actual real science
if today. I think it might benefit your story not to rely to heavily on the "facts" you have learned. There is a fine line in science fiction between plausible and really really implausible. Let's just say that anyone who actually knows about myelin and it's importance in the body might not be all that keen on your interpretation. Invent some new nerves that carry the silver or leech it from the air or something. Or, read a lot more about myelin. There are some
really fascinating effects of myelin as far as fast and slow impulse
conduction and also diseases caused by imperfect or degenerating myelin. It might help your story!
It's a great idea but be careful with you science.
IMHO.
Really, really HO.

“My imagination makes me human and makes me a fool; it gives me all the world and exiles me from it.”
Ursula K. LeGuin

jrcalvo

• Palmer
Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 03:04:26 AM
@FireTurtle: First off, I am highly impressed by your knowledge, tip of the cap sir! Also, thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

Yea, it's amazing how the myelin sheath's... (would you call it fluid dynamics?) rate of conduction can alter how and if the signal continues.

I concur fully with your warning of don't stray too close to the science. I realise even at this point, that I'm going to overthink and potentially overdevelop the resonation system in fear of causing confusion or blatant discrepencies.  The terminology and description of resonation I'm leaning towards, within the pieces, tend to use more music theory over science to distance from that pitfall (i.e. consonance, dissonance, etc.) However, I'm in the process of getting the civilian sonar tech manual... rp33 I think it is, to research what the science behind impacting sound waves is like (mostly out of my own curiousity). I figure the myelin sheath is a dangerous road to go down and not necessarily pertinent to a good story, but if I make errors with simpler science like impacting frequencies it would derail the story.

It's a tricky balance. I know somewhere out there, some forum troll will find a discrepency in the final piece, it's a given. I just want to avoid the worst pitfalls.

thanks again,
Joe

~Joe

Insurance Underwriter
Amateur Puppeteer
Fledgling Writer
Barbarian
King

FireTurtle

• Hipparch
Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 03:05:51 AM
Good luck, my friend.

“My imagination makes me human and makes me a fool; it gives me all the world and exiles me from it.”
Ursula K. LeGuin

jrcalvo

• Palmer
Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 03:23:39 AM

~Joe

Insurance Underwriter
Amateur Puppeteer
Fledgling Writer
Barbarian
King

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 03:30:22 AM
Hi y'all,
So long story short and for those who like tag lines... Sonic Jedi versus Mechs.

Reminds me a whole lot of the Shaper/Mechanist stories, and also the novel "Schismatrix" by Bruce Sterling.

Good luck in your search for an agent/publisher. :)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 03:32:30 AM by jrderego »

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

jrcalvo

• Palmer
Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 01:25:48 PM
Thanks jrderego!

~Joe

Insurance Underwriter
Amateur Puppeteer
Fledgling Writer
Barbarian
King

Matthew B. Barr

• Extern
    • Raising the Barr Custom Illustration
Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 07:48:26 PM
In my assessment...your success or failure depends ENTIRELY upon your cover artist!  ;)

Raising the Barr Custom Illustration
http://www.barrillustration.com

jrcalvo

• Palmer
Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 09:32:53 PM
Tis true... though he does have a whole slue of skullduggery to perform.  ;)

~Joe

Insurance Underwriter
Amateur Puppeteer
Fledgling Writer
Barbarian
King