Escape Artists
November 16, 2018, 07:04:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: EP243: I’m Alive, I Love You, I’ll See You in Reno  (Read 15791 times)
Paranatural
Palmer

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2010, 12:47:48 PM »

As it is, there were too many ingredients in here for such a short story, plus some fairly daring or ill-advised choices made in pursuit of a 'wise' and experienced voice. A few issues:
-You will always seriously threaten the narrator's credibility when you have them write off their spouse and/or children as unimportant. The idea that after twenty-five years of apparently happy marriage and two children a character would be ready to go back to mooning over a f***ed-up dysfuctional relationship from when she was twenty-something takes me straight out of the narrative.
-As already implied, this was a f***ed-up dysfuctional relationship. This is a story about people who were so cavalier about each other's feelings and concerns that they regularly chose to visit different star systems without really consuling one another. Hard for me to root for love when it sounds a lot more like unhealthy obsession.
-Post-humanism is still being hashed out in the zeitgeist, having the solution to the story be 'Don't worry, we'll be together again when both our consciousnesses are downloaded into the great computer' does not resolve anything as far as I'm concerned.

You pretty much nailed it as far as my feelings and thoughts about this story goes. The whole marriage and kids thing got to me, too. After she mentions all this it's like it was such a non-event you may as well have been talking about a bathroom break. I wasn't in love with the story before, but after that whole mess, it really just went downhill.
eytanz

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2011, 11:41:25 AM »

Congratulations to Vylar for the nebula nomination!
Dem
Lochage

aka conboyhillfiction.wordpress.com

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2011, 12:34:44 PM »

Congratulations to Vylar for the nebula nomination!
Well done Vylar - and thanks; finally, there's evidence I have taste!

I thought this was one of the best I have heard on EP. Subtle, intricate and driven by the core of humanity - needful of loving relationships - that one hopes is never lost, no matter our technological capabilities. Beautifully read by Mur too as her voice carries a soulful timbre that underpinned and lit the mood. I am less concerned that the time dilation tale has been 'done' before, what matters to me is how it's done and this version had depth and texture due to being driven by the characters and not the SF wizardry.

Science is what you do when the funding panel thinks you know what you're doing. Fiction is the same only without the funding.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: