Author Topic: By Odin's Beard! It's Thor!  (Read 4461 times)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
on: April 30, 2010, 03:58:56 PM
Marvel Comics' Thor, that is. I think he looks pretty good, actually.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 04:05:14 PM

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 04:10:09 PM
Oh, excellent! I'm off to go read them now!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 04:15:32 PM
Okay, after reading the articles...I knew Kirk's Dad was Thor, but I just can't see him there. I thought he was good in Trek, but wow, he looks pitch perfect as Thor.

I'm looking forward to seeing Odin, although I'm still kinda bummed it's not Brian Blessed. (Although we could do worse than Hopkins!)

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 04:36:38 PM
Okay, after reading the articles...I knew Kirk's Dad was Thor, but I just can't see him there. I thought he was good in Trek, but wow, he looks pitch perfect as Thor.

I'm looking forward to seeing Odin, although I'm still kinda bummed it's not Brian Blessed. (Although we could do worse than Hopkins!)

Yeah I honestly had to look two or three times before I saw it was actually Hemsworth.  And yes, Blessed would have magnificent but Hopkins...Hopkins does good wily.  I suspect that will help with Odin:)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 04:56:10 PM
Very impressive!  I'm glad to see he'll be sporting the beard.

I am so excited for this movie!  More than any of the other Marvel ones.  I have always loved Norse mythology, and was a huge fan of the comic during the Walt Simonson run (Issues 337-382), especially the latter part of that series.

Everything I hear about this sounds like it will be very, very cool.  The plot will include a bunch of stuff in Asgard so it will not just be earthbound.  The actors look promising as well:  Chris Hemsworth as Thor, Tom Hiddleston as Loki, and Natalie Portman as Jane Foster, Thor's love interest on Midgard (earth).  And Anthony Hopkins as Odin, the All-Father was great news.  Nobody this side of Morgan Freeman could be better as God, especially the capricious Odin.  Even The Warriors Three will be in it!

I think Thor will finally get the proper respect he deserves.  Well, at least since his appearance in Adventures in Babysitting.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 05:07:27 PM
I've also got to say picking Kenneth Branagh to direct was a stroke of genius. It's been a while since he's done something amazing, but he's a fantastic director, and I'm hoping this will be very big for him.

veronicahulett

• Extern
Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 02:20:14 PM
Ever since they announced this movie, I've (jokingly) said they should cast Vin Diesel in a long blond wig, but I guess this will work too. Seriously, I like what they've done with the character so far and I'm very excited about the movie.