Author Topic: Pseudopod 020: What You Wish For  (Read 13488 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: January 12, 2007, 08:24:04 PM
Pseudopod 020: What You Wish For

By Stephen Dedman.
Read by Leann Mabry.

Mara looked at the pictures, and smiled as she transformed into a clone-copy of the woman. “Nice,” she said, “very nice,” then turned around and looked up at Roy from between her legs. “Is this what you had in mind?” she asked, her hands on her lovely rump, opening herself to his view. “Don’t worry, it’s perfectly safe.” She giggled. “It’s even legal, and if it weren’t, I wouldn’t tell anybody. I won’t even scream, unless you want me to. Or do you want to spank me first?” He said nothing. “You teachers don’t get to do that any more, do you?”

“Why the Hell are you here?”

She looked innocent. “Don’t you know the saying? Never look a gift whore in the mouth.”

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

spycer

• Extern
    • livejournal
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 04:00:59 AM
I really enjoyed this one. I see why there was a warning, even for being pseudopod, but it really did have a good flow and pace, and a great ending.

Grock!

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 04:41:10 AM
yea this was the most sexually explicit episode of all escape artists, surprised me when i started listenin to it, mostly cuz i didnt listen to the warning in the beginning.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 03:43:11 AM
I thought it was a little pokey in the beginning, but the explicit sex helped keep my interest. ;D
The end was surprising, effective, and left me more creeped out.

I thought the reading of Mara was good, but Roy's voice didn't seem very emotionally moved by any of it. 

Coyote

• Palmer
Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 07:08:51 AM
This episode (in my opinion, at any rate) suffered from the classic "great story, dry voicing" syndrome. The story was one of my favorites so far (no, this did not have to do -mostly- with the explicit sex), but I just couldn't get into the reading, and at times had no idea who was talking. Most of the charactrs sound like identical twins, with the exception of a fantastic rendition of the Succubus, all the rest of the voices seemed dry and almost monotone.

Mind you, this is just my opinion, and I mean no offense by it.

The following sentence is false. The previous sentence is true.

Russell Nash

Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 09:31:10 AM
The voicing is the classic dialog problem. When one person reads two charactors talking, it almost always gets confusing.

Jonathan C. Gillespie

• Matross
  • Writer of Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror
    • Jonathan C. Gillespie, Author
Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 11:07:54 PM
I think her voicing was fine; the issue I took is with the reader not taking pauses between section breaks.  It's confusing.  Otherwise, it was a stellar tale, full of barely-submerged menace, and I think it's a hit right out of the park.  The implied always works better than the overt.

Okay, now I just can't help myself...

begin puns*

I appreciate Pseudopod having the balls to run this story.  Some might say they've had a hard time pleasing everyone lately, but I think the vast majority have been satisfied.  There's no doubt that the staff is in bed with quality authors when they select a tale like this.

After all the explicit dialog, I found the inclusion of the PG-rated "boobs" amusing as the word was applied to Jessica Rabbit.  I would have also laughed at "funbags", "mitt warmers", etc., though perhaps given Pseudopod's horror slant, "tommy knockers" would have been more appropriate.

*end puns

Published genre fiction author with stories in print and upcoming.

Official site: http://jonathancg.net/ | Twitter: JCGAuthor | Facebook

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 04:23:24 PM
(Don't blame me, JC started it)
This story will make stiff competition for future stories. The surprising and satisfying climax of the story didn't come too soon, nor did the story linger when it was done. Though the illusion to the town's name did arouse suspicion, the careful inclusion of mundane detail, suitably dry environmental description, expectation of a twist, and compelling character interactions worked to erect a masterful piece of fiction.

Seriously, great story, and I wasn't put off by the reading. The succubus was well voiced, and I would have been distracted if the reader had tried to do a voice for each character.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 12:22:16 PM by Thaurismunths »

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Steven Saus

• Matross
  • mmmm. goat cheese.
    • Ideatrash
Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 04:45:35 PM
I loved it.  Easily my favorite Pseudopod to date - and I think the reading helped.  Yeah, there was a little pausing issue, but the timbre and pitch of her voice just fit really well.

Walking is the process of controlled stumbling.

fiveyearwinter

• Peltast
Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 03:12:07 PM
Not bad. Not bad at all.

Although I figured he would catch on sooner than he did.

robertmarkbram

• Palmer
    • The Blog for Rob
Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 11:19:45 PM
I like how Roy was so conflicted, as though he knew at some level that it was a trap, but was still curious.

I was quite surprised by the ending, although I knew at some level it was a trap, but I was still curious. :)

I had no trouble with the voicing.. though I think Leann Mabry could call a horse race and I would still pay rapt attention!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 09:48:31 PM
This is one of my favorites on Pseudopod so far. 

The explicit sex definitely kept things interesting, and I liked the reading in general.  And wow, LOVED the reading in the succubus voice.  I didn't see the ending coming, which is always a plus, though I suspect she's off doing her thing somewhere else and it was all just another ploy.

Really, really good stuff.  And I'm glad to see that PP doesn't shy away from sex.  :)

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 06:31:46 AM
Ended a bit suddenly for me, but it was a great story by a great Aussie writer.

I loved the reading -- I thought the times the reader took Mara's voice she injected the right amount of... well... sexy. Ahem. Hmm. Moving on.

Did I mention Stephen Dedman is an Aussie.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 12:18:36 PM
And did I mention what an awesome name "Dedman" is for a horror writer.   ;D

Millenium_King

• Lochage
    • Ankor Sabat
Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 11:28:15 PM
This one gets a lukewarm reaction from me.  It was easy to follow, but the characters' motivations confused me.  He never seemed shocked enough, nor did he ever seem to really desire the succubus - or his girlfriend.  I just got a very bland emotional reaction from him - he just seemed to drift from scene to scene.  Likewise: I have no idea where the last fantasy came from - left field, perhaps?  Was he just trying to dispose of her?  Didn't seem like it since his "desire burned up" afterward.  So why was that it?  I was actually thinking it was going to be the goth babysitter.

GREAT reading.

Visit my blog atop the black ziggurat of Ankor Sabat, including my list of Top 10 Pseudopod episodes.

Marlboro

• Matross
Reply #15 on: November 28, 2019, 04:41:56 PM
Leann Mabry has a very good voice for this sort of story.

About the ending: It's a good thing that this guy was into Dracula movies instead of Godzilla flicks or Tokyo would have been in for one hell of a ménage à trois.