Escape Artists
November 21, 2014, 09:49:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ratings and Genre Debates Re: PC107: The Behold of the Eye  (Read 6985 times)
Wilson Fowlie
Hipparch

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2010, 08:41:44 AM »

I guess it's a taste thing? I found that scene in "Mermaid's Tea Party" incredibly disturbing. I still find it incredibly disturbing. And, as subtle as it was, it was pretty explicit, which is why we slapped the warning there.

When I read Behold, the scene in question felt horrible, yes. But for me, in a cartoonish, Tim Burton, Nightmare Before Christmas kind of way.

It feels to me like a difference in sensitivity to sexual subjects versus violent ones.  But I could easily be wrong about that; I hate to generalize.

I also wonder if there's a difference in reaction to reading something than to hearing it.

(Is the other Mermaid story you're thinking about "Foam on the Water"?)

Yes. Thank you.

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham
Wilson Fowlie
Hipparch

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2010, 08:56:57 AM »

I'm not culturally American, though my passport says that's my nationality.  I'm not even culturally a First Worlder.  Though I've now lived in the U.S. for more years than I've lived outside of it, I still fail to understand things on a fairly regular basis.

I imagine that's quite stressful.

I don't know if it's any consolation, but there are people who are born and raised in this culture who don't (seem to) get things either.  Maybe not the same things, but probably comparable ones.  The Big Bang Theory's Sheldon Cooper, while cartoonish, is not much of an exaggeration over some geeks I've met.

And my wife would tell you that I have a fairly pitiful understanding of social conventions most of the time.

All of this is not to minimize or marginalize the issue but to assure you that you aren't utterly alone in it, even though the particular things you struggle with may be different.

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham
Anarkey
Meen Pie
Editor

...depends a good deal on where you want to get to

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2010, 09:40:54 AM »

I imagine that's quite stressful.

Ehhh, it's not so bad.  Outsider perspective is more useful than detrimental, in the main.  And I actually camouflage pretty well, as many outsiders do whose outsider status bears no obvious external markers.  I was bringing it up in case you thought I was being obdurate or rhetorically dense to prove a point.  I wanted you to know that it's likely I honestly don't get it and I'm not jerking you around and I'm open to being educated on any given nuance of American culture.

Of course, one does occasionally have to endure being accused of helping the bad guys win and being desensitized to torture and being allied with Bush/Cheney when one runs a story (written by a Scot) by someone who knows next to nothing about you (not even your gender) much less about your background, but hey, Dave endured it right alongside me and he's American through and through, so maybe that cannot be attributed to my cultural laterality.  

Not to say I don't appreciate your sympathy.  I do.  Thank you.  I just want to be clear we're not in a 'woe is me' situation.  I actually think I've led a pretty fortunate life, with lots of experiences that were worth having, even the unpleasant ones, and even if most other people can't identify with what I've lived.

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!
stePH
Actually has enough cowbell.
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2010, 06:36:44 PM »

It seems that I was the only one disturbed by the brutality and torture in this story. I find that deeply troubling, a sign that the CIA, Bush and Cheney have won. We are now a country where torture is so acceptable that it is a permissible metaphor in a story about a fairy. It used to be in movies, in books, that when a character engaged in torture, was even willing to engage in torture, that was a sign he/she was a bad guy. And this wasn’t a reversible role. Torture made someone a bad guy forever. It was something no one good would ever do. Something America did not do.

But those days are gone.

I blame 24 and Jack Bauer.

Oh, and as for "The Mermaids' Tea Party", the sexual violation in question did not happen "in front of a child".  The child came across the corpse after the fact, and we were left to infer what had happened from the description.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising
Anarkey
Meen Pie
Editor

...depends a good deal on where you want to get to

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2010, 06:43:08 PM »

Oh, and as for "The Mermaids' Tea Party", the sexual violation in question did not happen "in front of a child".  The child came across the corpse after the fact, and we were left to infer what had happened from the description.

Technically, this is true.  She did not observe the incident with her eyes, she only heard it happen, and saw the results afterward.  For my druthers, hearing is being present. 

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!
DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Editor

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2010, 11:25:11 PM »

I guess it's a taste thing? I found that scene in "Mermaid's Tea Party" incredibly disturbing. I still find it incredibly disturbing. And, as subtle as it was, it was pretty explicit, which is why we slapped the warning there.

When I read Behold, the scene in question felt horrible, yes. But for me, in a cartoonish, Tim Burton, Nightmare Before Christmas kind of way.

It feels to me like a difference in sensitivity to sexual subjects versus violent ones.  But I could easily be wrong about that; I hate to generalize.

I don't know. For me, the scene in the Mermaid's Tea Party is horrifically violent and sexual.

Our goal is to rate/verbally warn in regards to explicitness, whether it be explicit violence, sexuality, or language.

I suppose there's an issue of tone, too. The passage in Behold is grotesque, but when taken in context with the rest of the story - like a Teddy Bear getting turned into a monster, or Flashjack flying off into outer space or whatever, so when it starts to rain of corpses, etc., it just felt unreal and cartoonish to me.

Obviously, YMMV. (As can be seen in this discussion.)

DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Editor

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2010, 11:26:45 PM »

I also wonder if there's a difference in reaction to reading something than to hearing it.

That may be. There's probably something to be said for what you're doing while you're listening as well. (If I'm doing paperwork, or commuting, or cooking dinner, etc.)

alllie
Matross

« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2010, 07:15:17 PM »

That may be. There's probably something to be said for what you're doing while you're listening as well. (If I'm doing paperwork, or commuting, or cooking dinner, etc.)

It think so. I think if I had read it, it was only a few paragraphs, I would have skimmed over it, but hearing it read by a talented narrator made it worse. At least for me.
Fenrix
Curmudgeon
EA Staff

Have you found the Yellow Sign?

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2010, 09:39:56 AM »

Then what is pseudopod for?

Having wandered around the PseudoPod episode comments enough, I can confidently state that the editors picked the best venue for this story. I can only imagine the bitching about "you got fairies in my pseudopod". Now if the middle section with Fuzzy was puled out alone and warped a bit more, it would be a solid candidate. But instead, it was used as a tempering agent in a fairy tale.

I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Rachel Swirsky
Hipparch

« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2010, 12:27:49 AM »

Is the other Mermaid story you're thinking about "Foam on the Water"?

We tagged a warning on that one because it had BDSM in it. The first narrator I approached about reading it actually refused because he found it too offensive. It was a narrator who frequently reads for Escape Artists and he added that he'd never turned down a story before.

The new rating system looks awesome, Anna & Dave.
Millenium_King
Lochage

« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2010, 01:06:35 AM »

Having wandered around the PseudoPod episode comments enough, I can confidently state that the editors picked the best venue for this story. I can only imagine the bitching about "you got fairies in my pseudopod".

Actually, I recall "Bottle Babies" avoiding that one.

Visit my blog atop the black ziggurat of Ankor Sabat, including my list of Top 10 Pseudopod episodes.
Fenrix
Curmudgeon
EA Staff

Have you found the Yellow Sign?

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2011, 04:24:24 PM »

Having wandered around the PseudoPod episode comments enough, I can confidently state that the editors picked the best venue for this story. I can only imagine the bitching about "you got fairies in my pseudopod".

Actually, I recall "Bottle Babies" avoiding that one.

Fair enough. But I think we can differentiate the fairies between the two stories. The Bottle Babies fairies fit the old Grimm mold of capricious and vicious and downright "not nice". Even with the sex and filthy language, Behold of the Eye fairies are a bit closer to an adult version of Disney fairies. Monsters versus more human creatures.

I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: