Author Topic: Fantasy Literature Poll - Group F  (Read 12698 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: June 17, 2010, 04:54:52 PM
Wow, that was a close one!  Last week saw the first tie for first place!  Elric and Coraline won the honors!  There need be no runoff, they both advance.   Coming in just one vote behind was Wicked, then a vote behind that were three entries: Magician, The Little Prince, and Screwtape Letters.  Any of them could have made the finals if things had gone a tad differently.

This week: Two series that are technically science fiction but reads like fantasy, some steampunk, modern day humor fantasy, and four entries that are traditional fantasy with the swords and the spells - some of them absolute classics of the genre!  But which do you like best?

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 05:11:49 PM
haven't read many from this group, but the Tad Williams series is one of my absolute favorites, of all time, ever. :) Its the mostest bestest.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 05:33:36 PM
Now we get to some of my favourite fantasy series of all time, and they go head-to-head. How unfair ;)

BTW, how can you vote for more than 8 when there are only 8 contenders??
"You may only select up to 8 options."
LOL!

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 05:49:37 PM
You can vote for all of them, if it makes you happy.  It's statistically identical to voting for none, but hey...

eytanz

Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 05:51:04 PM
BTW, how can you vote for more than 8 when there are only 8 contenders??
"You may only select up to 8 options."
LOL!

Oh, the forumites who have been initiated into the cabal can see the secret 9th option.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 10:56:27 PM
To be honest, I'm still waiting for my Jack-Half-A-Prayer graphic novel.

But yeah, this one's all about Bas Lag for me :)

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 11:12:48 PM
But yeah, this one's all about Bas Lag for me :)

Mmmmmmmmmm, Bas Lag.

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 02:42:16 AM
I voted for Christopher Moore, with the caveat that "anything else" refers primarily to his earlier works...

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 03:13:30 AM
I haven't read anything by Moore as yet - my ex-girlfriend loved his stuff, so I've been read to from several of them, and they sound fun.  But, uh, as far as I know Practical Demonkeeping was his first novel.  That's what it says on Wikipedia anyway.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 03:31:27 AM
Yeah, Practical Demonkeeping and Bloodsucking Fiends are both genius.  Bloodsucking Fiends, in particular, is one of my favorite books ever.

Then he got a little shaky.  Then more shaky.  Then he had a couple of good ideas buried in mounds of fluff.

Then he wrote You Suck, in which he wrote a sequel that didn't need to be written explicitly so he could piss off most of his fanbase.  That's when I stopped buying his books.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 03:32:23 AM
Oh, somehow I didnt see the Christopher Moore entry. I've loved all the books of his I've read.

Ah well.

eytanz

Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 06:37:33 AM
I enjoyed the Christopher Moore books I've read, but I wouldn't call them favourites, as opposed to at least three of the other authors in this group (Leiber, Mieville, and Williams).

Then he wrote You Suck, in which he wrote a sequel that didn't need to be written explicitly so he could piss off most of his fanbase.  That's when I stopped buying his books.

I'm curious - I have no information about the background to "You Suck", and I haven't read it (though I own a copy that's sitting on my "to read" shelf) - could you elaborate on the backstory here?

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 01:00:24 PM
"You Suck" is a sequel to "Bloodsucking Fiends."  BF is subtitled "A Love Story," and in the end, that's what it is.  There are colorful characters and a relatively light-hearted plot that has a lot of fun bouncing around San Francisco and wraps up fairly neatly on a hopeful/ominous note for our young couple.

"You Suck" is just a satirical mockery of the glitter-mad vampire fandom.  Like, did you ever read "The Princess Bride"?  You know how Goldman has that epilogue that talks about "the original ending" that had Fezzik's wounds reopen and etc.?  "You Suck" is an entire novel of "but then Fezzik's wounds reopened and the Prince's guards started to catch up and..."  He turns the goofballs from the first book into unpleasant assholes and then has them all attack each other until what was a pleasant little story is left in smoldering ruins.  I strongly suspect that it was written with vengeance in mind, a sort of backhand at the romance fans who wanted another love story about vampires because they liked the first one so much.  It felt mean-spirited to me.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 02:52:19 PM
'You Suck' was, I believe, the first Christopher Moore book I ever read, and I thought it was hilarious. Loved it. I'm assuming it helps I didn't realize it was a sequel of sorts and never read the first one. Heh.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010, 02:38:26 AM
Christopher Moore is usually very funny.  I just don't like it when he's trying to laugh at *me*. 

eytanz

Reply #15 on: June 19, 2010, 09:19:30 AM
"You Suck" is just a satirical mockery of the glitter-mad vampire fandom.  Like, did you ever read "The Princess Bride"?  You know how Goldman has that epilogue that talks about "the original ending" that had Fezzik's wounds reopen and etc.?  "You Suck" is an entire novel of "but then Fezzik's wounds reopened and the Prince's guards started to catch up and..."  He turns the goofballs from the first book into unpleasant assholes and then has them all attack each other until what was a pleasant little story is left in smoldering ruins.  I strongly suspect that it was written with vengeance in mind, a sort of backhand at the romance fans who wanted another love story about vampires because they liked the first one so much.  It felt mean-spirited to me.

Thanks for explaining - I was rather curious, based on your original forumulation, whether Moore explicitly stated that he meant "You Suck" to be a swipe at his audience/franchise.

I read "Bloodsucking Fiends", which I found amusing though I did not like the ending. For me, there were too many things swept under the flow of the narrative that I would have liked somewhat resolved (esp. the girl vampire killing her love interest's best friend and lying about it to him). So I was sort of thinking that a sequel was justified. Of course, "You suck" itself may leave me more unsatisfied, but I guess I'll see when I get to it.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #16 on: June 20, 2010, 09:04:18 AM
If "A Wizard Of Earthsea" doesn't win well, I guess folks haven't read it.

Father Beast

• Lochage
Reply #17 on: June 20, 2010, 01:48:34 PM
haven't read many from this group, but the Tad Williams series is one of my absolute favorites, of all time, ever. :) Its the mostest bestest.

I read the dragonbone chair, and then a bit into the second book, but lost interest after I figured out where the three swords were.

I also read the first of the cyberpunk series, but wasn't interested enough to read the second....

Father Beast

• Lochage
Reply #18 on: June 20, 2010, 01:49:19 PM
If "A Wizard Of Earthsea" doesn't win well, I guess folks haven't read it.

That may be true. I haven't read it yet.

eytanz

Reply #19 on: June 20, 2010, 08:16:32 PM
I have read it, and it never stuck with me that much. I do love the followup novel (The tombs of Atuan), though.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #20 on: June 21, 2010, 12:46:52 AM

I read the dragonbone chair, and then a bit into the second book, but lost interest after I figured out where the three swords were.

I also read the first of the cyberpunk series, but wasn't interested enough to read the second....

We must have completely opposite tastes.

If by 'Cyberpunk' you mean Otherlands, that's my absolute favorite series of books ever. Well, maybe second favorite. I thought it was brilliant. :) I have a signed print of Whelan's cover art for book 1 up on my wall. :)

Father Beast

• Lochage
Reply #21 on: June 21, 2010, 11:57:17 PM

We must have completely opposite tastes.

If by 'Cyberpunk' you mean Otherlands, that's my absolute favorite series of books ever. Well, maybe second favorite. I thought it was brilliant. :) I have a signed print of Whelan's cover art for book 1 up on my wall. :)

Yeah, the otherlands, that's it. As you say, we must have completely opposite tastes

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #22 on: June 22, 2010, 12:48:32 AM
I'm kind of confused that you thought the point of the Dragonbone Chair series was where the swords were.  You're supposed to figure that out.  It's practically got a neon sign on it.  That's like saying, "I stopped reading the Lord of the Rings once I figured out who Gollum really was."

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #23 on: June 23, 2010, 03:27:02 AM
Coming up on last day of voting.  Two entries are currently tied for first, with another entry just a vote behind that.

Father Beast

• Lochage
Reply #24 on: June 23, 2010, 11:29:49 AM
I'm kind of confused that you thought the point of the Dragonbone Chair series was where the swords were.  You're supposed to figure that out.  It's practically got a neon sign on it.  That's like saying, "I stopped reading the Lord of the Rings once I figured out who Gollum really was."

Sorry, but that was the only thing keeping me going in the series. nothing else of interest was going on.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #25 on: June 23, 2010, 11:42:21 AM

Sorry, but that was the only thing keeping me going in the series. nothing else of interest was going on.

I think you maybe got your hands on some weird, alternate universe version of the series.

Cause the one I read was awesome. :p

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #26 on: June 23, 2010, 07:39:30 PM
So, am I the *only* person who has read and liked the Darkover books by Marion Zimmer Bradley?
Man that was one great epic series...