Author Topic: PodCastle seeking diverse narrators (again).  (Read 6854 times)

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
on: June 18, 2010, 12:28:54 AM
PodCastle is considering some stories that have very specific narration requirements.  Again.  Because we can't have life being easy, can we? 

Since our search for Spanish speaking narrators by posting on the forum turned out very satisfactorily, we're trying again.

What we need:

• Irish narrator, male.
  • Australian narrator, female.
  • Southern USian narrators, both male and female, preferably black.
  • (I'm aware this is a stretch, but I can't get what I don't ask for) Louisiana Creole or New Orleanian narrator, gender not critical but male has slight advantage, and preferably black.

Generally speaking, and not for any given specific story, we would like to have more persons of color available for narration, of all genders.

If by any chance, you already read for us, and you fit these criteria, do let us know (frex you're an American Southerner and you can put on and take off the accent as required).

Please send voice samples, or links to voice work to editor(at)podcastle(dot)org.  Put "reader sample" or "reader audition" or something else indicative in your subject field.  And because I'm not always as astute as I'd like to think, mention which of the above categories you aim to fill (if you aim to fill one of them). 

We always accept reader samples and always consider requests to read.  You don't have to fit into the above mentioned categories to read for us.

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 08:42:37 PM
And I'll point out that Pseudopod could use all of the above as well.  If PC hasn't found these people, we haven't either, because we definitely share narrator contact info with each other (unless a narrator were to request otherwise, I suppose...)  You can send auditions to the address above; or if for some strange reason you're especially interested in Pseudopod in particular you can send to me at editor@pseudopod.org.

What should you use as sample text?  I used to have some sample text I would send to potential narrators, but I got tired of listening to it, and it didn't contain enough dialogue anyway.  I recommend choosing something about as wordy as you can comfortably handle, with (or accompanied by another excerpt with) some dialogue between two characters.  No more than a minute or so total if you're cutting it just for an audition with us (especially if you're attaching a file of it -- in which case it should be in a compressed format like mp3).  Linking to something you've done before which you enjoyed (and which heavily features YOUR voice alone) is just fine as well.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 08:32:20 PM
We always accept reader samples and always consider requests to read.  You don't have to fit into the above mentioned categories to read for us.

I've been meaning to buy a better microphone and send an audition (not for this specific request, but in general)--must bump that up my to-do list.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 04:10:38 AM
Hey everyone!

Once again - we've got some stories in the PodCastle library that we're hoping to find just the perfect narrators for.

What we need:

• Southern USian narrators, both male and female, preferably black.
  • (I'm aware this is a stretch, but I can't get what I don't ask for) Louisiana Creole or New Orleanian narrator, gender not critical but male has slight advantage, and preferably black.

Generally speaking, and not for any given specific story, we would like to have more persons of color available for narration, of all genders.

If by any chance, you already read for us, and you fit these criteria, do let us know (frex you're an American Southerner and you can put on and take off the accent as required).

Please send voice samples, or links to voice work to editor(at)podcastle(dot)org.  Put "reader sample" or "reader audition" or something else indicative in your subject field.  And because I'm not always as astute as I'd like to think, mention which of the above categories you aim to fill (if you aim to fill one of them). 

This is a recording :)

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 04:57:12 AM
Do y'all still have my "audition tape" on file? (recording of "Come On, Wagon!" by Zenna Henderson)

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 06:01:17 AM
I don't speak with a Southern accent normally, but I can do a pretty passable one, at least the flat and nasal one you get in Virginia.  The Deep South, that lawhng and drawhn-auowt drawuhl... I'm a little shakier on.  And I can't do Texan to save my life.

What's the best way to audition?  Read a whole story?  Two minutes?  Five minutes?

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 12:36:58 PM
Two to five minutes of something you like is sufficient.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 03:17:27 PM
I actually affected a "country" accent (more American midwest than south) for "Come On, Wagon!" although my usual speech is "un-accented".

(How well I affected said accent, is up to the listener to decide.)

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 03:29:21 PM
i wonder if you ever need a white woman from long island to narrate a story  ;D

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 02:43:15 PM
Since someone revived the thread (and btw, there's instructions on where to send your voice sample upthread):

PodCastle is still looking for black narrators, both male and female.  A southern, creole or new orleanian would really make our day.
A male reader who can reliably pronounce Turkish.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 06:47:51 PM
I know a white Louisianan who is a singer in a band. I don't think he could pull off black, but if you needed a white one, I can ask him if he's interested.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42