Author Topic: pseudopod on wikipedia  (Read 9675 times)

deflective

• Hipparch
on: June 20, 2010, 10:38:06 PM
congrats on 200 episodes!  here, have a wikipedia page.  you've earned it.

there is also a sortable list of pseudopod episodes like the one that escape pod links to.

this page probably wont have problems with deletion since pseudopod has won a parsec but it may be a good idea to keep an eye on it for a week or two.  my time online is very erratic so i won't be able to do it myself. =/

some things that could be improved: better resolution logo, add the flash on the borderlands episodes to the list, add missing times to the list (if you have the episodes archived, the missing times aren't on the web page), double check that author & narrator wiki-links to the right people instead of someone with the same name.

if you want to help keep the list up to date you may find this script useful (it requires firefox & greasemonkey).  when you open an episode page at pseudopod.org the script generates a pop up message with the wiki code.

eg, episode199 generates:
Code: [Select]
|-
| 199 || [http://pseudopod.org/2010/06/18/pseudopod-199-broken-bough/  Broken Bough] || [[Daniel I. Russell]] || [[Graeme Dunlop]] || 24:46 || [ forum]

just needs the link to the forum added.  double check the code every time, it will be messed up now and again.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 05:06:37 PM by deflective »

eytanz

Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 10:57:47 PM
Here are a few suggestions for anyone here who has a wikipedia account (I don't) and is so inclined:

- Add links to the new page from the Escapepod page.
- Add a link from the parsec page.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 11:20:49 PM
Awesome stuff.

Link for Ben Phillips in episode listing is incorrect, as he is not a Canadian poet.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 06:40:56 PM
Is 300x300 the right resolution?  I can't find my wikipedia login to upload it, but I will if I'm the right person to do so.  (Am I?  I'm a little reluctant to interact with this thing since last time we got accused of conflict-of-interest editing just for answering questions about it.)  If someone else should upload it instead, here's the image and my best shot at a "non-free use rationale".

http://pseudopod.org/wp-content/images/300x300.jpg

(That's on our page o' banners and stuff, btw.)

{{Non-free use rationale
| Article           = Pseudopod (podcast)
| Description       = Pseudopod logo
| Source            = Original design by graphic artist Jonathan M. Chaffin, supplied for Wikipedia by Ben Phillips, CEO of Escape Artists, Inc.
| Portion           = This is the "album art" included in every podcast episode, which is incidental to the value of the works since they are all primarily audio presentations.
| Low resolution    = Yes
| Purpose           = This is the podcast's logo and also the "album art" included in every podcast episode.
| Replaceability    = The logo is copyrighted to Escape Artists, Inc., which grants permission to reproduce it not only to Wikipedia, but any media outlet or web page linking to, referring to, and/or writing about this podcast.  It is one of many banners on pseudopod.org which are made available for widespread reproduction.
| Other information = The use of the logo will not affect the value of the original works or limit the copyright holders' rights or ability to distribute them.
}}

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 07:37:26 PM
Is 300x300 the right resolution?  I can't find my wikipedia login to upload it, but I will if I'm the right person to do so.  (Am I?  I'm a little reluctant to interact with this thing since last time we got accused of conflict-of-interest editing just for answering questions about it.)  If someone else should upload it instead, here's the image and my best shot at a "non-free use rationale".

http://pseudopod.org/wp-content/images/300x300.jpg

(That's on our page o' banners and stuff, btw.)

{{Non-free use rationale
| Article           = Pseudopod (podcast)
| Description       = Pseudopod logo
| Source            = Original design by graphic artist Jonathan M. Chaffin, supplied for Wikipedia by Ben Phillips, CEO of Escape Artists, Inc.
| Portion           = This is the "album art" included in every podcast episode, which is incidental to the value of the works since they are all primarily audio presentations.
| Low resolution    = Yes
| Purpose           = This is the podcast's logo and also the "album art" included in every podcast episode.
| Replaceability    = The logo is copyrighted to Escape Artists, Inc., which grants permission to reproduce it not only to Wikipedia, but any media outlet or web page linking to, referring to, and/or writing about this podcast.  It is one of many banners on pseudopod.org which are made available for widespread reproduction.
| Other information = The use of the logo will not affect the value of the original works or limit the copyright holders' rights or ability to distribute them.
}}

Heh. After my first glance at the small logo icon, I thought it said "the squid of horror", and it seemed like Pseudopod and drabblecast had merged or something. :p

arjepm06

• Extern
Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 02:26:11 AM
It looks good for me and that was a good shot for a wonderful image. Yeah, that was also the thing I thought when I first saw it. But I was really amazed. It was cool and I like to have that image.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 08:33:33 AM by arjepm06 »

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 09:26:19 PM
the logo has been updated.

if you see something that should be changed on wikipedia then go ahead and change it since you don't need an account to edit the vast majority of the articles.  there's no way you can break anything or do permanent damage. 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 08:19:49 AM by deflective »

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 10:06:44 PM
Awesome stuff.

Link for Ben Phillips in episode listing is incorrect, as he is not a Canadian poet.

I'm also pretty sure that none of these people is our own DKT.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 08:34:56 AM
I didn't know EA had a policy against authors reading their own stories -- is that right?

I can see why, though. Having listened to the Tor.com podcast where several did, I might implement the same thing myself. (No offense intended, Mur, honest).

OTOH, I listened to a StarshipSofa 'cast read and authored by Spider Robinson which was fantastic. Guess it depends on the author.

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 08:10:05 PM
I didn't know EA had a policy against authors reading their own stories -- is that right?

I can see why, though. Having listened to the Tor.com podcast where several did, I might implement the same thing myself. (No offense intended, Mur, honest).

OTOH, I listened to a StarshipSofa 'cast read and authored by Spider Robinson which was fantastic. Guess it depends on the author.
Yes, but Spider happens to be an awesome reader, and has an excellent sound rig as well, probably for his music.  The marvelous exception that proves the rule.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 08:11:51 PM

Conversely, I absolutely loved hearing the authors read their own stories on that podcast.

Audio quality was not necesarily so great, but I still thought it was neat.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 02:48:35 PM

I hadn't realized it was a policy but I like the idea in general.  If you have a reader who is not the writer then it is a collaborative effort with both offering something to the mix--I think that collaboration really adds something to audio fiction.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 11:58:01 PM
pseudopod's episode list is facing deletion.

i'll be back online in a week or so to make a case to retain it but until then people interested in keeping it around should follow the deletion link on that page and have your say.

eytanz

Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 11:06:06 AM
pseudopod's episode list is facing deletion.

i'll be back online in a week or so to make a case to retain it but until then people interested in keeping it around should follow the deletion link on that page and have your say.

Note that they should do so only if they already have a wikipedia account. Anyone from the forums who joins wikipedia to protest the deletion would fall afoul of wikipedia's sockpupet policy (which specifically mentions people joining in to protest a deletion after a call on a related forum)

(Not, mind you, that anyone did post anything there. It's just that I've been burned before by the rules of wikipedia so I thought I'd post a warning here)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 11:28:04 AM by eytanz »

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 01:16:59 AM
Heya folks. I'm trying to keep the Pseudopod Wiki page up-to-date as the new episodes come out. So if you want a handy-dandy sortable list of all the eps we've done, that's your page.