Author Topic: Best Horror Movie Ever Poll - Playoff 5 of 8  (Read 4337 times)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
on: June 29, 2010, 07:08:26 AM
In a close contest The Thing managed to beat out Poltergeist.  It turns out the alien shapeshifter had made its way from Antartica to Cuesta Verde, California.  It took the form of Carol Ann.  "I'm heeeeeere", it said.  Then, it jumped into the closet portal to trounce The Beast.

This week we have face-hugging aliens vs. fast zombies (I know, they may not technically be zombies).  Game on.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 03:06:25 PM by Swamp »

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 07:31:04 AM
Sorry, 28 Days Later.  I love you like a brother, but Alien has the weight of a classic behind it...

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 05:36:59 PM
Tee-hee. I'm the one who voted for 28 Days Later, but this is a win-win situation in my book. Alien is an amazing film.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 06:22:54 PM
:(

I thought Alien was ok, but I absolutely loved 28 days later and am sad to see it get crushed.

Admittedly, I havent seen Alien in years and years and years, and may not have actually seen all of it.

But, but.. 28 days later rules.

:/

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 08:51:19 PM
To me, Alien is one of the two best horror movies of all time.  This is, I'm sure, partly because it's the first horror film I ever saw in the theater when I was still a kid... and partly because I'm such a science fiction buff, and Alien is a groundbreaking SF film as well.  And because it's just good, and has stood the test of time.  It's aged very well, except for the embarrassing scenes in the computer room communicating with Mother.  The actual Giger designs for the monster in all it's various forms are of course still haunting, with only familiarity diluting the effect. 

But anyway it really doesn't matter what Alien is up against, I'm going to vote for it.

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 04:20:35 AM
I just watched Alien again last night, and there were still some major plot elements that I had not "gotten" before. I had always thought that the face-hugger parasite alien was of the same species/race/whatever as the giant pilot, but this time I realized that it was just another victim of the parasite alien.

I voted for Alien mostly because of the Giger designs.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 04:31:38 AM
I think the real problem with comparing these two is that "28 Days Later" is an exemplar of its type, but a late-comer to the field, while "Alien" in many ways defined a lot of its own genre.  It's like comparing Babe Ruth to, um, a really good modern ballplayer.  The modern guy might even have better stats (IIRC, all of Babe Ruth's records have been beaten), but he's a polished latter-day version, not one of the Big Names.  No one in later years is going to think of a given zombie flick as being in the style of "28 Days Later," but there's a whole aesthetic to Alien that has spawned innumerable copycats, knockoffs, and a whole little subgenre of scifi/horror.