Author Topic: PC111 / 641: And Their Lips Rang With The Sun  (Read 27392 times)

eytanz

Reply #50 on: July 17, 2010, 02:33:45 AM
I really enjoyed the story. Interesting world, interesting plot, beautifully written. Very well read, too. I found nothing to dislike about it (except for the fact that Qaf was pronounced Uf - that threw me, since I know there's no letter Uf in Arabic, so I thought this was a made-up language).

Also, I was a bit surprised at the end, after the reveal, by how surprised Lam was at the identity of her son (I kind of suspected who it was the moment she said he was taken away and never seen again). I thought she would at least have had some suspicion, given that she took the time to tell the story and all - but I guess it's true she just liked to tell it to random strangers.

ellecee

• Palmer
    • Points In Time and Space
Reply #51 on: July 23, 2010, 01:51:01 AM
the end still made water come out of my face a little.

You might want to get that checked out, it could be a sign of a major leak.  ;)

I got a plumber in. Safely suppressed fixed.

Paranatural

• Palmer
Reply #52 on: July 27, 2010, 05:20:23 AM
I should have liked this story, but I didn't. I just listened today, and it made no real impression on me. I kinda liked the whole descriptive bell-mouthed sun-dancers and the moon-bound men idea, the story just never really Gelled with me. The girls sat around the roof of the temple all day...thinking about the sun. Eh, just seemed silly. There was basically no interaction between all these women who spent all day doing nothing but spending it in eachothers presence, and instead they seemed basically totally empty-headed, except for one girl who had the infinitesimally small amount of curiosity as to wonder what the sun last touched upon as it set. To me, it seems if all you are supposed to do for 14 years is think about the sun, this is about the least curious you can get without having some sort of brain injury, and the whole moral of the story was 'never wonder about anything or do anything unusual  or all of society will collapse'. As a geek, that's a bit of a rough idea to swallow, and one I reject fully, along with the rest of the story.

LadyofFate

• Extern
Reply #53 on: July 28, 2010, 02:30:41 AM
I found the intro and outro more interesting than the story itself. The story was so unengaging that I had a hard time paying attention for at least the first twenty minutes, but still got to the end without feeling like I'd missed anything crucial to understanding the story.  Didn't care much for the narrative style either.

I felt exactly the same way. The story bored me, the narrative within a narrative annoyed me, and the ending felt contrived and unemotional for me. I was also very creeped out with the idea of bells being attached with hooks through my lips, but that was a personal problem.

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
Reply #54 on: September 29, 2010, 04:34:27 PM
Add me to the ones who really liked the story, though I thought at the end that it was the husband who the woman was speaking to, not the sun. Didn't listen too well, I guess. I loved the mythology of women performing a dance to raise the sun, and that there were consequences of not doing so--in fact, I would've loved to hear a story set in the same time about the sun NOT rising (ie, the women being bound, or kidnapped, or something). I really loved the whole alphabet thing and having a moon counterpart that was worshipped by men. And of course, N.K's reading...sigh...

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly

Hambitron

• Extern
    • Flickrstream
Reply #55 on: September 29, 2010, 06:01:06 PM
the bells on the lips was one of my favorite details in this story.  although i dont currently sport any piercings i'm a big fan of those who do and i've been pierced in the past more for the experience and less for the aesthetic.  what really captured me about the bell piercings was that the women never spoke again after they were removed for they could not bear hearing their voice dull and unaccompanied by the mystical tinkling of the bells.

another aspect of the story that captured me was the relation of men tot he moon and women to the sun. due to a former love this resonated on a personal level.  maybe i'm off base but i've always felt that men have been associated with the sun and women the moon. the alphabetic meanings that go hand in hand with the sun and moon added yet another layer that made my brain whirl in a thousand directions and prompted a smile amidst the labor i was engaged. while the story may have been "slow" and albeit predictable in the end, i enjoyed it for its originality and the abstract connections that jumped out at me to my own life 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 06:08:53 PM by Hambitron »

I will not fall in love with anything but the words that flutter from your extraordinary mind.

yicheng

• Matross
Reply #56 on: November 01, 2010, 04:15:24 PM
Unfortunately this story didn't click with me at all.  I found the world building to be intriguing, but my problem was that none of the characters were at all relatable or sympathetic to me.  I just didn't really care what happened to them. 

Wildfire

• Extern
Reply #57 on: December 24, 2010, 11:08:46 PM
I realise I am coming to the discussion somewhat late, but I am fairly new to the podcast and am catching up with the older episodes.

This is definitely my favourite one so far, beautifully written, beautifully read and with a lovely ending that I hadn't predicted. I enjoyed it so much that it is the first one that encouraged me to come join the forum so I could say so.

Keep 'em coming.  :)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #58 on: December 25, 2010, 02:24:06 AM
I realise I am coming to the discussion somewhat late, but I am fairly new to the podcast and am catching up with the older episodes.

This is definitely my favourite one so far, beautifully written, beautifully read and with a lovely ending that I hadn't predicted. I enjoyed it so much that it is the first one that encouraged me to come join the forum so I could say so.

Keep 'em coming.  :)

Awesome, and welcome! :)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #59 on: August 26, 2020, 08:28:06 PM
This episode has been re-run as PodCastle 641: TALES FROM THE VAULTS — And Their Lips Rang with the Sun