Author Topic: EP247: Bridesicle  (Read 37336 times)

mccicecream

• Extern
Re: EP247: Bridesicle
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2010, 04:14:17 PM »
Hi, I listen to Escape Pod and Podcastle regularly, but rarely make it to the discussion forums. I had to for this story though to say how much I liked it! I was hooked right from the beginning and the narration was clear and easy to understand. 

Just a really great story, and totally terrifying at the same time!

thanks!

ceruleangrave

• Extern
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2010, 11:14:19 PM »
I really REALLY enjoyed this story. I thought the idea of "hitching" was both fascinating and horrifying. Loved the love story and the reunion in the end.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2010, 04:58:52 PM »
Hi, I listen to Escape Pod and Podcastle regularly, but rarely make it to the discussion forums. I had to for this story though to say how much I liked it! I was hooked right from the beginning and the narration was clear and easy to understand. 

Just a really great story, and totally terrifying at the same time!

thanks!

Let me just say that it's very nice when people like a story enough for it to motivate them to come share on the forum.  Sometimes it seems like all the first-time commenters are along the lines of "I like most the stuff on this podcast, but god I hated this one so much I was motivated to register and tell y'all."  Those tend to make me a little sad that complaints can be a stronger compulsion than praise. 

So, welcome!  :)

Maqz

• Extern
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2010, 06:41:11 PM »
This is the winner, or should be.  Eerily compelling.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2010, 01:49:00 PM »
As of some ungodly hour, in the continent gone topsy-turvy, this won the Hugo for Best Short Story. Other winners here (Congrats to Clarkesworld, Girl Genius, and StarShipSofa!): http://www.thehugoawards.org/
I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Lionman

• Peltast
  • Next time, I'll just let sleeping dogs lie.
    • The Practice of IT.
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2010, 07:40:53 PM »
I think my question about this story would be: So, what happens to the 'until parted by death' line in the wedding vows?  This would seem to make that...an easy means for divorce?

And the idea of hitchers made me feel a little creepy.  Now you really ARE having conversation with people in your head!
Failure is an event, not a person.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2010, 01:28:07 PM »
Heck yeah!  The last few years I've been able to predict the winner, and the trend continues.  :)

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2010, 02:55:07 AM »
As of some ungodly hour, in the continent gone topsy-turvy, this won the Hugo for Best Short Story. Other winners here (Congrats to Clarkesworld, Girl Genius, and StarShipSofa!): http://www.thehugoawards.org/

Y'all are the ones upside down.

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2010, 03:35:47 PM »
Just got around to listening to this. Wow. This story absolutely chilled me to the bone. I'm actually glad it did have a happy ending--if it didn't, I think I would've been messed up for the rest of the month. What a freaky, freaky story. No wonder it won a Hugo.
--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly

Bunchberry

• Extern
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2010, 07:09:27 PM »
This was a wonderful story.  The blend of fear, tension, love, and regrette and un-regretted past actions was perfect.  I look forward to more from this author.

luka datas

« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2012, 12:33:13 PM »
well told

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2013, 03:58:34 PM »
If you enjoyed this story, you might be interested to know that McIntosh has expanded it into a novel called Love Minus Eighty.

He talks about the book here.
"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2013, 01:40:18 PM »
If you enjoyed this story, you might be interested to know that McIntosh has expanded it into a novel called Love Minus Eighty.

Cool! Thanks for posting the link.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2013, 04:02:27 PM »

Super excited about this! Just grabbed the audiobook :)

matweller

• EA Staff
« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2013, 04:15:41 PM »
Agreed. I got some Amazon credit for Father's Day, so this one's likely to be heading to my Kindle shortly. Looks like the author owes you two, Mr. Fowlie.

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2013, 04:25:52 PM »
Looks like the author owes you two, Mr. Fowlie.

Three. :)
I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

Marlboro

• Palmer
« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2019, 01:25:49 AM »
 EP247: Bridesicle aka "Sarah, Plain and Thawed"

A lot of sci-fi begins with "what if?" but sometimes I can't help but ask "Yeah, but why would it? "

For the most part I liked this story, but I wish parts of it had been fleshed out more. You've got two big ideas, cryogenics and the "riders" and I wish there had been more worldbuilding so we could understand this society where these things are the norm a little better.

I mean, what set of circumstances would there have to be for people to be so blase about having a "rider"?

And what sort of societal changes would there have to be for insurance companies to be allowed to compel their clients into arranged marriages?

I also wonder how someone who committed suicide would be viewed after getting a second chance at life. And would there be legal consequences for someone who "murdered" their rider?

I guess I'll have to read the book to find out. :-)