Author Topic: Fantasy Literature Poll - Group H  (Read 5348 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: July 01, 2010, 06:12:33 PM
Another tie for first place last night, between Watership Down and The Graveyard Book.  One thing the poll has shown so far is that we love Neil Gaiman.  This is the fourth Gaiman book to appear in the poll, and all of them have qualified for the next round.  Every.  Single.  One.

Though other things came close.  The stories of Hans Christian Andersen were behind by just one vote, and a vote behind that was The Chronicles of Amber and A Game of Thrones.  I'm actually rather shocked that George RR Martin's epic didn't make it out of it's group - I think it's the best fantasy series published in the last 20 years.  It would probably have helped were it already finished though.  Waiting for the next book is a bitch.

So, this week!  Quidditch, an ex-unicorn, little people, dogs with clocks inside, a magic orb, short stories with a creative commons license, and two very different takes on King Arthur.  Which ones do you like?

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 09:19:52 PM
Harry Potter might win just for sheer cultural influence...

Hopefully PodCastlers remember who started us off on our audio fantasy fiction adventure...

Father Beast

• Lochage
Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 10:45:14 PM
Harry Potter might win just for sheer cultural influence...

Or because of the fact that it is actually very good....

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 11:25:14 PM
Geez, it's almost a question of who do I not vote for, because pretty much all of them are so good.

The only one that I've read that I don't love is Gulliver's Travels. I know it's a worthwhile book, but it's not one I'm in love with.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 03:27:44 AM
Or because of the fact that it is actually very good....

And major kudos to getting another generation of kids to read. And read fantasy, to boot.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 05:34:26 AM
Dang, how did I miss an opportunity to vote for "Phantom Tollbooth", my all-time favourite kid's book!!

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 02:28:02 PM
Dang, how did I miss an opportunity to vote for "Phantom Tollbooth", my all-time favourite kid's book!!

Yeah, a lot of the children's literature I love is taking a flogging in the early rounds.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”