Author Topic: Shiny questions, dystopian concerns, FTL comments, and answers of the universe  (Read 29710 times)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Well, here we are at the final flash contest of the series, Escape Pod.  I have enjoyed the previous two EA contests (don't forget to finish voting in the upcoming Pseudopod polls), but now it is my turn.  Woohoo!  I've been waiting anxiously for this.
Here is the breakdown: 

I have received 156 stories (157 if I get an expected resub).  So we are going to have 20 groups of 8 stories each with the last 4 groups (or 3) containing only seven stories.  That means there will be 5 semi-finals, and 15 stories in the final round.

So strap in, check your coordinates, and Have Fun!

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Holy crap, good turnout!

Having 15 in the final will probably spread the votes pretty thin, but with so many I'm not sure there's anything to be done about it.

And I'm VERY excited for this to be starting!

eytanz

I have received 156 stories (157 if I get an expected resub).  So we are going to have 20 groups of 8 stories each with the last 4 groups (or 3) containing only seven stories.  That means there will be 5 semi-finals, and 15 stories in the final round.

Whoa, that'll be tricky final round to vote in.

Maybe it would be better to do as follows:

18 groups, of which 12/13 are of 9 and 6-7 are of 8. The top 3 in each group go into 6 quarter-finals of 9 stories each, and the top 3 of each quarter finals go into 2 semi-finals of 9 stories each. Then the top 4 of each semi-final go to the final, with 8 stories?

That's only one more poll than the system you propose, and it would eliminate a huge poll at the end.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
I like eytanz' idea, personally.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
I like eytanz's idea too.  Even the semifinals of 12 have been so large that the votes are spread too thin--that's okay for a semifinal, but for a final it'd be nice to have a little lower number because there seems to be a clearer winner in those cases.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Big groups lead to wide spreads, wide spreads lead to thin votes, thin votes lead to ties, ties lead to anger, anger leads to hate, and hate leads to the Dark Side.

Balu

Woohoo !

I've really been looking forward to this.

I bet there's going to be a lot of great stuff in amongst those 157 entries.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Ya, 15 is really too many for a final.  Having to do an extra round of polls will drag the contest out a little, but at least it's the last contest, and won't be stepping on the other's toes as it goes long.

So another vote for the Eytanz plan.

Swamp

• Hipparch

18 groups, of which 12/13 are of 9 and 6-7 are of 8. The top 3 in each group go into 6 quarter-finals of 9 stories each, and the top 3 of each quarter finals go into 2 semi-finals of 9 stories each. Then the top 4 of each semi-final go to the final, with 8 stories?

That's only one more poll than the system you propose, and it would eliminate a huge poll at the end.

I think that is a workable solution.  I wouldn't mind narrowing down the final votes either.  We'll proceed with this plan in mind, and I will provide the details later.

Also, I have done my best to separate out the authors with two entries so that their stories will not compete with each other in the semi quarter finals.  If I miss one or two, I am very sorry.  (This is also why part of me is screaming "No, we can't change the format of the groups because I already have everything nicely organized and segregated." :)  But I don't think it will too big of a deal to make the changes.)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 04:53:34 PM by Swamp »

Yargling

• Peltast
Question - is it a group a day/week? If not, what is the schedule of events?

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
I was hoping for a quarter-finals round in this contest if the turnout was as much higher than Podcastle's as expected.  I'm glad it (looks like it)'s going that way.  Well thought-out, eytanz!

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots

I think that is a workable solution.  I wouldn't mind narrowing down the final votes either.  We'll proceed with this plan in mind, and I will provide the details later.

Also, I have done my best to separate out the authors with two entries so that their stories will not compete with each other in the semi quarter finals.  If I miss one or two, I am very sorry.  (This is also why part of me is screaming "No, we can't change the format of the groups because I already have everything nicely organized and segregated." :)  But I don't think it will too big of a deal to make the changes.)

Did anyone tell you you're awesome today?  Well, you are.   :)  The splitting of stories so they don't end up in the same semifinals was a nice thing, but I think it's more important to aim for a structure without too many in the final, so if both my stories end up in a semifinal running it's not so bad.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots

Assuming this contest is run on similar parameters as the last one, typically the timings are:

For the preliminary groups, there is a new group posted every other day, each poll lasting about 1 week.

For the semifinal/final groups, the poll is posted about 2 days after all of its child polls have been completed.

Swamp, I hope you're reading for the long haul!  It's going to be mid-August before all the preliminary groups are posted, let alone the higher level polls.  :)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
It would be great if someone would post in a thread whenever a quarterfinal or semifinal goes live, too.  In the other polls it's been confusing, especially once the two day waiting period was enacted.  The semifinal subtopic gets created as soon as the first group is done voting, but the poll isn't actually created until a week or so later.  I know some people have reported missing voting because they didn't realize the poll was up before it was over.

If there was a thread to give announcements for poll creation, people could just keep up with that rather than having to re-check the groups... "is the poll up yet?  ... is it now?"

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
It would be great if someone would post in a thread whenever a quarterfinal or semifinal goes live, too.  In the other polls it's been confusing, especially once the two day waiting period was enacted.  The semifinal subtopic gets created as soon as the first group is done voting, but the poll isn't actually created until a week or so later.  I know some people have reported missing voting because they didn't realize the poll was up before it was over.

If there was a thread to give announcements for poll creation, people could just keep up with that rather than having to re-check the groups... "is the poll up yet?  ... is it now?"

That's a good idea.  It could even be done in this thread, and then if I can just click on the "notify" button so that I'd get an email update.  Usually I have nothing else better to do (or at least I'm avoiding any other possible duties as long as possible) so if I think of it I'll post a message here when a new semifinal/final poll goes up--if someone else notices a poll first you can post instead.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Swamp could create a new thread here just for poll notifications, that way people can ask anything in here and you wouldn't be constantly notified.

make it a locked topic too so it's ONLY poll notifications/group notifications

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Dem

• Lochage
  • aka conboyhillfiction.wordpress.com
    • Suzanne Conboy-Hill
I'd be jolly grateful for a heads-up about polls as my story might suffer from 'null points' ignominy unless I can get to it myself!
Yes I know. I read the stuff about voting for your own. Only if it's really the best. Well I'm going to add only if it's really the worst too, just so it doesn't feel unloved! :'(

Science is what you do when the funding panel thinks you know what you're doing. Fiction is the same only without the funding.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Swamp could create a new thread here just for poll notifications, that way people can ask anything in here and you wouldn't be constantly notified.

Sounds like a great idea to me.

Swamp

• Hipparch

Yes, Swamp can do that gladly.  Where is that Swamp anyway?  I'll pass it on when I find him.

Swamp

• Hipparch

Assuming this contest is run on similar parameters as the last one, typically the timings are:

For the preliminary groups, there is a new group posted every other day, each poll lasting about 1 week.

For the semifinal/final groups, the poll is posted about 2 days after all of its child polls have been completed.

Swamp, I hope you're reading for the long haul!  It's going to be mid-August before all the preliminary groups are posted, let alone the higher level polls.  :)

Everything said hear is correct (although I need to confer with my fellow mods regarding the two day wait on semifinals).

And yes I plan to be in it for the long haul.

Yargling

• Peltast

Everything said hear is correct (although I need to confer with my fellow mods regarding the two day wait on semifinals).

So... I have to wait another two days for the next round of stories I can read? *gives Swamp the puppy dog eyes*

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
So... I have to wait another two days for the next round of stories I can read? *gives Swamp the puppy dog eyes*

For the next round, yes, but there are two whole other contests' worth of stories to read while you're waiting...

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

Swamp

• Hipparch

It is tempting to go to a daily poll, I agree, but I think there is wisdom in the every other day posting.  For people who are jumping on the poll as soon as it posted, it seems like a no brainer, but for people with limited access time, once they got behind, it would be much more difficult to catch up and vote in every poll.  They are likely to just give up.  And we want as many voters as we can get.  Compared to burying people with polls and losing them, having people anxiously ready to vote for the next poll seems like a good trade-off.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
I wave my tiny fists and flail!

Portrait in Flesh

• Hipparch
  • NO KILL I

Whoa.  Didn't know you could cut a rug like that.

"Boys from the city.  Not yet caught by the whirlwind of Progress.  Feed soda pop to the thirsty pigs." --The Beast of Yucca Flats

DToland

• Matross
  • Imagine Tomorrow - Bring it to life.
Look out, he has a flail!

MCWagner

• Wins
  • Hipparch

Thomas Daulton

• Matross
I mentioned this when I submitted my stories... but here's another thank-you to Swamp for the vast effort involved in planning and organizing this thing.  From this side of the screen, it looks seamless, I must say.  I'm sure it isn't, from the other side of the screen!

Here is another vote agreeing with what Swamp is apparently planning.  Speaking as an author with two stories in the contest, avoiding "fratricide" in the early rounds would be very cool.  Thanks for taking that into consideration.  However, ultimately, in the long run, I too would prefer to see a final round with much fewer than 15 contestants.  If I really had to choose between the two modifications, I'd choose the latter.

"All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost." --J.R.R. TOLKIEN

Yargling

• Peltast

For the next round, yes, but there are two whole other contests' worth of stories to read while you're waiting...

Sorry to seem like a kill joy, but I don't like horror, so Pseudopod is out, and I've already read some of the PodCastle ones.
I mentioned this when I submitted my stories... but here's another thank-you to Swamp for the vast effort involved in planning and organizing this thing.  From this side of the screen, it looks seamless, I must say.  I'm sure it isn't, from the other side of the screen!

Indeedie! Thanke Swamp[Thing?]

Swamp

• Hipparch

Also, I have done my best to separate out the authors with two entries so that their stories will not compete with each other in the semi quarter finals.  If I miss one or two, I am very sorry. 

OK so (as laid out by eytanz):

• Groups 1-5 will have 8 stories each
  • Groups 6-18 will have 9 stories each
  • Top 3 stories from 3 groups go into a quarter final
  • 6 quarter-finals of 9 stories each
  • Top 3 stories from 3 quarter finals go into a semi final
  • 2 semi-finals of 9 stories each
  • Top 4 stories from 2 semi finals go into the Final Round
  • Top 3 are the winners

And keeping the double entries segregated should not be a problem.

Thanks for the thank you's.  I am having fun with this, too.

Chuk

• Lochage
Looks great.

--
chuk

Dem

• Lochage
    • Suzanne Conboy-Hill
Look at all that free fiction! Well done us! :D

Science is what you do when the funding panel thinks you know what you're doing. Fiction is the same only without the funding.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Sounds great!  Quick question:  in the semifinal round , when there are 4 winners per round, will there be 4 votes per person or 3?  Either one should work fine, just wondering.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Sorry to seem like a kill joy, but I don't like horror, so Pseudopod is out
*sniff* That hurts man :'(

Sounds great!  Quick question:  in the semifinal round , when there are 4 winners per round, will there be 4 votes per person or 3?  Either one should work fine, just wondering.
Oooh good question!  Personally I'd keep it at 3, but I'm not sure if it would make a difference...

And double entries are not much of a problem.  I didn't think it out too far, so there were stories by the same author competing in the semifinal rounds, but it was simple for the preliminaries.  A simple switching around of the groups themselves would have fixed that, but again, I didn't think it out for the PP contest :D

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

TripleAught

• Peltast
Group 1 was good so far. Looking forward to seeing the rest.

I like the new plan for how to move up each set of winners to the final round.  Now I just hope I can stick with voting all the way through August.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Group 1 was good so far. Looking forward to seeing the rest.

I like the new plan for how to move up each set of winners to the final round.  Now I just hope I can stick with voting all the way through August.

I think, if EP sticks with the usual timings but with these extra, the final winners will be decided about September 6th.  But there will be all-new stories up til mid-August so it won't seem like that long.  :)

mmarques

• Peltast
I like this latest plan and really appreciate all the work that Swamp is putting in. I have two stories, but I actually don't mind if they both get into the same group. As the top 3 stories progress, there's a chance that both could progress. I must admit there's a thrill in opening the new group and checking if one of my stories is within.

Swamp

• Hipparch
Urgent Message:  By mistake, I neglected to post the final section of the story "Pusher" in the Group 2 poll.  I have now added it to the story post.  My sincerest apologies to the author.  Please review this story again, and if the new section changes your opinion of the story, feel free to change your vote.

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
I admire how thorough you've been with posting this message, Swamp.  If you haven't already thought of it, may I suggest that you also post it at the beginning of the Group 3 poll (after your quote), when it goes up?

If anyone has managed to miss the 3 (or more?) messages that you've put up, that's probably the best place to catch them.

Swamp

• Hipparch
If you haven't already thought of it, may I suggest that you also post it at the beginning of the Group 3 poll (after your quote), when it goes up?

If anyone has managed to miss the 3 (or more?) messages that you've put up, that's probably the best place to catch them.

Done

I admire how thorough you've been with posting this message, Swamp.

Hey man, I messed up.  I have to make it up the the author somehow.  I hope no one views all of these alerts as an endorsement for the story.  I'm just trying to make sure it's judged (good or bad) on the submitted work.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Hey man, I messed up.  I have to make it up the the author somehow.  I hope no one views all of these alerts as an endorsement for the story.  I'm just trying to make sure it's judged (good or bad) on the submitted work.

I wouldn't see it as an endorsement at all.  Luckily, I'm behind on reading anyway, so I hadn't read the incomplete story.  :)

Biscuit

• Peltast
With all the discussion about spelling mistakes that have slipped through the quality control net, I was wondering if the contest organizers would consider allowing a little editing to the submissions. Nothing huge/grammar changing/story breaking...just the odd spelling clean up?

Or would that be considered "No correspondence will be entered into"?

I say this because a few people have commented that attention to such detail may be a deal breaker in the later voting.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
With all the discussion about spelling mistakes that have slipped through the quality control net, I was wondering if the contest organizers would consider allowing a little editing to the submissions. Nothing huge/grammar changing/story breaking...just the odd spelling clean up?

Or would that be considered "No correspondence will be entered into"?

I say this because a few people have commented that attention to such detail may be a deal breaker in the later voting.

For the other two contests, it was deemed acceptable to ask the moderators to clean up a typo or two.  Just send a private message to Swamp to ask.

Seraphim

• Matross
Is there/will there be a poll attached to the EP quarter final results?

Swamp

• Hipparch
Q
Is there/will there be a poll attached to the EP quarter final results?

Yes, after the stories that will make up the poll are determined.   9 stories (3 each from groups 1, 2, and 3)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 01:51:47 AM by Swamp »

tiggywinkle

• Matross
  • Seize the day. Fold it and make it pop up.
I have my coffee! I have my mouse! Where's group six!!!????

(Who, me? Addicted? Naw, I can stop anytime I like........)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
I have my coffee! I have my mouse! Where's group six!!!????

(Who, me? Addicted? Naw, I can stop anytime I like........)

I'll admit I checked when I got up this morning too.   I was spoiled by the early posting of group 5.  ;D 

Talia

• Muahahahaha
I am holding group six hostage in the basement.  They will be released once someone fetches me... a shrubbery.

FireTurtle

• Hipparch
I am holding group six hostage in the basement.  They will be released once someone fetches me... a shrubbery.

Watchout! Group six loves peanut butter and bees! Nom nom nom. Maybe it's to busy munching on Talia to come out and be read....

“My imagination makes me human and makes me a fool; it gives me all the world and exiles me from it.”
Ursula K. LeGuin

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Much to everyone's dismay, I am totally intact. I snuck away when Group Six wasn't looking.

Swamp

• Hipparch
Then, I snuck in behind her and captured Group Six to present to you at the Escape Pod Flash Zoo.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Then, I snuck in behind her and captured Group Six to present to you at the Escape Pod Flash Zoo.

Will there be pills to make it think that it's there with a bunch of other groups instead of bizarre alien blobbies?

k2

• Extern
I've been reading all this over someone's shoulder, but I can no longer contain myself when we disagree!  So here goes...  Hope I am doing this right.

Swamp

• Hipparch
I have a gnereal question.  Are you all enjoying the guessing game with the sf quotes or should I just reaveal the sources of the quotes at the start of the polls?  Not that is matters too much, but if you'd rather just know the source instead of waiting until the poll is closed, then I can do that.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
I have a gnereal question.  Are you all enjoying the guessing game with the sf quotes or should I just reaveal the sources of the quotes at the start of the polls?  Not that is matters too much, but if you'd rather just know the source instead of waiting until the poll is closed, then I can do that.

nah, I like that the poll posts are creative, just like Bdoomed's little fun stories, helps mix up the format.  And, well, it staves off paranoia that you're a robot if you speak conversationally and don't exist ONLY to make sure our behavior conforms to pre-defined parameters.  That's a good distinction to keep with the robotic uprising always on the horizon.

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
I have a general question.  Are you all enjoying the guessing game with the sf quotes or should I just reaveal the sources of the quotes at the start of the polls?  Not that is matters too much, but if you'd rather just know the source instead of waiting until the poll is closed, then I can do that.

I like the guessing game - even though I've only recognized 3 sources so far -  but I'd like to see the reveal done a maybe little sooner?  I think after a certain point it's pretty evident that no one is guessing any more (at least not in posts, maybe in their heads).

Not that waiting until the poll is done is unreasonable - I'm just impatient. :)

mmarques

• Peltast

I try to guess the quote, but I usually have no idea. Plus, I actually didn't notice the quotes until recently. Yes, I'm weird.

Dem

• Lochage
    • Suzanne Conboy-Hill

I try to guess the quote, but I usually have no idea. Plus, I actually didn't notice the quotes until recently. Yes, I'm weird.
I only figured out it was a quote teaser when I recognised one and wondered what it was doing there. Humph, I thought, that certainly isn't original! Dear Moderator...
 ;D

Chuk

• Lochage
I'd like at least some chance to guess although I think I've only recognized one precisely and a couple vaguely, but it doesn't have to wait until the end of the poll for the reveal.

--
chuk

FireTurtle

• Hipparch

I like seeing them, even though I have feeling of vague foreboding whenever I see words I KNOW I have read at some time but can't recall where. Maybe the reveal could be one or two days before the poll closes as a reminder that the poll is closing so VOTE?

“My imagination makes me human and makes me a fool; it gives me all the world and exiles me from it.”
Ursula K. LeGuin

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Maybe the reveal could be one or two days before the poll closes as a reminder that the poll is closing so VOTE?

Ooo, I like that idea.  Seconded!

Thomas Daulton

• Matross

I am enjoying the quotes, definitely.  I also kinda like the suspense of not knowing the quote until several days have gone by... "Ohhhhhh, yeaaahhhhh, _THAT's_ where I read that."  So as far as I'm concerned Fire Turtle has a superb idea.

However there is one quote I would really, really like to know about.

I would really like to know who, and under what circumstances, stabbed a Chicken Nugget (TM) with a Sharpie (TM)...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 06:04:19 PM by Thomas Daulton »

"All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost." --J.R.R. TOLKIEN

Faraway Ray

• Lochage
  • "I loved it!" "So? You also loved World War II!"

I am enjoying the quotes, definitely.  I also kinda like the suspense of not knowing the quote until several days have gone by... "Ohhhhhh, yeaaahhhhh, _THAT's_ where I read that.  So as far as I'm concerned Fire Turtle has a superb idea.

However there is one quote I would really, really like to know about.

I would really like to know who, and under what circumstances, stabbed a Chicken Nugget (TM) with a Sharpie (TM)...

Possibly Dr. McNinja.

Did you know that chicken Mcnuggets are 30% disobedient robots?

A story of lust, violence and jelly.

Well, Here I Am. My little slice of the blaggin' world.

Thomas Daulton

• Matross
Possibly Dr. McNinja.

Heh heh!  That one got an LOL.  However I just Googled the quote and found it's from the recent Steve Carrel movie, "Date Night".  Never saw it.  That one line alone tempts me to rent it, though.

Swamp

• Hipparch

Possibly Dr. McNinja.

Heh heh!  That one got an LOL.  However I just Googled the quote and found it's from the recent Steve Carrel movie, "Date Night".  Never saw it.  That one line alone tempts me to rent it, though.

The movie is allright.  It's mostly funny because Carrel and Fey are funny.  There are some good parts to it.  That line in particular really made me laugh and then giggle for days afterward and it's just random enough that it made for a good signature quote.

Subgenre

Hm. Anyone else have a story that got thrown out after an email of acceptance but before the postings?

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Hm. Anyone else have a story that got thrown out after an email of acceptance but before the postings?

Huh?  I'm just not sure what you mean.

Dem

• Lochage
    • Suzanne Conboy-Hill

Huh?  I'm just not sure what you mean.
Me neither. What reason was given?

Thomas Daulton

• Matross
I assume Swamp will step up and comment here, but in the meantime I suspect this is the explanation:

Swamp had to switch a lot of the stories from round-to-round in order to prevent two stories from the same author from competing against each other in the same primary round.

"Subgenre" submitted a story early in the month, and supposedly these stories are posted in roughly the order received.  But because Swamp had to switch things around as noted, "Subgenre"'s story has not appeared yet, even though more than half of the submissions have by now appeared in primary rounds.  Therefore "Subgenre" thinks his story has been skipped. 

If that turns out to be the explanation, then "Subgenre" can relax; his story will show up, probably very soon.  But Swamp is gonna have to verify that explanation.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
It depends on what "thrown out" and "acceptance" were supposed to mean in that initial comment.  I'm honestly uncertain.

Swamp

• Hipparch
I did get a question from someone on the EAFlash email who assuned the EP contest only had 12 groups similar to the PC and PP contests.  This one has 18 groups.

Subgenre, probably the best thing to do is reply to my acceptance email and I can tell you when your story will appear.  I did move some of the stories around as described in the above post.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 09:56:41 PM by Swamp »

Swamp

• Hipparch
Notice:  I mis-spelled the title for the story "Time Thief" is this group when I posted it to the forum.  The author is dissappointed and has every reason to be.  It was my mistake.  Please do not judge the author or their abilities on my mistake.  If the title caused you not to vote for this story, please take this into account and vote accordingly.

Swamp

• Hipparch
(Maybe this thread should be renamed to "Swamp's screw-up confessional")

Notice:  Due to Group 13 improperly getting set for a 3 day run instead of the standing 7 days per poll, I have now reset the votes back to zero and restarted the voting period to 7 days.  (I did take a snapshot of the first short poll just in case there are any issues.)  Please come back and re-vote for your favorite story in Group 13.  The authors and I would much appreciate it.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 04:52:08 AM by Swamp »

Eliyanna Kaiser

• Matross
    • Just Another Writer
Hi. I was away for awhile with sh*t to do, but I'm back!

In Semi-Final Round 2 the button to change your vote is missing. I made a boo-boo. Help?

If you must mount the gallows, give a jest to the crowd, a coin to the hangman, and make the drop with a smile on your lips.
-Birgitte, R. Jordan's Wheel of Time

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.

In Semi-Final Round 2 the button to change your vote is missing. I made a boo-boo. Help?

Fixed.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Eliyanna Kaiser

• Matross
    • Just Another Writer

Fixed.

Thank you.

If you must mount the gallows, give a jest to the crowd, a coin to the hangman, and make the drop with a smile on your lips.
-Birgitte, R. Jordan's Wheel of Time

Swamp

• Hipparch
We have our winners!!

1st place
London Iron by William R. Halliar

Tied for 2nd place
Wheels of Blue Stilton by Nicholas J. Carter
           and
Light and Lies by Gideon Fostick

We will have to figure out how to divey up the prizes for Nicholas and Gideon.  I will be contacting the winning authors for their prize preferences and shipping details.  Interesting note:  Gideon won both 1st and 3rd place in our 2007 contest.  He's got the touch.

Honorable mentions that will also be purchased for production will be announced at a later time.

But really, what a great time this has been!  There were many, many great stories!  Thanks to everyone who participated!

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Congrats all, and REALLY great stories, guys. What a stellar finishing roundup. :)

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
On behalf of EP, it was really a great outpouring of stories, and I'm sure that when we do post the full list of honorable mentions it won't cover every story that we could have happily run. While I really loved the winners, I certainly had a few I wish had made it further, and really do hope that this becomes more of a regular thing. We've also nicely had an influx of people into our crit group from the contest, and I think it's a testament to the forums how little we had to intervene over the course of the three contests.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Bill

• Peltast
  • Bow ties are cool
    • Portsmouth NH SEO
I think that was the best part for me. I love listening to escape pod, I didn't realize how interesting the forums are. Now it's got me locked in to follow the regular episode discussions.

Dem

• Lochage
    • Suzanne Conboy-Hill
I think I've benefited as much from reading the discussions as the stories themselves. I've certainly learned a great deal and I very much agree with Heradel
and I think it's a testament to the forums how little we had to intervene over the course of the three contests.
about the dignity with which people's work was generally accorded. Nice going for a bunch of gizmo-heads, eh?! ::)

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Ok, queries were sent out to the four Honorable Mentions, so as soon as they all get back to me I'll post the list.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
For those of you who want to make sure your ears weren't deceiving you at the front of the feedback segment for this week's Escape Pod, the Honorable Mentions are: Many Mistakes, All Out of Order by M.C. Wagner, Episode 37 - Captain Max Stone versus DESTRUCTOBOT! by Angela Lee, and Mr. Omega By Arnie Gardner.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 01:25:03 PM by Heradel »

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
For those of you who want to make sure your ears weren't deceiving you at the front of the feedback segment for this week's Escape Pod, the Honorable Mentions are: Many Mistakes, All Out of Order by Matthew Wagner, Episode 37 - Captain Max Stone versus DESTRUCTOBOT! by Angela Lee, and Mr. Omega By Arnie Gardner.

Congratulations to them and to the winners!

Swamp

• Hipparch
Great choices!  I look forward to hearing them.  Yeah, I'd love to hear a few others, too, but we can't do them all I suppose.

Dem

• Lochage
    • Suzanne Conboy-Hill
There are several I would like to hear read because I'm guessing my own reading was not always up to the job. Interestingly, it's only since listening to podcasts here and at Clarkesworld that I've realised just what a good voice can add to a story. Where punctuation lacks, a skilled reader is able to instinctively deliver pauses, hestitations, pace changes and emphasis. Oh dear, I need to employ someone to sell my work!   :-\

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
And actually one more: The Best Cover Band in the Universe by Andrew Fazzari.

Would that we could have picked them all, but we editors have to sleep sometime.

falconesse

• Peltast
    • L'esprit d'escalier
Woohoo!  Excellent choices all around.  I look forward to hearing them. :)

Bill

• Peltast
  • Bow ties are cool
    • Portsmouth NH SEO
errrrgghhhhhhhhh (noting disappointment and a tinge of jealousy). No those were great stories, especially "Many Mistakes all Out of Order". After reading all these pieces I can't wait to hear them in spoken word.

MCWagner

• Wins
  • Hipparch
Horay!  With the contract signed and faxed I guess it's official.

(Uh, though "Many Mistakes, All Out of Order" should be credited to M.C.Wagner, not Matthew Wagner.  There's already a couple famous Matt Wagners out there...)

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.

(Uh, though "Many Mistakes, All Out of Order" should be credited to M.C.Wagner, not Matthew Wagner.  There's already a couple famous Matt Wagners out there...)

Right, sorry, my mistake. Given my name I should be a bit more tuned into that.

MCWagner

• Wins
  • Hipparch

Right, sorry, my mistake. Given my name I should be a bit more tuned into that.

No prob.  (I just worry now about spam filters eating my correspondence.  :)  )