Author Topic: Shiny questions, dystopian concerns, FTL comments, and answers of the universe  (Read 29729 times)

DToland

• Matross
  • Imagine Tomorrow - Bring it to life.
I wave my tiny fists and flail!
Look out, he has a flail!

MCWagner

• Wins
  • Hipparch

Thomas Daulton

• Matross
I mentioned this when I submitted my stories... but here's another thank-you to Swamp for the vast effort involved in planning and organizing this thing.  From this side of the screen, it looks seamless, I must say.  I'm sure it isn't, from the other side of the screen!

Here is another vote agreeing with what Swamp is apparently planning.  Speaking as an author with two stories in the contest, avoiding "fratricide" in the early rounds would be very cool.  Thanks for taking that into consideration.  However, ultimately, in the long run, I too would prefer to see a final round with much fewer than 15 contestants.  If I really had to choose between the two modifications, I'd choose the latter.

"All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost." --J.R.R. TOLKIEN

Yargling

• Peltast
So... I have to wait another two days for the next round of stories I can read? *gives Swamp the puppy dog eyes*

For the next round, yes, but there are two whole other contests' worth of stories to read while you're waiting...

Sorry to seem like a kill joy, but I don't like horror, so Pseudopod is out, and I've already read some of the PodCastle ones.
I mentioned this when I submitted my stories... but here's another thank-you to Swamp for the vast effort involved in planning and organizing this thing.  From this side of the screen, it looks seamless, I must say.  I'm sure it isn't, from the other side of the screen!

Indeedie! Thanke Swamp[Thing?]

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Maybe it would be better to do as follows:

18 groups, of which 12/13 are of 9 and 6-7 are of 8. The top 3 in each group go into 6 quarter-finals of 9 stories each, and the top 3 of each quarter finals go into 2 semi-finals of 9 stories each. Then the top 4 of each semi-final go to the final, with 8 stories?

That's only one more poll than the system you propose, and it would eliminate a huge poll at the end.

I think that is a workable solution.  I wouldn't mind narrowing down the final votes either.  We'll proceed with this plan in mind, and I will provide the details later.

Also, I have done my best to separate out the authors with two entries so that their stories will not compete with each other in the semi quarter finals.  If I miss one or two, I am very sorry. 

OK so (as laid out by eytanz):

• Groups 1-5 will have 8 stories each
  • Groups 6-18 will have 9 stories each
  • Top 3 stories from 3 groups go into a quarter final
  • 6 quarter-finals of 9 stories each
  • Top 3 stories from 3 quarter finals go into a semi final
  • 2 semi-finals of 9 stories each
  • Top 4 stories from 2 semi finals go into the Final Round
  • Top 3 are the winners

And keeping the double entries segregated should not be a problem.

Thanks for the thank you's.  I am having fun with this, too.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Chuk

• Lochage
Looks great.

--
chuk

Dem

• Lochage
  • aka conboyhillfiction.wordpress.com
    • Suzanne Conboy-Hill
Look at all that free fiction! Well done us! :D

Science is what you do when the funding panel thinks you know what you're doing. Fiction is the same only without the funding.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Sounds great!  Quick question:  in the semifinal round , when there are 4 winners per round, will there be 4 votes per person or 3?  Either one should work fine, just wondering.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Sorry to seem like a kill joy, but I don't like horror, so Pseudopod is out
*sniff* That hurts man :'(

Sounds great!  Quick question:  in the semifinal round , when there are 4 winners per round, will there be 4 votes per person or 3?  Either one should work fine, just wondering.
Oooh good question!  Personally I'd keep it at 3, but I'm not sure if it would make a difference...

And double entries are not much of a problem.  I didn't think it out too far, so there were stories by the same author competing in the semifinal rounds, but it was simple for the preliminaries.  A simple switching around of the groups themselves would have fixed that, but again, I didn't think it out for the PP contest :D

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

TripleAught

• Peltast
Group 1 was good so far. Looking forward to seeing the rest.

I like the new plan for how to move up each set of winners to the final round.  Now I just hope I can stick with voting all the way through August.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Group 1 was good so far. Looking forward to seeing the rest.

I like the new plan for how to move up each set of winners to the final round.  Now I just hope I can stick with voting all the way through August.

I think, if EP sticks with the usual timings but with these extra, the final winners will be decided about September 6th.  But there will be all-new stories up til mid-August so it won't seem like that long.  :)

mmarques

• Peltast
I like this latest plan and really appreciate all the work that Swamp is putting in. I have two stories, but I actually don't mind if they both get into the same group. As the top 3 stories progress, there's a chance that both could progress. I must admit there's a thrill in opening the new group and checking if one of my stories is within.

Swamp

• Hipparch
Urgent Message:  By mistake, I neglected to post the final section of the story "Pusher" in the Group 2 poll.  I have now added it to the story post.  My sincerest apologies to the author.  Please review this story again, and if the new section changes your opinion of the story, feel free to change your vote.

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
I admire how thorough you've been with posting this message, Swamp.  If you haven't already thought of it, may I suggest that you also post it at the beginning of the Group 3 poll (after your quote), when it goes up?

If anyone has managed to miss the 3 (or more?) messages that you've put up, that's probably the best place to catch them.

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

Swamp

• Hipparch
If you haven't already thought of it, may I suggest that you also post it at the beginning of the Group 3 poll (after your quote), when it goes up?

If anyone has managed to miss the 3 (or more?) messages that you've put up, that's probably the best place to catch them.

Done

I admire how thorough you've been with posting this message, Swamp.

Hey man, I messed up.  I have to make it up the the author somehow.  I hope no one views all of these alerts as an endorsement for the story.  I'm just trying to make sure it's judged (good or bad) on the submitted work.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Hey man, I messed up.  I have to make it up the the author somehow.  I hope no one views all of these alerts as an endorsement for the story.  I'm just trying to make sure it's judged (good or bad) on the submitted work.

I wouldn't see it as an endorsement at all.  Luckily, I'm behind on reading anyway, so I hadn't read the incomplete story.  :)

Biscuit

• Peltast
With all the discussion about spelling mistakes that have slipped through the quality control net, I was wondering if the contest organizers would consider allowing a little editing to the submissions. Nothing huge/grammar changing/story breaking...just the odd spelling clean up?

Or would that be considered "No correspondence will be entered into"?

I say this because a few people have commented that attention to such detail may be a deal breaker in the later voting.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
With all the discussion about spelling mistakes that have slipped through the quality control net, I was wondering if the contest organizers would consider allowing a little editing to the submissions. Nothing huge/grammar changing/story breaking...just the odd spelling clean up?

Or would that be considered "No correspondence will be entered into"?

I say this because a few people have commented that attention to such detail may be a deal breaker in the later voting.

For the other two contests, it was deemed acceptable to ask the moderators to clean up a typo or two.  Just send a private message to Swamp to ask.

Seraphim

• Matross
Is there/will there be a poll attached to the EP quarter final results?

Swamp

• Hipparch
Q
Is there/will there be a poll attached to the EP quarter final results?

Yes, after the stories that will make up the poll are determined.   9 stories (3 each from groups 1, 2, and 3)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 01:51:47 AM by Swamp »

tiggywinkle

• Matross
  • Seize the day. Fold it and make it pop up.
I have my coffee! I have my mouse! Where's group six!!!????

(Who, me? Addicted? Naw, I can stop anytime I like........)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
I have my coffee! I have my mouse! Where's group six!!!????

(Who, me? Addicted? Naw, I can stop anytime I like........)

I'll admit I checked when I got up this morning too.   I was spoiled by the early posting of group 5.  ;D 

Talia

• Muahahahaha
I am holding group six hostage in the basement.  They will be released once someone fetches me... a shrubbery.

FireTurtle

• Hipparch
I am holding group six hostage in the basement.  They will be released once someone fetches me... a shrubbery.

Watchout! Group six loves peanut butter and bees! Nom nom nom. Maybe it's to busy munching on Talia to come out and be read....

“My imagination makes me human and makes me a fool; it gives me all the world and exiles me from it.”
Ursula K. LeGuin

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Much to everyone's dismay, I am totally intact. I snuck away when Group Six wasn't looking.