Author Topic: Shiny questions, dystopian concerns, FTL comments, and answers of the universe  (Read 29572 times)

Eliyanna Kaiser

• Matross
    • Just Another Writer
Hi. I was away for awhile with sh*t to do, but I'm back!

In Semi-Final Round 2 the button to change your vote is missing. I made a boo-boo. Help?

Fixed.

Thank you.

If you must mount the gallows, give a jest to the crowd, a coin to the hangman, and make the drop with a smile on your lips.
-Birgitte, R. Jordan's Wheel of Time

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
We have our winners!!

1st place
London Iron by William R. Halliar

Tied for 2nd place
Wheels of Blue Stilton by Nicholas J. Carter
           and
Light and Lies by Gideon Fostick

We will have to figure out how to divey up the prizes for Nicholas and Gideon.  I will be contacting the winning authors for their prize preferences and shipping details.  Interesting note:  Gideon won both 1st and 3rd place in our 2007 contest.  He's got the touch.

Honorable mentions that will also be purchased for production will be announced at a later time.

But really, what a great time this has been!  There were many, many great stories!  Thanks to everyone who participated!

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Congrats all, and REALLY great stories, guys. What a stellar finishing roundup. :)

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
On behalf of EP, it was really a great outpouring of stories, and I'm sure that when we do post the full list of honorable mentions it won't cover every story that we could have happily run. While I really loved the winners, I certainly had a few I wish had made it further, and really do hope that this becomes more of a regular thing. We've also nicely had an influx of people into our crit group from the contest, and I think it's a testament to the forums how little we had to intervene over the course of the three contests.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Bill

• Peltast
  • Bow ties are cool
    • Portsmouth NH SEO
I think that was the best part for me. I love listening to escape pod, I didn't realize how interesting the forums are. Now it's got me locked in to follow the regular episode discussions.

Dem

• Lochage
  • aka conboyhillfiction.wordpress.com
    • Suzanne Conboy-Hill
I think I've benefited as much from reading the discussions as the stories themselves. I've certainly learned a great deal and I very much agree with Heradel
and I think it's a testament to the forums how little we had to intervene over the course of the three contests.
about the dignity with which people's work was generally accorded. Nice going for a bunch of gizmo-heads, eh?! ::)

Science is what you do when the funding panel thinks you know what you're doing. Fiction is the same only without the funding.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Ok, queries were sent out to the four Honorable Mentions, so as soon as they all get back to me I'll post the list.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
For those of you who want to make sure your ears weren't deceiving you at the front of the feedback segment for this week's Escape Pod, the Honorable Mentions are: Many Mistakes, All Out of Order by M.C. Wagner, Episode 37 - Captain Max Stone versus DESTRUCTOBOT! by Angela Lee, and Mr. Omega By Arnie Gardner.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 01:25:03 PM by Heradel »

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
For those of you who want to make sure your ears weren't deceiving you at the front of the feedback segment for this week's Escape Pod, the Honorable Mentions are: Many Mistakes, All Out of Order by Matthew Wagner, Episode 37 - Captain Max Stone versus DESTRUCTOBOT! by Angela Lee, and Mr. Omega By Arnie Gardner.

Congratulations to them and to the winners!

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Great choices!  I look forward to hearing them.  Yeah, I'd love to hear a few others, too, but we can't do them all I suppose.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Dem

• Lochage
  • aka conboyhillfiction.wordpress.com
    • Suzanne Conboy-Hill
There are several I would like to hear read because I'm guessing my own reading was not always up to the job. Interestingly, it's only since listening to podcasts here and at Clarkesworld that I've realised just what a good voice can add to a story. Where punctuation lacks, a skilled reader is able to instinctively deliver pauses, hestitations, pace changes and emphasis. Oh dear, I need to employ someone to sell my work!   :-\

Science is what you do when the funding panel thinks you know what you're doing. Fiction is the same only without the funding.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
And actually one more: The Best Cover Band in the Universe by Andrew Fazzari.

Would that we could have picked them all, but we editors have to sleep sometime.

falconesse

• Peltast
    • L'esprit d'escalier
Woohoo!  Excellent choices all around.  I look forward to hearing them. :)

Bill

• Peltast
  • Bow ties are cool
    • Portsmouth NH SEO
errrrgghhhhhhhhh (noting disappointment and a tinge of jealousy). No those were great stories, especially "Many Mistakes all Out of Order". After reading all these pieces I can't wait to hear them in spoken word.

MCWagner

• Wins
  • Hipparch
Horay!  With the contract signed and faxed I guess it's official.

(Uh, though "Many Mistakes, All Out of Order" should be credited to M.C.Wagner, not Matthew Wagner.  There's already a couple famous Matt Wagners out there...)

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.

(Uh, though "Many Mistakes, All Out of Order" should be credited to M.C.Wagner, not Matthew Wagner.  There's already a couple famous Matt Wagners out there...)

Right, sorry, my mistake. Given my name I should be a bit more tuned into that.

MCWagner

• Wins
  • Hipparch

Right, sorry, my mistake. Given my name I should be a bit more tuned into that.

No prob.  (I just worry now about spam filters eating my correspondence.  :)  )