Author Topic: What Was Your Favorite Hugo Story (2010 Edition)  (Read 6244 times)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
on: July 08, 2010, 03:46:51 PM
In keeping with Hugo Tradition...pick your favorite story of the 2010 Hugo nominations. Feel free to discuss the stories in general, and why you did/didn't vote for them, and whatever else below :)

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 04:04:18 PM
Bridesicle, for me. It was the best "this could actually happen" story of the bunch.

"Probabilities" was too hopeful and, in some ways, too comical. "The Moment" just didn't work for me, and was way too universe-spanning. "Bride" was just another Resnick story (so: good, but not new). "Spar" was... interesting... but I'm still digesting it and I don't think I'll end up putting it above "Bridesicle".

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 02:15:38 PM
This year's was a pretty sorry lot.  Only the two with "bride" in the title left me feeling like I hadn't wasted my time listening, and of those two I'd have to pick "Bridesicle" as the clear winner.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Sandikal

• Matross
Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 03:12:14 PM
I loved Bridesicle when I first heard it and it was even better on a second listen.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 05:05:42 PM
I enjoyed the contentiousness of Spar a great deal. To me it was the most interesting for the discussions that ensued and the rather decisively split opinions on it. It was far and away the most subtly complex - a lot was left to interpretation, which is why some people disliked it so vehemently - it meant nothing to them.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 05:22:36 PM
Wow, no love for Reznick? I find that surprising.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 06:19:31 PM
Bridesickle, hands down. I didn't like the noms as much as prior years overall.   

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 06:17:28 AM

EP listeners may have reached the Resnick saturation point.

eytanz

Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 09:27:09 AM
As usual in hugo noms, there is a division between human oriented feel good stories, and challenging concept stories. In the former category, bridesicles is the clear winner, and I found the other two enjoyable but unremarkable. In the latter category, I found the moment to be utterly wrong headed and irritating. Spar, on the other hand, the only story here which is very much not feel good, was brilliant, and my clear overall favourite.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 12:24:55 PM

This.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 04:48:26 PM

This.

Of the Resnick stories that EP has run, this is my least favorite.  If it were a story as good as Barnaby in Exile, I may still have voted for it, despite Resnick saturation.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 04:51:29 PM
Non-Zero Probabilities was okay, but by no means awe inspiring. 
Bride of Frankenstein didn't really do anything special with the Frankenstein legend that I haven't seen.
The Moment lacked characters, and relied too heavily on the unsupported assumption that humans will always be/have been the greatest species in the universe.
Spar, I can understand how other people like it, it was an original idea and lots of good telling.  But the author diluted their concept across too large a story.  As flash, this one could easily have gotten my vote.
Bridesicle, despite problems with the future-prediction, this one was easily my favorite, good conflict, chilling situation, lovely ending.

Dem

• Lochage
  • aka conboyhillfiction.wordpress.com
    • Suzanne Conboy-Hill
Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 04:29:21 PM
As usual in hugo noms, there is a division between human oriented feel good stories, and challenging concept stories. In the former category, bridesicles is the clear winner, and I found the other two enjoyable but unremarkable. In the latter category, I found the moment to be utterly wrong headed and irritating. Spar, on the other hand, the only story here which is very much not feel good, was brilliant, and my clear overall favourite.
Seconded!

Science is what you do when the funding panel thinks you know what you're doing. Fiction is the same only without the funding.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir

KaylingR

• Peltast
Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 02:34:11 AM
Bridesicle had me in tears by the end.  It hit a number of my issues, and did it well.

But Spar has stuck with me.  I read this story when it first came out, and I was disturbed and told myself I didn't need to read that again.  But I did.  And then I got to thinking about it, and i read it again.  And I heard it on Clarkesworld on a long trip.  And I read it again.  And then it came out on EP.  And everytime I have read or heard it I am struck by something new.  Spar has a lot to say without ever offering answers, and it says it so damn well.  I totally understand why people hate this story, but it gets my vote.