Author Topic: Audio Quality  (Read 3002 times)

Deeger

• Extern
on: July 11, 2010, 01:28:51 PM
Before expressing my criticism, I do realize that my 27+ years of audio production experience means my ears are fine-tuned to hear flaws. However, I have noticed that some of the recordings have hints of digital distortion remnants .  The most recent was the female voice in the episode "I Am Your Need."

It's been my experience that this occurs when the audio is processed for noise reduction.  These remnants are heard most prominently when the narrator takes a breath.  When this occurs in my own work, I will go through the audio and remove the breath sounds.  Since the listener doesn't really hear the breath sounds, they won't miss them if they are absent.  However, if you're not comfortable with removal, I have also corrected this issue by dropping the gain on the breath sounds so that the distortion remnants become less noticeable.

Please don't interpret this criticism as a dismissal of everything produced for Pseudopod.  I am a faithful listener. It's just I am sad when I cannot listen to an episode because it contains audio flaws that are too distracting.

DJ

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 11:03:44 PM
I know what you're talking about, and I will take that under advisement.  I don't always have as much time as I'd like to spend perfecting the productions, but hopefully when we get a producer on board who's just a producer (soon I hope) you'll hear an improvement in that regard.