Author Topic: Sex in SF and Literature  (Read 32324 times)

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #100 on: December 18, 2010, 12:12:35 AM
Old Oscar isn't really the most uncontroversial authority on the subject, regardless of how impressive his credentials.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #101 on: December 18, 2010, 06:13:52 AM
Old Oscar isn't really the most uncontroversial authority on the subject, regardless of how impressive his credentials.

I do wonder sometimes what Wilde would have written if he lived in more modern times. Not that I would trade it for The Important of Being Earnest, which I'm currently re-reading again.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

FNH

• Matross
  • F Napoleon H
    • Black Dog Of Doom
Reply #102 on: March 18, 2011, 10:39:25 AM
Hmmm....

If I went to watch Tron 2 ( which I didn't ) and had the choice of a 2 minute sex scene, or 2 more minutes of  tank/bike action.  I'd opt for the tanks and bikes.

As a general rule, as has been cited, sex scenes in SF are rarely there to advance the plot.  When I'm watching a Sci Fi movie I want Sci Fi.  So please shut the door, fade to black and add in more space ships!

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #103 on: March 22, 2011, 06:37:48 PM
As a general rule, as has been cited, sex scenes in SF are rarely there to advance the plot.  When I'm watching a Sci Fi movie I want Sci Fi.  So please shut the door, fade to black and add in more space ships!

2 extra minutes of action is unlikely to advance the plot either (nor is it especially science fictional, for that matter, though I would agree that it's Sci-Fi-ish [per Spider Robinson's distinction between sf and SciFi]).  It's fine if action is more to your taste than sex, but it's not intrinsically better (or worse), nor more plot-advancing.

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham