Author Topic: Pseudopod on hiatus Aug-Sept 2010  (Read 12422 times)

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
on: July 13, 2010, 03:46:31 AM
As posted on the blog at pseudopod.org:

Episode 203, scheduled for July 16, will be tardy by perhaps a week or so I can tell you now.  All this schedule craziness is what you get when you're working at the last minute and have no time, a syndrome which I intend to terminate with the assistance of a two-month hiatus over August and September 2010.  We will return with a vengeance in October.  It's the first such hiatus Pseudopod has ever taken.  Oh, I'm not taking a vacation of any kind, and we're not closing to submissions either -- our associate editors continue to slave away all month, every month, giving as much personal feedback to authors as they have time to give.  I've just fallen so far behind with submissions, production, and administrative duties, that if Pseudopod doesn't air for those two months it will *just* let me, and incidentally the budget, keep from sinking.  Assuming donations don't drop off as a result...  but we have to do this.  Delegating only gets me so far, and I would rather take a break and come back with quality shows than resort to stopgap measures.

The winners of our flash fiction contest will still be produced, either in October or sooner.  Voting in our final poll closes July 22, so you can go there for some free online fiction!  Vote for your favorites.  (Free registration is required to see the candidates and vote.  No, we're not going to spam you -- it's a legal kludge so they remain technically unpublished.)

Enjoy the rest of July -- we'll post them as soon as we can.

- Ben Phillips, chief editor

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 06:36:58 AM
I just signed up for recurring donations, so that'll happen over the hiatus, at least.  Don't die, Pseudopod!  (Un-die?)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 07:28:48 AM
I will most likely re-post this in the Episode Comments board come August.  Might I suggest a mini metacast?

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 02:46:02 PM
I've been meaning to sign up for recurring donations.  I shall consider myself reminded!

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 03:05:28 AM
I will miss PP terribly but I'd rather you regroup and come back punching. Good luck!

pitmonkey

• Extern
  • I'm just here for the beer... and stories.
Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 01:52:46 PM
I'm glad you were able to make the executive decision to step back and catch your breath.  While this is my first and favorite story podcast I will use this chance to catch up on some other sites. 

Keep up the great work, I'd rather have you bank the fires and come back blazing than just slowly burning out. 

Proud 1%er (w/in Escape Artists only)
Nothing else to see here folks.

BarryJNorthern

• Extern
Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 12:27:43 PM
The announcement of the hiatus reminds us all how hard the denizens of Pseudopod Towers work, and I'm glad they've taken the sensible decision to maintain their high quality. I sincerely hope no-one decides to cancel their recurring donations, as it's clear that everyone's still working hard behind the scenes. I'm sure the "re-launch" in October will be grand, I look forward to it.

Might this perhaps become a regular breather? Maybe a move over to a season-based schedule would be no bad thing.

In the meantime, if you're hankering for audio short horror fiction, you could do worse than head on over to my podcast, Cast Macabre. It's no Pseudopod, but it might help fill that gap until its eagerly awaited return . . .

Millenium_King

• Lochage
    • Ankor Sabat
Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 07:11:31 PM
Keep up the great work PP!  I look forward to October!  Meanwhile, I will keep plunging into the depths of the archives!

I'd also like to mention that Cast Macabre is a fantastic podcast and a recommend it to anyone suffering from PP withdrawls!  In fact...  they recently produced my flash story "The Joining" so for everyone who liked "Ankor Sabat" (and everyone who hated it too!) head on over and get your fix!

P.S.  I also heard that they might soon be airing an episode by another PP author: the venerable Helmut Finch...

Visit my blog atop the black ziggurat of Ankor Sabat, including my list of Top 10 Pseudopod episodes.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 02:56:33 AM
The announcement of the hiatus reminds us all how hard the denizens of Pseudopod Towers work, and I'm glad they've taken the sensible decision to maintain their high quality. I sincerely hope no-one decides to cancel their recurring donations, as it's clear that everyone's still working hard behind the scenes. I'm sure the "re-launch" in October will be grand, I look forward to it.

I second this.

The hiatus sounds like a wise decision Ben.

-T

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 03:41:25 AM
Almost one month down. Not that I'm counting the days or nuthin' ;-)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 04:34:34 AM
It is a bit like going through withdrawals, isn't it? Or counting down the days to a loved one's long promised resurrection...

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 06:03:50 PM
I fear the podcast will want to eat our brains come October. Well, more than usual at least.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 07:19:22 PM
I fear the podcast will want to eat our brains come October. Well, more than usual at least.

That wouldn't be unreasonable. I mean, it's not going to eat our eyes.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Marguerite

• Editor
    • Cast of Wonders
Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 10:16:03 PM

I'm passing the time by re-listening to old favorites, which so far has consisted of Flash on the Borderlands "Survival Skills" about six times now...

Glad to see another JoCo fan.  :-)

Alea Iacta Est!

Millenium_King

• Lochage
    • Ankor Sabat
Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 05:12:14 AM
I also want to mention, for the benefit of anyone needing a PP fix, that Cast Macabre has just produced a story written by none other than Helmut Finch, yes that Helmut Finch.  And if that isn't enough, it's narrated by none other than PP's head devil, Alasdair Stuart.

Visit my blog atop the black ziggurat of Ankor Sabat, including my list of Top 10 Pseudopod episodes.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 08:22:47 PM
one week left.  this is pretty much the only time i've looked forward to the beginning of october.

are we gonna get something right away or is pseudopod waiting for its normal release day?

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 03:08:46 AM
are we gonna get something right away or is pseudopod waiting for its normal release day?

I'm assuming release day. (Crosses fingers).

No pressure guys, we just luv ya!

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #17 on: September 26, 2010, 06:22:50 PM

Glad to see another JoCo fan.  :-)

??? My association with eye-eating is to Stephen King's Storm of the Century. "She's waiting for you, in Hell, and she's going to eat your eyes, over and over, because Hell is repetition."

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Marguerite

• Editor
    • Cast of Wonders
Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 06:07:41 PM
??? My association with eye-eating is to Stephen King's Storm of the Century. "She's waiting for you, in Hell, and she's going to eat your eyes, over and over, because Hell is repetition."

Whereas my reference was to Jonathon Coulton's excellent "Re: Your Brains":

All we want to do is eat your brains
We’re not unreasonable, I mean, no one’s gonna eat your eyes
All we want to do is eat your brains
We’re at an impasse here, maybe we should compromise:
If you open up the doors
We’ll all come inside and eat your brains

Alea Iacta Est!

Marguerite

• Editor
    • Cast of Wonders
Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 09:42:04 PM
So who else is extremely excited about checking their podcast grabber tomorrow?  :-)

Alea Iacta Est!

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #20 on: October 01, 2010, 02:52:11 AM
So who else is extremely excited about checking their podcast grabber tomorrow?  :-)

Me! But don't be surprised if there's nothing there -- no promises were made beyond "October".

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #21 on: October 01, 2010, 03:49:41 AM
>I get to kick off Pseudopod's "30 days of Halloween" comeback  on Oct 1st (Tomorrow) with a nice little flash piece.
>I made up "30 days of Halloween" which makes it sound like Pseudopod is going to have a new episode everyday this month. NOT GONNA HAPPEN!
>... it'd be cool though. :)

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Marguerite

• Editor
    • Cast of Wonders
Reply #22 on: October 01, 2010, 02:07:56 PM
YES!  There's the lovely blue dot of un-listened! 

Now to get to the end of my day and my drive home...

*Glares at clock, urging it to move faster.*

Alea Iacta Est!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #23 on: October 01, 2010, 02:31:18 PM
>I get to kick off Pseudopod's "30 days of Halloween" comeback  on Oct 1st (Tomorrow) with a nice little flash piece.
>I made up "30 days of Halloween" which makes it sound like Pseudopod is going to have a new episode everyday this month. NOT GONNA HAPPEN!
>... it'd be cool though. :)

Yes, but if you count the EA Tricks or Treats rush of stories, it won't be too far from the truth!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #24 on: October 01, 2010, 02:31:56 PM
YES!  There's the lovely blue dot of un-listened! 

Now to get to the end of my day and my drive home...

*Glares at clock, urging it to move faster.*

Woohoo!!  It'll be good to have all 3 podcasts every week again.  :)