Author Topic: Fantasy Literature Poll - Group I  (Read 6107 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: July 08, 2010, 08:28:04 PM
That's group "I" not "1".  We still have groups J, K, and L to go.

Last week Harry Potter defeated all his enemies about as easily as would in one of his books.  The Last Unicorn came in second place, showing that Beagle's Come Lady Death was indeed a great choice for the first Podcastle episode.  In a fairly distant third place we had The Once and Future King, who doesn't advance but does get a copy of our home game!

This week we go old school - really old, with a blind poet from three thousand years ago.  There's also hitchhiking gods, a golden ticket out there for some lucky kid, an old kingdom, a famous shared world anthology, two alternative histories - one smutty and one not, and some dragons.

This is our fifth Neil Gaiman entry, but the first that isn't a single novel.  American Gods and Anansi Boys share one character but are both stand-alone books with totally different genres.  Still, they are ostensibly in the same world, so they get grouped together.  Vote for either or both as you will, but history shows it will advance, as no Gaiman has been knocked out yet.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 09:31:01 PM
I'd just like to reiterate that I think Hambly's "Windrose Chronicles" are loads better than the Dragonsbane books.  They actually got deeper and more interesting with each book instead of getting further and further off into some weird psycho-sexual place.

Seraphim

• Matross
Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 01:49:58 AM
hmmm most of those I've never read...and several have never heard of.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 05:32:42 AM
hmmm most of those I've never read...and several have never heard of.

What he said....

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 05:41:24 AM
Whereas I've read all but one of these, which is I think the highest ratio I've had yet...

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 02:56:37 PM
Roald Dahl was/is a favorite author of mine.  Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (and sequel) holds a special nostalgic place in my heart, right along with James and the Giant Peach, Danny, the Champion of the World, etc.

To my shame, I haven't read American Gods yet, so I didn't vote for it.

I didn't know Robert Aspin wrote the Theives World series.  I have read those either, but now I might check them out.  I loved his Myth series.  Are those coming up?

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 03:38:32 PM
Robert Aspirin didn't write Thieves' World; just edited it. 

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 04:01:55 PM
I didn't know Robert Aspin wrote the Theives World series.  I have read those either, but now I might check them out.  I loved his Myth series.  Are those coming up?

The Myth Adventures series was in group D.  Looks like you mythed it...

And ya, Aspin was the head editor for the Thieves World series.  He wrote one character, too as I recall. 

Seraphim

• Matross
Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 02:04:23 AM
Did Silverlock make anyone's list?

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 05:59:45 AM
I probably shouldn't talk things up before the poll is over, but...

If you haven't read the "Old Kingdom" series by Garth Nix (represented here by "Sabriel"), do yourself a favour and go pick up a copy right now. I'm fairly confident you won't have read anything quite like it.