Author Topic: PC113: Väinämöinen and the Singing Fish  (Read 16886 times)

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
on: July 14, 2010, 03:04:37 PM
PodCastle 113: Väinämöinen and the Singing Fish

by Marissa K. Lingen
Read by Marie Brennan
Originally published in Abyss & Apex

Whenever a foreigner came to the district, all of the neighbors would tell him how lucky he was to be in the home of the legendary
Joukahainen, charmer for the ages.  But the foreigners would squint and say, “Joukahainen?  Never heard of him.  Is he as good as
Väinämöinen?”  And Joukahainen would seethe.

Then he would do all of his best charms.  The birds would sing an invocation to the spirits of the forest in such piercing beauty that
any man would weep to hear it, and the fire would glow white and blue and paint pictures of splendor, and the flowers would all
spontaneously bloom, even if it was in the middle of the long night and snow covered them all.

And then the foreigners would clap Joukahainen on the shoulder and say, “Keep at it, lad, and someday you’ll be as great as Väinämöinen!” Or, “When Väinämöinen’s not around, by the gods, you’ll do!”  They meant to be kindly, but every time he heard the name Väinämöinen, Joukahainen’s blood boiled.

Rated PG: Contains Charmers, and Charming Singing Fish (Naturally)

Read the text here

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 03:52:09 PM
Unfortunately, there was error within the audio file of this story. We’re working to correct this, and will bring it to you as soon as possible. For the time being, I've removed the audio file until it can be replaced. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

Dave

Liminal

• EA Staff
    • These Liminal Days
Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 04:45:26 PM
As sound editor, I also want to extend my sincere apologies.

Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness? - Artemus Ward

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 05:40:26 PM
Unfortunately, there was error within the audio file of this story. We’re working to correct this, and will bring it to you as soon as possible. For the time being, I've removed the audio file until it can be replaced. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

Dave

I appreciate you finding and fixing the problem!

I was actually just going to comment that--wow, I'm glad I don't have to figure out how to pronounce that title!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 08:35:45 PM

Dave

The audio issue has been corrected - many thanks to Peter for taking care of it so quickly. You can re-download it now. Hope you enjoy the story!

--Dave

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 08:37:05 PM
I was actually just going to comment that--wow, I'm glad I don't have to figure out how to pronounce that title!

Yeah, we don't even share that information with our hosts - as Hobson will be happy to tell you  ;)

mbrennan

• Matross
Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 09:02:19 PM

I made the mistake of telling the Podcastle editors what languages I'd studied.  Me and my whopping two weeks of Finnish suddenly had to put my money where my mouth was . . . .

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 01:23:35 PM
Schlip!  Schlap!  Schlip-a-schlap-away.
Schlip!  Schlap!  Schlap away all day.
Schlip!  Schlap!  You simply can't go wrong,
With traditional fisch-schlapping song!

Sorry, couldn't help it.  :)

Anyhoo, this story was pretty good but far from my favorite.  It might be that traditional tales using characters of myth just don't excite me that much--I'd rather hear something new, but that's just personal taste.  Within the setting, the story was good, and I liked the nonchalant way charm-singing was used as though it's a fact of everyday life (which for them it was).

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 02:20:19 PM
And a really great reading from Marie Brennan!  It's difficult to fit non-English words into an English narrative without them sounding out of place but it sounded natural all the way through.

Baine

• Extern
Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 04:11:39 PM
I liked the this one, the seeming change in mane character confused me for a minuet but I loved Onyo's personality.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 11:42:22 PM
I found this story somewhat enjoyable but, in the end, forgettable. If L. had tricked V. by trying to get him to believe there's a singing fish charm, now THAT would've been cool. But instead the sister just happens to be a pretty good sorceress herself and turns herself into a singing fish (which then ends up killing the fishing industry for anyone living in the vicinity of that lake). Not one of my favorites.

The reading was fine. I downloaded it on day one and didn't notice any audio problems.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 12:03:33 AM
The reading was fine. I downloaded it on day one and didn't notice any audio problems.

The reading wasn't an issue.  Ann Leckie's canned "legals" tag breaking in at the middle of the story at twice the volume of the reader, making it impossible to hear the reader for about half a minute, was.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 02:36:16 AM

The reading wasn't an issue.  Ann Leckie's canned "legals" tag breaking in at the middle of the story at twice the volume of the reader, making it impossible to hear the reader for about half a minute, was.

Well, either it was fixed before iTunes grabbed it for me, or I just missed it entirely... whichever. Was it on all audio channels?

On another note -- mods, split if you wish -- does the canned legalese seem to completely break the flow to anyone else? Especially given that Dave comes back AFTERWARD to drop a quote-bomb? Is it perhaps time for Dave (or whoever's guest-hosting) to do the legalese "live"?

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 03:15:44 AM
Well, either it was fixed before iTunes grabbed it for me, or I just missed it entirely... whichever. Was it on all audio channels?

On another note -- mods, split if you wish -- does the canned legalese seem to completely break the flow to anyone else? Especially given that Dave comes back AFTERWARD to drop a quote-bomb? Is it perhaps time for Dave (or whoever's guest-hosting) to do the legalese "live"?

I for one don't mind PC using Ann's canned speech... except when it appears where it isn't supposed to.  Yes, it was in both channels, and like I said, at twice the amplitude of the story. 

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

blueeyeddevil

• Peltast
Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 09:06:04 PM
The Finnish mythic structure is a fun one; it lacks the usual magic/arms split of other western legends, and suggests that basically all of reality is pliant to those who can sing well, which is a charming idea. It's basically the least western of the western mythos.
This story was sweet because it worked within that structure, but didn't really do much except present this sort of story in a non-archaic structure. Not bad, not brilliant, but mainly it just reminded me that it's been too long since I re-read the Kalevala. (Though, I end up thinking in quadrameter for about a week afterward.) 

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #15 on: July 19, 2010, 01:22:37 PM

I understand the need for the legalese, but after hearing it 113 times, I kind of prefer it to not be canned, to just be part of the outro and not in the same wording every week.  It's not a problem or anything, but since the subject came up.

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 12:19:44 PM
but mainly it just reminded me that it's been too long since I re-read the Kalevala.

Our work here is done.  :)

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #17 on: July 21, 2010, 08:15:47 AM
I really enjoyed this one, right down to the melancholy ending. I loved the mythic feel (not surprising I suppose) and the very flawed protagonists. You can run more like this anytime!

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 03:43:18 PM
turns herself into a singing fish (which then ends up killing the fishing industry for anyone living in the vicinity of that lake).

Not anyone:

But in all the rest of their living days, neither Joukahainen nor Väinämöinen ever caught a fish again. Whether they used nets or hooks or gleaming spears, the fish always managed to slip through their grasp.

I didn't mind that the ending was melancholy - some stories are.  But I did find it ... unsatisfying, somehow.  For instance, after that duel and its outcome, Joukahainen was suddenly able to fling Väinämöinen to the door of the northern witch so that he never came back?  Where did that come from?

Also, I would have liked to see some kind of growth in at least one of the characters.  Even though their circumstances changed (for some of them), none of them seemed to learn anything or change in any meaningful way:
  • Aino is still stubborn and willful (not that I blame her especially, but as many trickster stories have shown, she - and her sister - might have done better if she'd appeared to capitulate and then bided her time to get her own back),
  • Joukahainen is self-centred and unwilling to look to himself as the source of his own (and and many of his family's) problems,
  • Väinämöinen (I infer, from the spells above the lake) is still self-centred and vain (though in some fairness, he was promised a wife, however much I may disapprove of using a sister as a barter item, even for one's life),
  • Noora is given super powers (sort of) but there's no indication that she's any different for the experience. (It would be weird if she - or the parents - were the ones to experience growth or change, though, since they're only ancillary characters).

On the up side, there were a few good chuckles from some of the lines, like Aino rolling her eyes as a fish.  Aside from the unsatisfying ending, I did quite enjoy this story.

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

Chuk

• Lochage
Reply #19 on: July 21, 2010, 03:45:13 PM
I didn't mind that the ending was melancholy - some stories are.  But I did find it ... unsatisfying, somehow.  For instance, after that duel and its outcome, Joukahainen was suddenly able to fling Väinämöinen to the door of the northern witch so that he never came back?  Where did that come from?

He had prep time for that one, he worked on that charm for a long time. And we don't know what happened at the northern witch -- Joukahainen might have just sent Väinämöinen there and the witch did the rest.

--
chuk

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
    • Burning Zeppelin Experience
Reply #20 on: July 21, 2010, 05:23:24 PM
I grew up on the Time Life's Enchanted World series and have fond memories of the original story. This interpretation more than did it justice, and was a great listen.

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #21 on: July 21, 2010, 08:11:26 PM
Fun story.  I like a good folktale now and again.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010, 04:29:42 PM
It was a good retelling; I think the weaknesses of plot and resolution that have been bothering people are an artifact of the source material.  Old epic sagas do tend to wander off in weird directions, what with everyone always putting their own spin on things and different versions getting recombined in bizarre and unexpected ways.  The ending definitely fit with the epic saga vibe, and I think it just felt weird to us because the story was retold in a pleasantly colloquial voice, and modern stories tend to be much more about having a plot that ties up neatly at the end and is properly foreshadowed and so on.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #23 on: July 23, 2010, 04:21:07 PM
It was a good retelling; I think the weaknesses of plot and resolution that have been bothering people are an artifact of the source material. 

I think that's probably why I don't like myth retellings that often.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #24 on: July 24, 2010, 01:25:55 AM
It was a good retelling; I think the weaknesses of plot and resolution that have been bothering people are an artifact of the source material. 

I think that's probably why I don't like myth retellings that often.

That's just what I like about myth-like stories, the fact that you can't always tell where they'll end up