Escape Artists

News:

News

ATTENTION: NEW FORUM THEME Please see here for details: http://forum.escapeartists.net/index.php?topic=13188.0

Author Topic: EP249: Little M@tch Girl  (Read 41624 times)

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #40 on: July 30, 2010, 04:35:23 PM
Another non-sf use of the word 'grok'.

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

Yargling

• Peltast
Reply #41 on: July 31, 2010, 12:28:34 AM
Ok, whilst I acknowledge the story was probably an anti-drug piece, I still don't like it... bleak ending stories always just make me feel down, and I can never really enjoy them more than once as I'm always waiting for the other shoe to drop when I know its coming. But thats just me.

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
Reply #42 on: August 01, 2010, 06:30:54 PM
I really tried to give this story a chance. I started it...and my attention wandered. So I "rewound," started it again...and my attention wandered. All total, I think I must have played the first half of it at least four or five times...but I just could NOT get into the story. I finally just let it play while I drove and hoped some of it seeped in by osmosis.

It didn't. I remember it ending and me thinking, "Well. That was depressing."

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

Paranatural

• Palmer
Reply #43 on: August 03, 2010, 01:47:12 PM
I couldn't get into this story, either. It seemed a bit TOO short for what it was trying to cover. It's as if someone told me 'In the future there's this girl and she did drugs to have sex with guys. Then her dad loses her job and she has to get a horrible job to keep them alive. Then she does more drugs and ends up addicted and tweaking. The end.' There just doesn't feel to be any story arc or actual character progression. Just depression and...well, that's it, actually.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #44 on: August 03, 2010, 01:53:32 PM
Also the bar that is meant to look like the inside of a tree sounded wicked!! I totally imagined the characters from Ferngully going there to get lit or whatever you kids call it these days.

When I went to Universal Islands of Adventure theme park, they had a restaurant meant to look like it was built in the hollow of an ancient tree.  :)

"Whatever you kids call it"   :D

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #45 on: August 03, 2010, 01:56:50 PM
According to the very link you gave, the US has two pronunciations, one of which is "ˈkweɪ".

Merriam-Webster lists three:  ˈkē, ˈkā, ˈkwā

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/quay

I've always pronounced it kwā.  But I hadn't realized there were even other pronunciations.  The trouble with picking up most of my vocabulary from books is that my pronunciations often get screwed up.  I think I was in high school before I knew how to pronounce "oasis" correctly.  When I read it in a book and said the word in my head it sounded more like "oy-zis" instead of "oh-ay-sis".

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #46 on: August 03, 2010, 02:07:21 PM
The trouble with picking up most of my vocabulary from books is that my pronunciations often get screwed up.  I think I was in high school before I knew how to pronounce "oasis" correctly.  When I read it in a book and said the word in my head it sounded more like "oy-zis" instead of "oh-ay-sis".

I had exactly this problem with awry; I was pronouncing it "AH-ree" in my head for years before someone - my wife, I think - told me I was somewhat awry.

I think such mispronunciations are a reasonably (though not perfect) reliable indicator of a person who likes to read.

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #47 on: August 03, 2010, 02:57:04 PM
The trouble with picking up most of my vocabulary from books is that my pronunciations often get screwed up.  I think I was in high school before I knew how to pronounce "oasis" correctly.  When I read it in a book and said the word in my head it sounded more like "oy-zis" instead of "oh-ay-sis".

I had exactly this problem with awry; I was pronouncing it "AH-ree" in my head for years before someone - my wife, I think - told me I was somewhat awry.

I think such mispronunciations are a reasonably (though not perfect) reliable indicator of a person who likes to read.

It can happen in reverse, too, thinking you know how to spell something because of how it sounds.  My wife had trouble with the word "ornery" because spoken it generally sounds more like "awnery".  :)  Foreign phrases, especially French ones, give me trouble too--I still have to double take anytime someone says or writes "c'est la vie".  When it's written I have to go over it twice to link it to the correct association in my head.  When I hear it, the same--I remember words primarily by visualizing how they are spelled, so if my spelling is wrong it's very disconcerting for me.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #48 on: August 03, 2010, 07:56:20 PM

For me it was "misled", which I pronounced as "MY-zull'd", where Y = EYE. I thought it meant "vaguely disturbed".

Of course, I was like 8 at the time.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

FireTurtle

• Hipparch
Reply #49 on: August 03, 2010, 11:17:41 PM

It can happen in reverse, too, thinking you know how to spell something because of how it sounds.  My wife had trouble with the word "ornery" because spoken it generally sounds more like "awnery".  :)  Foreign phrases, especially French ones, give me trouble too--I still have to double take anytime someone says or writes "c'est la vie".  When it's written I have to go over it twice to link it to the correct association in my head.  When I hear it, the same--I remember words primarily by visualizing how they are spelled, so if my spelling is wrong it's very disconcerting for me.

My particular reading to speaking misalignments in my early years were:
Sean = "Seen" Ah... that's the fault of "Where the Red Fern Grows" Totally ruined the book when my Mom pointed out that I had been pronouncing the main "character's" name wrong the whole time.

Prejudice = " PREE- Juh'dis" As in Jane Austen's classic Pride and PREE-Juh'dis. Good Times.

“My imagination makes me human and makes me a fool; it gives me all the world and exiles me from it.”
Ursula K. LeGuin

eytanz

Reply #50 on: August 04, 2010, 02:55:06 AM
In my childhood, I was always sure "etiquette" is pronounced "eh-tick-wi-tee".

But my most embarassing mistaken pronunciation was the word "gratuitous", which until my late twenties I thought was pronounced "gratitious" (rhymes with fictitious). It's embarassing both because it lasted very long, because it is also based on a misspelling, and because I only discoverd I was wrong when I used it in a sentence and was greeted by several very blank stares.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #51 on: August 04, 2010, 05:55:54 AM
Mine was "maniacal"

I mean, who uses maniacal in a sentence? Okay, I did once in high school and pronounced it "may-knee-ac-al" (as in "maniac" + "al") instead of "man-eye-ac-al". A very kindly english teacher gently corrected me.

davedoty

• Peltast
Reply #52 on: August 04, 2010, 12:52:14 PM
I used to think that Rogue from the X-Men was named "Rouge."  Anyone who knows what her appearance was like when she first joined the team can realize what a misnomer that would have been.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #53 on: August 09, 2010, 02:54:22 AM
For me it was "misled", which I pronounced as "MY-zull'd", where Y = EYE....

My college music theory teacher confessed to reading that word just the same way when he was first learning English (I believe his native language was German).

BTW I saw your avatar dog in a commercial on teevee tonight  ;D

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #54 on: August 09, 2010, 05:37:42 PM
For me it was "misled", which I pronounced as "MY-zull'd", where Y = EYE....

My college music theory teacher confessed to reading that word just the same way when he was first learning English (I believe his native language was German).

BTW I saw your avatar dog in a commercial on teevee tonight  ;D

I pulled it as a screencap out of that commercial when it crossed my desk while I was working at The Weather Channel. I just couldn't resist.

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
Reply #55 on: August 09, 2010, 05:46:48 PM
I pulled it as a screencap out of that commercial when it crossed my desk while I was working at The Weather Channel. I just couldn't resist.

That image is one of the (probably) most unintentionally creepy things ever.

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

ceruleangrave

• Extern
Reply #56 on: August 14, 2010, 11:17:05 PM
While I did enjoy this story, I wanted more from it. At the end I was left feeling like there were chunks of the story that had been left out. What's going to happen to Em's mother and father now? What about Em herself? What was the point of the entire short episode?

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #57 on: August 16, 2010, 06:02:01 PM

That image is one of the (probably) most unintentionally creepy things ever.

Be glad I'm not using the avatar I use on the Fantasy Football Guys forum. It's not creepy, but it will make most male members of the forums cringe.  ::)

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #58 on: August 16, 2010, 08:29:09 PM
You know, I've been kinda spoiled by the Flash Fiction Contest.
I keep waiting for the authors to to drop in and tell us what they were really thinking...  :D

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #59 on: August 16, 2010, 09:03:57 PM
Considering how picky forumites are about stories, I'm almost glad most authors stay away. Every time people post about how they don't like a story I think about the author and feel bad and hope they aren't reading what people are saying. :p