Author Topic: What the heck's a Peltast and how does all that Hipparchy stuff work?  (Read 6685 times)

Dem

• Lochage
  • aka conboyhillfiction.wordpress.com
    • Suzanne Conboy-Hill
Attention drawn to a change in title. Extern seemed to mean something - not an intern probably and so pretty much a newbie - after that it all started to look at bit Pratchett. Tell me it's a bunch of made-up gamer terms and not a series of references to something classical I ought to pretend to know about! 

Science is what you do when the funding panel thinks you know what you're doing. Fiction is the same only without the funding.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Hi,
http://forum.escapeartists.net/index.php?topic=2848.0

Q: What do the titles of Autarch, Palmer, Lochage, etc. mean?  How are they assigned?

A: Steve Eley set these titles up when he created the forums.  They originated from Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe

Here is the breakdown of how they are assigned:

Title       # of posts needed
Extern—0
Palmer—20
Peltast—80
Matross—160
Lochage—320
Hipparch—600

Also, for future reference, and not just you, but recently a few general questions have been asked about the podcast or forum that have been posted in here, in the support desk.  However, this support desk is for Poddisc.com, not for the boards.  All future podcast inquiries should go in the Administravia section, either Metachat or Escape Artists, Inc.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

eytanz

Might be worth renaming the forum "Poddisc support desk" - I know it's redundant with the section, but those section headers are pretty easy to miss.

Dem

• Lochage
    • Suzanne Conboy-Hill
Hi,
http://forum.escapeartists.net/index.php?topic=2848.0

Also, for future reference, and not just you, but recently a few general questions have been asked about the podcast or forum that have been posted in here, in the support desk.  However, this support desk is for Poddisc.com, not for the boards.  All future podcast inquiries should go in the Administravia section, either Metachat or Escape Artists, Inc.

Thanks for the explanation and redirection. Can't say it's that obvious though!

Science is what you do when the funding panel thinks you know what you're doing. Fiction is the same only without the funding.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Oh, it's not meant to be, though apparently the series is really famous.  (I haven't yet read it)

Dem

• Lochage
    • Suzanne Conboy-Hill
Oh, it's not meant to be, though apparently the series is really famous.  (I haven't yet read it)
Er, I meant the right place to ask the question. Ahem!

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
ah :P