Author Topic: 300 Word Flash Fiction Contest!  (Read 79711 times)

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #50 on: February 07, 2007, 02:29:25 AM
OK, but now we have to think of three writers who get that niche! I call Margaret Atwood's. ;)

Audrey Niffenegger.  The Time Traveler's Wife.

(Book made me cry, by the way.  Twice.)

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #51 on: February 07, 2007, 02:37:08 AM
Oooh. *And* it was small press. Extra points.

smartbombradio

• Peltast
  • Clthulhu loves me, this I know!
    • One Eighteen: Migration
Reply #52 on: February 07, 2007, 10:24:58 PM
Hey, can authors post in their own threads and out themselves on "Completed" stories that have not moved on to the semi finals, assuming that those posts in no way give away other stories still in the judging?  Because those stories are "Out" of the contest now and so knowing the author can't sway the voting, and I'm sure a few of us would like to talk to people and figure out how to make them better stories.

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #53 on: February 07, 2007, 11:22:47 PM
I've done it, as have a few others with no problems.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #54 on: February 07, 2007, 11:25:41 PM
Hey, can authors post in their own threads and out themselves on "Completed" stories that have not moved on to the semi finals, assuming that those posts in no way give away other stories still in the judging?  Because those stories are "Out" of the contest now and so knowing the author can't sway the voting, and I'm sure a few of us would like to talk to people and figure out how to make them better stories.

Sure.  It's already been happening.  I've been sticking author names on the closed stories when I get to them, but if I'm not doing that fast enough for you, feel free to speak up anyway.

Oblio

• Palmer
Reply #55 on: February 08, 2007, 03:04:11 PM
They just keep coming and coming right when I think I am catching up another group gets thrown into the mix.  I can't take it any more make it stop......

Actually I'm loving it, and I don't want it to stop, but I do feel like I am walking up the down escalator sometimes.

The Word Whore

• Palmer
    • Air Out My Shorts
Reply #56 on: February 09, 2007, 10:02:58 PM
I'm so far behind now... reading wise.

Thank goodness they're only 300 words a pop...
Just can't keep up!!

:P

Cheers,
~tWW
Air Out My Shorts
www.airoutmyshorts.com

GoodDamon

• Lochage
    • Speculations - My writing blog
Reply #57 on: February 09, 2007, 10:20:59 PM
I'm so far behind now... reading wise.

Thank goodness they're only 300 words a pop...
Just can't keep up!!

:P

Bah. Reading's for wimps. I print the stories out and then roll all over them, absorbing the words through an osmotic process involving printer ink. Much faster.

But man, the paper cuts...

Damon Kaswell: Reader, writer, and arithmetic-er

The Word Whore

• Palmer
    • Air Out My Shorts
Reply #58 on: February 09, 2007, 11:28:51 PM
so... tempted... to... turn... this... oh... so... dirty...

Cheers,
~tWW
Air Out My Shorts
www.airoutmyshorts.com

GoodDamon

• Lochage
    • Speculations - My writing blog
Reply #59 on: February 09, 2007, 11:54:38 PM
so... tempted... to... turn... this... oh... so... dirty...

I fought that temptation, but I see no reason why you should.

Damon Kaswell: Reader, writer, and arithmetic-er

PhiDry

• Palmer
Reply #60 on: February 12, 2007, 05:04:35 PM
This may have come up already elsewhere, but is there any plan to set up a board for revisions of stories no longer in the running? It seems like a lot of writers and readers have made strong connections here, and if the stories are to have any post-contest life, some kind of follow-up could benefit everyone—more feedback for writers, more fun for readers. And, ideally, NOT more work for Steve and crew.

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #61 on: February 12, 2007, 07:32:27 PM
I've seen some postings by Steve and others - the key right now is to wait until the contest is over.  There is definite interest, and already some ideas of what it should entail
--went looking-- the latest info was at COMPLETED > SEMIFINAL 1 > The Fall of Humphrey the Wise by Marshal L. Latham

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #62 on: February 12, 2007, 07:42:29 PM
This may have come up already elsewhere, but is there any plan to set up a board for revisions of stories no longer in the running?

Yeah, this has been talked about in the threads to some of the specific stories.  (I can't even remember which ones anymore.)

Short answer: there will be a "workshop" board to critique stories, for those who are interested continuing to do so.  The timeline and the ground rules are still in flux.

I do not see value in dedicating a board to revising and critting these flash stories from the contest, however.  If you want to keep revising and you can find people willing to keep reading it, you can do it in the thread for your story.  But my own feeling is that having the same crowd respond to the same story more than once yields diminishing (and often disappointing) returns.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #63 on: February 13, 2007, 05:47:48 PM
How are the flash pieces that get contracts going to come out? Should we be expecting a glut at the beginning of March or will they be spaced out over several months?

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #64 on: February 13, 2007, 05:50:34 PM
How are the flash pieces that get contracts going to come out? Should we be expecting a glut at the beginning of March or will they be spaced out over several months?

Probably the latter, because we have a lot of other flash stories in inventory too.  It's just been a matter of finding time to produce them.  (Ironically, enough of my time has been eaten by this contest that it's had an effect on getting flash out.  I really need to get better at delegating.)

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #65 on: February 13, 2007, 06:01:03 PM
Were that there were clones or something.

How many flash pieces do you think you will be buying from the contest?

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #66 on: February 13, 2007, 07:44:17 PM
How many flash pieces do you think you will be buying from the contest?

This is the wrong time to ask.  Please.  Let's just get through this, okay?

bebo2012

• Extern
Reply #67 on: January 20, 2009, 02:45:43 PM
is it possable to read some of these storys now or inly after the feb 1st deadline???? if so where?

Russell Nash

Reply #68 on: January 20, 2009, 02:56:40 PM
is it possable to read some of these storys now or inly after the feb 1st deadline???? if so where?

The contest was two years ago.

All of the stories are available for registered users to read.