Author Topic: PC116: Paper Cuts Scissors  (Read 16399 times)

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Re: PC116: Paper Cuts Scissors
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2010, 10:17:28 PM »
Kibitzer, I think Scattercat was commenting on the story, not your link  ;)

(I could be wrong).

That's OK -- so could I. I admit, I often, often get things wrong. :-)

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2010, 10:36:14 PM »
I was talking about the story, which was metafanfiction.  The link is borked for me, anyway.
---
Mirrorshards: Very Short Stories
100 Words.  No more.  No fewer.  Every day.
Splinters of Silver and Glass - The Mirrorshards Book

kibitzer

• Hipparch
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2010, 01:42:27 AM »
I was talking about the story, which was metafanfiction.  The link is borked for me, anyway.

Yup, my bad.

SGAcreative

• Extern
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2010, 02:09:21 AM »
Well, I finally know how everybody else felt when we went to see "Shakespeare In Love," and I was the only one understood the reference to little John Webster torturing cats.  As a former English professor, I kept thinking, "Y'know, I really should've read that... and that... and that one, too."  Or just scratching my head as another reference sailed over it.

It did bug me a little that one of the first characters to be mentioned was Indiana Jones.  I mean, I know there's a series of media tie-in books about Dr. Jones, but I certainly associate him with video, not text, so he seemed like an odd choice to single out.

Nonetheless, a big, categorical yay for literary fan-fiction!  Especially when it's executed so well, and with at least a modicum of restraint.  (I know from experience, that's very, very hard.)

SGAcreative

• Extern
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2010, 02:34:08 AM »

The Scarlet Pimpernel was probably the first "costumed adventurer", with secret identity and all that.
[/quote]

It's hard to say, remember that the first Pimpernel book was actually written in 1905, and The Pimpernel often went in disguise, but never really had a mask or anything like that. As such, he's much more in the vein of Sherlock Holmes, who obviously came first, I think the first 'masked adventurer'  would probably be Zorro 1919, (which ties into the whole significance of the Batman origin story, etc.)

[/quote]

While I'm outing myself as a recovering academic and a medieval scholar, let me suggest looking back at least another four hundred and fifty years for the origin of the masked superhero.  An entire literary tradition, most famously Le Morte d'Arthur (and book two of The Faerie Queene, for that matter) revolves around honorable, noble, aristocratic, superhuman heroes who routinely hide their identities behind masks (or to be more precise, visors), often disguise themselves as strangers or even as other heroes, and inspire lines of dialogue that can be translated as, "Who was that masked man?"

Batman may also have been inspired by 19th and early 20th century figures, but there's a reason he's dressed in armor and billed as the dark "knight."

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2010, 08:27:02 PM »
The link I posted above is to the author Jasper Fforde's site -- not fanfic, Scattercat, not even close. He has plenty of these on his site; they're mostly references to things in his Thursday Next books. The improbably-named Thursday Next is a sort of literary detective, quiter literally literary because she operates in books, plays, etc. Quite funny and whimsical. Very British. The first book is called The Eyre Affair where Thursday must hide out in Wuthering Heights. Hijinks ensure.

I just noticed last week, at work, that there's a copy of Lost in a Good Book in the kitchen/break room.
"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

kibitzer

• Hipparch
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2010, 09:38:53 PM »
The link I posted above is to the author Jasper Fforde's site -- not fanfic, Scattercat, not even close. He has plenty of these on his site; they're mostly references to things in his Thursday Next books. The improbably-named Thursday Next is a sort of literary detective, quiter literally literary because she operates in books, plays, etc. Quite funny and whimsical. Very British. The first book is called The Eyre Affair where Thursday must hide out in Wuthering Heights. Hijinks ensure.

I just noticed last week, at work, that there's a copy of Lost in a Good Book in the kitchen/break room.

That one's quite good

gateaux

• Peltast
    • sketch blog
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2010, 09:38:38 AM »
This story was pretty engaging. I kind of wish the author had just stuck to classic literature references when the characters started coming alive, mostly because I felt slightly embarrassed that I knew more about the graphic novel references than some of the classics. Plus it just seemed weird, trying to imagine a drawing talking to a real person.
But the actual concept of the story was the best part; how many times have you read something and would give anything to dive into that reality? I nearly peed myself when Justin saw his girlfriend in a Hogwarts uniform - I would totally write myself into that series if I could. 

kibitzer

• Hipparch
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2010, 09:50:48 PM »
...mostly because I felt slightly embarrassed that I knew more about the graphic novel references than some of the classics.

Nothing to be embarrassed by in my book.

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2010, 10:47:16 AM »
Interesting story about literature becoming fanfiction. I didn't catch many of the references, though. This might be one I have to read.

I found Justin to be quite an interesting character. Meta stuff aside, his view on books were new to me. At first, the way he acted, I almost thought that there was something a little off with him, that he had obsessive compulsive disorder or something like that. To see him grow throughout the story was a pleasure--in fact, I found myself caring less about the books coming to life as watching Justin struggle with being dumped.

The ending was absolutely beautiful. I too, got quite nervous when he got the scissors out, but what he did showed a leap of maturity that Linda was not capable of--but will now. At the same time, it was still a little disturbing. He *was* changing her, after all.

Really like to read this one again.
--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly

yicheng

• Matross
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2010, 11:39:28 AM »
I enjoyed the premise, but I couldn't shake the feeling that this was some sort of wish fulfillment on the part of the author.  And after reading a bit, it felt really "Night At the Museum"-ish.  The characters that came out felt more like people at a costume party rather than the actual characters from the book. 

The Justin character seemed rather weak, like he just can't let go of a relationship gone bad, and it always felt like he was just one step behind the story.  I couldn't believe it took him that long to figure out that he could essentially rewrite any story he wanted to.  Hell, he could have rewritten his girlfriend to be his dream-girl with the body of Pam Anderson (insert your girl here) and the mind of Alyx Vance (same).  Come on.  Don't pretend you wouldn't do it. 

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2012, 06:59:02 PM »

Laughed in a crowded cafe when I heard the line "'Who is John Galt?' growled Wolverine..."

A couple lines back did it to me when someone was complaining about John Galt eating all the Salsa.

A Perceived Political Subtext: First you have Linda in a book denigrating revolution. Then John Galt shows up. Then the Scarlet Pimpernel, who rescues the wealthy and titled from the justice of the French Revolution, and which was written by Baroness Emma Orczy whose parents fled Hungary in 1868, fearful of the threat of a peasant revolution, extreme right wing heroes all.

Hmmmm….Well, I guess I know what Holly Black’s politics are.  Or think I do.

I think John Galt eating all the salsa and leaving none for the others is an entertaining tweak. Makes the whole political discussion a bit wobblier.

Fanfiction about fanfiction...  I think one more level of meta and the whole thing collapses on itself like a souffle.  Possibly gravitons are involved. 

And laser bullets.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”