Author Topic: Exclusive Stories for Forumites (or "The I <3 Escape Artists Thread!")  (Read 108680 times)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Updated the list to reflect the current list of contributors (pasted below for your convenience):

ETA: Here's the current list of contributors: Tim Pratt, Greg van Eekhout, Mur Lafferty, MK Hobson, Tina Connolly, Samantha Henderson, Alasdair Stuart, Amal El-Mohtar, Anna Schwind, D.K. Thompson, and more.

*happy noises*

heyes

• Peltast
    • The Returning
I would definitely love some extra escape pod lovin' this October!
May I please be allowed to get in on this action?

"Feed me Seymour!"
     -Audry II
"You were not put on the Earth to get it, Mr. Burton"
     - Lo Pan

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Welcome to The List, Heyes!

eytanz

Whoa, this has gotten even cooler, which is quite a feat!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Ooh, Tim Pratt, even, my most favorite short story author.  Yay!

FamilyGuy

• Matross
**raises hand**  Please include me. 

When will all the rhetorical questions end?

Marguerite

• Editor
    • Cast of Wonders
ETA: Here's the current list of contributors: Tim Pratt, Greg van Eekhout, Mur Lafferty, MK Hobson, Tina Connolly, Samantha Henderson, Alasdair Stuart, Amal El-Mohtar, Anna Schwind, D.K. Thompson, and more.

Hello everyone, I have an idea.  Not sure if it's a good idea, or even feasible, but I wanted to get it out there.

Many of my favorite authors from Escape Artists have, or continue to, self-publish.  The two I'm most familiar with personally are Robin Sloan ("Mr. Pnumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore") and Tim Pratt (too many to possibly name).  Mr. Sloan released his novel about Annabelle Scheme through Kickstarter, and Tim Pratt continued his Marla Mason series online for donations and has started his new Nex story the same way.

What about taking all these fantastic just-for-forumites stories and doing some kind of fundraiser with them, perhaps by having a chapbook published and sold by Escape Artists?

I can think of problems, of course - if the authors want to use the stories for other purposes, or the time and care needed to put this all together.  Maybe if the authors donated their rights to the stories, and others with experience in self-publishing volunteered their time to help with the details, it could bring in some money for Escape Pod?  Maybe it could even become an annual thing.

I'm certainly not the most qualified person to head up such a project, but I'm willing to do some heavy lifting if there are others who think it's a project worth pursing.  Is anyone out there with some relevant experience and time to spare interested?

Alea Iacta Est!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
It's a good idea, and unfortunately I only thought about doing something similar after the whole thing really took off. It'd be very cool to do something like that in the future, but it's not in the works right now. (Although if something similar ever does happen, you'll be at the top of the list of people to email  ;) )

Technically, though, this isn't an official EA thing. This is something I conceived of to give back to the forumites, and which a few of my friends (all involved in EA one way or another) volunteered to help out with. So all of this is strictly volunteer and For The Love. Ben didn't even know about it until several people had already volunteered to help out, and I decided to email him and get his blessing. Still, as is, it's an unoffical EA thing. There's no contracts, and the authors aren't getting paid, so as-is, I'd feel funny about trying to sell it as something more than what everyone agreed to in the first place.

Here's what I wanted to accomplish:

1) Get more people talking about the stories here on the forums.

2) Get people gushing over my fellow Escape Artists (not just the ones contributing to this, mind you - but also to people who edit, host, slush, write, narrate, or do other stuff for us. Go tell Ben, Ann Leckie, or whoever else how much you appreciate them).

3) Give people who on the forums some extra stories.

Still, if people want to donate/pay subscriptions to EA because of this, that'd be most excellent  ;D

Marguerite

• Editor
    • Cast of Wonders
It's a good idea, and unfortunately I only thought about doing something similar after the whole thing really took off. It'd be very cool to do something like that in the future, but it's not in the works right now. (Although if something similar ever does happen, you'll be at the top of the list of people to email  ;) )

Happily, thanks for reading this.  I hope something in the future along these lines does come up again.  I don't have much fund-raising experience, but I have a touch and I'm happy to polish it up in favor of good stories.

Alea Iacta Est!

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Me too, please.

(To be clearer: I, too, wish to receive the package of awesome)

Wonko

• Extern
It's been bloody forever since I've commented on a story, not as much time as I'd like, really. But I have commented. And I shall do so again right... (wait for it)... now.

ewagoner

• Extern
I love stories, and would greatly enjoy even more stories. Thank you all for your generosity!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Just me again, saying I've updated the original post with the final group of contributors, which I'll mention here, too:

ETA: And now - here's the final list of contributors: Tim Pratt, Greg van Eekhout, Mur Lafferty, MK Hobson, Tina Connolly, Samantha Henderson, Alasdair Stuart, Amal El-Mohtar, Anna Schwind, Ann Leckie, Erin Cashier, Rachel Swirsky, David Steffen, and D.K. Thompson.

Yes, that's actually 14 stories. So it's going to be like a vampire's baker's dozen for October or something.

I'm really excited for you all to hear this whole thing. It's going to be like a grab-bag of candy for the month of October. Some of the stories are horror, some SF, some fantasy. Some fit Halloween and some are just plain fun, so in honor of Lucy and Linus I've decided to call the whole thing Tricks or Treats, because this bag of goodness has a lot of different flavors, and I think you're all going to really enjoy it.

More to come later!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 06:29:27 PM by DKT »

montsamu

• Extern
Thanks Mr. Unblinking for pointing the way, I too would like to grovel to have my ears blessed by this wonderful bounty.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Thanks Mr. Unblinking for pointing the way, I too would like to grovel to have my ears blessed by this wonderful bounty.

Good to see you here.   :)

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Just me again, saying I've updated the original post with the final group of contributors, which I'll mention here, too:

ETA: And now - here's the final list of contributors: Tim Pratt, Greg van Eekhout, Mur Lafferty, MK Hobson, Tina Connolly, Samantha Henderson, Alasdair Stuart, Amal El-Mohtar, Anna Schwind, Ann Leckie, Erin Cashier, Rachel Swirsky, David Steffen, and D.K. Thompson.

Kudos to you Dave for your awesome idea of a package of awesome becoming awesome!

(izzat eloquent or what?)

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
  • Have towel, will travel.
Hehe, eloquence. I've heard of that before...

Also, to all of you non-noobs.
Please excuse my blatant familiarity (current and future) with you.
I know I'm a noob on the forums, but I've been hearing all about many of you guys on the podcasts for ages, so I feel that I already know you.  ;)
And yes, when I find time I'll drop in to the lounge and introduce myself, so you all can be familiar with me too. (... as soon as I can find the newbie intro thread thread. Presumably it exists...)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 04:36:04 PM by Max e^{i pi} »

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Welcome to the forum  :)

Here's the link to the new listener thread when you're feeling up to stopping by!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
I've noticed there's been quite a few new story commenters over the weekend who haven't commented in this thread.  Maybe they've been PMing Dave, as per the instructions in last week's episode, but I'm hoping they're getting in on the extra stories one way or the other!

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Please excuse my blatant familiarity (current and future) with you.

Hey don't worry about it. Familiarity breeds consent! (What a minute, do I have that right?)

Anyway, welcome.

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Here's the link to the new listener thread when you're feeling up to stopping by!

There's a new Listener?

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards

There's a new Listener?

The old one rusted when we left him out in the rain.  This model has Sirius satellite radio, though, so it's all good.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
I am intrigued by this offer, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Science means that not all dreams can come true

Void Munashii

• Matross
  • twitter.com/VOIDMunashii
    • Mallville - A Journal of the Zombie Apocalypse
  My iPod salivates in expectation of more fresh fiction.

"Mallville - A Journal of the Zombie Apocalypse"
http://mallvillestory.blogspot.com

LaHaine

• Extern
Alright, I like all the 3 Pods and I'm looking forward to the exclusives.