Author Topic: Exclusive Stories for Forumites (or "The I <3 Escape Artists Thread!")  (Read 108665 times)

Fonzie

• Extern
    • My Blog
I <3 Escape Artists!

I want stories too!

Fonzie

jtollert

• Extern
Me too!

CaroCogitatus

• Extern
Gimme!

(please)

jtollert

• Extern
Me too

bbienvenue

• Extern
Wow, free stories are a good incentive! I've been listening to Escape Pod for several years and somehow managed to register on the forums and make exactly 0 posts some time ago, but now you've got me posting. As a start, I commented on Ted Chiang's _exhalation_, which is one of my all time favorite Escape Pod stories. I've cut-and-pasted that comment below as well, and I promise I'll try to at least spend some time on the forums now and then. So, can I please, please, please have some more free stories to love?

-----And here's my original post-----

Greetings all,

I'm very late to the game here and basically writing because I want to get some more free fiction, but hopefully I'll try and become a bit involved in the forums. I'm posting on this story since this is still one of my favorite Escape Pod stories and one that I push on innocent bystanders every chance I get.

I occasionally teach an undergraduate course on cognitive science at a school in upstate New York. The last time I taught the course I added a set of readings I called "cognitive science fiction." Basically, for each week's topic I assigned a technical reading covering the research into the field and also an optional fun reading, a piece of science fiction that delved into the issue from a literary perspective. We read some of Stanislaw Lem's Cyberiad, some Asimov robot stories, some William Gibson and also some not-quite science fiction like Borges and Julio Cortazar. I also included some Escape Pod stories that were relevant to various topics.

Ted Chiang's _Exhalation_ went with a section on dynamic systems and cognition. Even after all my lectures on the neuroscience of the mind and the scientific data on how thought is represented in human brains (and other systems), I had a couple students tell me that the passage on the dissection and the description of air moving the gold foil leaves was when they finally "got" what I had been going on about all semester. I also had several students tell me this was one of the best readings in the class and that they were hooked on Escape Pod as a result.

So, thank you Ted Chiang for teaching my students what I could not, and thank you Escape Pod for bringing it to me! I haven't been vocal, but I have loved you from afar.

vagrant

• Extern
i <3 escape artist. can i have totally awesome free fiction sent directly to me via email too?

dreamophelia

• Extern
I've been listening for a long time, I have no idea why I haven't been posting more, I always seem to have something to say.
Nice incentive to get me to post.

zerotkatama

• Extern
As above, long time listener, first time poster!

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Wow, awesome! They're really crawling out of the woodwork.

(Ummm... I mean that in a GOOD kind of a way) :-)

StarKitten

• Extern
I'd love the stories. How do I get them?

WalkinPneumonia

• Extern
Thank you for extending the sign up time.

Denis

• Extern
i <3 escape artist!

Hope it's not too late to sign-up for the stories.

MtnMorlock

• Extern
I [heart] escape artist, too. Listen to EscapePod and PodCastle. Awesome.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
i <3 escape artist!

Hope it's not too late to sign-up for the stories.

Nope, not too late yet!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 04:06:33 PM by DKT »

CallumR

• Extern
WooHoo more stories sign me up please

TomInTennessee

• Extern
    • The Discordian Group
Well DKT, you plot worked.  I have listened to Escape Pod starting with episode 5, and have followed all the Escape Artists podcasts since.  But until now I have never joined your forum.  Now I have for the exclusive stories.

Thanks.

DarthCaitSith

• Extern
I'd love some stories :)

zoanon

• Peltast
ahh! almost too late :O 
now that Iv started school, I don't have time to read any more so escape artist pretty much provides all my literature, and what awesome stuff it is too.
I heart you all very much for keeping me in fiction. <3

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
I'd love some stories :)

Your avatar name makes me laugh.  :)

Dame

• Extern
I've been listening for a year or so, but made very few posts. I promise I'll post more if I can have some scrummy new stories.  ;D

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
I've been listening for a year or so, but made very few posts. I promise I'll post more if I can have some scrummy new stories.  ;D

Are you the Dame I know from other forumspaces?  (I'm known as steffenwolf in most places)

Welcome!

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Are you the Dame I know from other forumspaces?

What a line! I picture you wearing a trenchcoat and hat, and smoking a cigarette.

Marguerite

• Editor
    • Cast of Wonders
What a line! I picture you wearing a trenchcoat and hat, and smoking a cigarette.

What was it, "Hey, broads hate being called dames!" ?   :)

Alea Iacta Est!

Turbo Funnelcake

• Extern
Oh Oh Oh m3 tooo!! me too!!   I've been listening to the "pods" since oh around EP 16 (one of my top 10 fav)  We miss you Steve!! <3

Maplesugar

• Palmer
I hope I made it in time! Darn University assignments messing with my enjoyment of EA.

You guys all rock- may I please have the bonus stories as well?

I <3 Escape Artists lots.