Author Topic: Sandman TV series coming????  (Read 10346 times)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
on: September 02, 2010, 10:54:04 PM
http://io9.com/5628181/neil-gaimans-sandman-coming-to-tv-at-last

I agree with the article's standpoint "not without Neil."

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 11:01:55 PM
http://io9.com/5628181/neil-gaimans-sandman-coming-to-tv-at-last

I agree with the article's standpoint "not without Neil."

Ditto. And he's just finishing his Doctor Who episode, so he's available! #UnlikelyThingsToActuallyBeTrue

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 11:22:15 PM
I'd be happy if they got Neil's blessing, and if that was the sum-total of his involvement. I think the chances of him committing much of his time to (potentially) several years of a TV show is doubtful.

(And I'm personally holding out for more Neil fiction. Although I'm also really happy to hear he wrote the Anansi Boys script...)

So I don't know. This could be really awesome with the right people involved. It could also be horrible. Hopefully Morpheus won't have to punch anybody.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 10:05:20 PM
I'll watch the series no matter who does it or where. I'm not a purist or a fanboy for Sandman -- I like it, and I'll compare the books to the show (just as I do for True Blood and Smallville). I think putting it on a pay-cable network is an awesome idea because it'll allow the producers to make it more faithful to the books -- language, violence, nudity, and thematic elements don't have to be restricted. And can you just imagine how scary it'll be the first time the Corinthian takes off his sunglasses? Just as long as the producers simultaneously release it in other ways (such as iTunes and Netflix), because really, by the time this comes out too few people will have cable.

And of course I want Gaiman's involvement -- and I think Eric Kripke would make a great showrunner for it as well.

But if it gets bad reviews, or people are saying "this is against the spirit of Sandman, even though it keeps the ideas", I'll still watch it. Because it'll still probably be pretty cool.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

internalogic

• Palmer
Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 05:15:49 AM
For me,  it would have to be with the right kind of director.  I'm okay if Neil Gaiman's not intimately involved because his books themselves give more than enough texture and detail.  And they are already visual so it's like he's already provided an instruction manual.  But only the right director would be able to capture that particular atmosphere.  I fear that many directors/production houses would just find it to be too much work.  I'd fear that it wouldn't be textured enough.

Sandman was so good at making these hairpin turns and disjunctures between prosaic and numinous, commonplace and the cosmic. 

I think it's that atmosphere that is most important of all. And not many directors are able to create that.  I think I'd trust it in the hands of Terry Gilliam.    Or Alfonso Cuaron.  But I have trouble thinking of anyone else.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 02:31:22 PM
Threadomancy, with an exciting update:

Sandman the TV series: now with Gaiman input

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 03:50:25 PM
Huh. Well, that could be pretty cool.

I have to say, though - that in addition to this, scripting Anansi Boys (which he may have already finished), and scripting The Journey to the West trilogy, I wonder when he'll have time to write another novel? Though I'm very much looking forward to the nonfiction book on the Journey he's writing.

The teenager in me is still hoping against hope for Neverwhere 2/Seven Sisters one day...

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 06:41:04 PM
If Eric Kripke is involved, I'm pretty sure it won't suck. The thing is, it won't be doable as a standard episodic TV series. It would have to be more like Lost.

I hope it goes to a cable channel at least.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 07:31:39 PM
It sounds like he was initially involved but is no longer, unfortunately. The upside is Gaiman is definitely involved now (that was not clear when I posted the initial article).

I've been eager to see some screen adaptation of Sandman for a while now. Soooooo much potential.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 07:44:56 PM
I agree that Kripke would have been superb (HUGE Supernatural fan) but this definitely has my attention.  It's also allowed me to focus in on the things that I would really love them to do and, weirdly, there are exactly two of them:

Richard E. Grant as Lucien please.  Or a Richard E.Grant-esque actor.

The day that I hear the line 'He's a raven, his partner's a serial killer.  THEY'RE COPS!' on TV is the day that for me, the pop culture mosaic will be much more complete.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 11:40:47 PM
The day that I hear the line 'He's a raven, his partner's a serial killer.  THEY'RE COPS!' on TV is the day that for me, the pop culture mosaic will be much more complete.

I thought the line was "...They fight crime!"

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 08:27:30 AM
Oh yep, stand corrected:)

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 02:50:07 PM

I remember that meme.

tinygaia

• Peltast
Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 07:44:38 PM

http://www.theyfightcrime.org/

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 08:03:43 PM

http://www.theyfightcrime.org/

"He's a lounge-singing umbrella-wielding romance novelist searching for his wife's true killer. She's a disco-crazy hip-hop traffic cop from the wrong side of the tracks. They fight crime!"

I would watch the heck out of that show!

Awesome link :P

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 09:38:44 PM
Oh yep, stand corrected:)

He's a raven who used to be a man, right? I seem to remember Matthew originally appearing, like John Constantine, in Alan Moore's run of Swamp Thing but I'm unclear on how he became a raven.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 10:24:27 PM
I saw a bunch of press about whether there is or isn't a Sandman TV series: as far as I know, nobody has actually optioned SANDMAN as a TV series from DC Comics, who own it. Eric Kripke (of Supernatural fame) pitched his approach to DC and to me last year, and we liked it and we liked him, but it didn't feel quite right at that point, so we passed.

I think that this year the people at DC Comics (and me) will talk to a lot of people who want to make a Sandman TV series, and if we find the perfect person with the perfect way of treating the material, it'll happen. And otherwise it won't.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #17 on: March 27, 2011, 12:22:17 AM
*grumble*

They keep teasing us. :(

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #18 on: June 11, 2011, 09:13:34 PM
Here's some good news for those readers upset that the television adaptation of Neil Gaiman's Sandman stalled out. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Tom Hanks' Playtone Productions will produce a whopping six seasons of Neil Gaiman's earthbound-deities novel American Gods.
We had heard previously that Hanks was considering adapting Gaiman's acclaimed book for HBO, and now it looks like American Gods is finally getting that chichi cable treatment. Notes THR:
The series-in-development, revolving around the question "are you a god if no one believes in you?" is executive produced by [Gary] Goetzman and Hanks, with Bob Richardson, and Gaiman on board as executive producer and writer.

!!!

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #19 on: June 12, 2011, 02:19:12 AM
*happydance*

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 04:34:33 PM
Here's some good news for those readers upset that the television adaptation of Neil Gaiman's Sandman stalled out. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Tom Hanks' Playtone Productions will produce a whopping six seasons of Neil Gaiman's earthbound-deities novel American Gods.
We had heard previously that Hanks was considering adapting Gaiman's acclaimed book for HBO, and now it looks like American Gods is finally getting that chichi cable treatment. Notes THR:
The series-in-development, revolving around the question "are you a god if no one believes in you?" is executive produced by [Gary] Goetzman and Hanks, with Bob Richardson, and Gaiman on board as executive producer and writer.

!!!

I was thinking six seasons seems like a hell of a long time for the one book. So this tweet makes a lot more sense.

(AND YAY!!! More AG books!!! Though like Neverwhere 2, I'll believe it when I'm holding it  ;))