Author Topic: EP257: Union Dues: The Sum of Its Parts  (Read 25163 times)

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
    • Burning Zeppelin Experience
Reply #25 on: September 17, 2010, 01:26:11 PM
Ah, Union Dues. Man, do I love you.

I'm especially fond of the early Union Dues. It's the sense of mysterious becoming, I think. The newly superified Founders don't really know what they are becoming, they just know that they're transforming. Their trials and conflicts as they struggle to become whatever it is they are going to become are always compelling and a little bit creepy. I'm really eager to see this hit the little screen.

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.

Bete

• Extern
  • All Fangy and Grrrrrrr
    • Kingdom of Loathing
Reply #26 on: September 18, 2010, 01:30:57 PM
It was really hard to listen to the gender-role commentary (read sexism) of the narrator.  Yes, I get it takes place in the 50s, but, if the protagonist's thoughts or the plot itself aren't going to be used to explore those biases, then I don't really know why I'm listening/reading.  The whole "over-power-the-woman-who-is-not-staying-in-her-place-and-then-plant-a-kiss-on-her" cliche is frustrating and disappointing when not given a new twist. 

This was my first Union Dues episode, so maybe I just wasn't invested enough in the characters to "grit my teeth" and make my way through this chapter, but I actually had to turn it off about 3/4 of the way through because I was listening while riding my bike and I feared that if I kept rolling my eyes, I would end up hitting a parked car.  ;)

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #27 on: September 18, 2010, 03:47:01 PM
It was really hard to listen to the gender-role commentary (read sexism) of the narrator.  Yes, I get it takes place in the 50s, but, if the protagonist's thoughts or the plot itself aren't going to be used to explore those biases, then I don't really know why I'm listening/reading. 

Because it's authentic to the period, maybe?

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
    • Burning Zeppelin Experience
Reply #28 on: September 18, 2010, 04:02:39 PM
It was really hard to listen to the gender-role commentary (read sexism) of the narrator.  Yes, I get it takes place in the 50s, but, if the protagonist's thoughts or the plot itself aren't going to be used to explore those biases, then I don't really know why I'm listening/reading.  The whole "over-power-the-woman-who-is-not-staying-in-her-place-and-then-plant-a-kiss-on-her" cliche is frustrating and disappointing when not given a new twist. 

I thought the new twist was "a character written in the modern day who is honest about being such a jerk but not without being sympathetic in some ways."

Most of the time, as I see it, when modern writers write 50's dudes (and other dudes of similarly shitty time periods), they fall into one of two extremes: they either write him as one of the few non- (or at least less-) sexist men of the time, or they write him as a total jerk. The fact that the narrator is an openly, honestly portrayed sexist jerk but otherwise sympathetic is unique very interesting.

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.

chornbe

• Extern
Reply #29 on: September 19, 2010, 12:49:09 PM
Ok, I've listened, pondered, listened again...

Mr. DeRego, my ONLY criticism on the story is that for a little bit in the middle of the story, the names all kind of ran together. Maybe that was just me, but I had to *think* about which character was being discussed for a moment... But only for a moment. "Right, Paul was the guy with..." happened in my head a few times.

Nothing a bit of character-fleshing up front wouldn't completely fix, and for all I know, that might have just been me. Both times I listened to it were in the car running errands. ;)

I find this a strong story, dealing with many of the things that make "Supers" interesting; their human side. We had revenge, we had temptation, we had the stoic last man standing, we had the "grey area" trust, we had notion of everyone answering to someone...

We had true heroism.

Thank you, Mr. DeRego.

Write some novel-length Union Dues stories so I can buy some paper and put it on a shelf next to my Lafferty books for goodness sakes. I WANT TO GIVE YOU MONEY!!!  ;D ;D ;D

More Union Dues, please!

http://thepacepodcast.com

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #30 on: September 20, 2010, 07:31:33 PM
It was really hard to listen to the gender-role commentary (read sexism) of the narrator.  Yes, I get it takes place in the 50s, but, if the protagonist's thoughts or the plot itself aren't going to be used to explore those biases, then I don't really know why I'm listening/reading. 

Because it's authentic to the period, maybe?

And authentic to the character.  If the story was a one-off, then yes, I would agree with the "Why bother" sentiment.  But seeing as it is part of a series, it tells us more about one of the central characters, i.e, he is a sexist asshole. 

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

Dave

• Peltast
    • I Can Bend Minds With My Spoon
Reply #31 on: September 22, 2010, 12:57:45 AM
Not the strongest UD story by a longshot. The characters were pretty shallow, and their superpowers weren't really used in an interesting way. Others have commented about the distinctly unsuper strategic thinking, so I won't belabor the point.

That said, it's really interesting to hear about the first batch of Supers, and I'd like to hear more of their story.

-Dave (aka Nev the Deranged)

Traeonna

• Extern
Reply #32 on: September 22, 2010, 11:59:29 AM
I love the Union Dues series. I'm so glad to finally have another one! I'm not usually one to like superhero/villain stories, but this series I enjoy (oh, and Mur's Playing For Keeps, but seriously...not too many others). Looking forward to many more Union Dues!!!

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #33 on: September 22, 2010, 02:25:17 PM
I love the Union Dues series. I'm so glad to finally have another one! I'm not usually one to like superhero/villain stories, but this series I enjoy (oh, and Mur's Playing For Keeps, but seriously...not too many others). Looking forward to many more Union Dues!!!

Have you checked out MW Selznick's Brave Men Run?

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
Reply #34 on: September 22, 2010, 02:51:47 PM
Wonderful. Every time I see a Union Dues story in the rotation, I skip it to the head of the podcast queue and listen to it first. Love this universe.

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

Traeonna

• Extern
Reply #35 on: September 22, 2010, 07:36:35 PM

Have you checked out MW Selznick's Brave Men Run?

Yes, ages ago. As I said, not many others. BMR was one other one.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #36 on: September 22, 2010, 08:06:46 PM
Another superhero story you might enjoy is the 'Secret World Chronicles' series you can find on Podiobooks. It has space nazis! :p

Dave

• Peltast
    • I Can Bend Minds With My Spoon
Reply #37 on: September 23, 2010, 12:34:53 AM
Let me add my kudos to both Brave Men Run and Playing For Keeps. Both definitely worth a listen. And free!

-Dave (aka Nev the Deranged)

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #38 on: September 23, 2010, 01:37:46 AM
I can also recommend The Red Panda (62 episodes and counting!) by Decoder Ring Theatre.  Superhero adventure in the style of 40s and 50s radio dramas!

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

heyes

• Peltast
    • The Returning
Reply #39 on: September 24, 2010, 01:44:42 AM
I can also recommend The Red Panda (62 episodes and counting!) by Decoder Ring Theatre.  Superhero adventure in the style of 40s and 50s radio dramas!

True Dat. (Double True)

"Feed me Seymour!"
     -Audry II
"You were not put on the Earth to get it, Mr. Burton"
     - Lo Pan

astyanax

• Extern
Reply #40 on: September 24, 2010, 02:27:10 AM
I do have to strongly agree with the earlier comment that it doent seem right without steve reading a UD story.

There have been several UD stories that weren't read by Steve, if I remember correctly.  Freedom with a small f comes immediately to mind.

Steve has only read three, "All that We Leave Behind", "All About the Sponsors", and "The Threnody of Johnny Toruko". The other 8 were read by other people.

It would seem I am not paying attention as well as I thought

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #41 on: September 24, 2010, 03:06:09 AM
I do have to strongly agree with the earlier comment that it doent seem right without steve reading a UD story.

There have been several UD stories that weren't read by Steve, if I remember correctly.  Freedom with a small f comes immediately to mind.

Steve has only read three, "All that We Leave Behind", "All About the Sponsors", and "The Threnody of Johnny Toruko". The other 8 were read by other people.

It would seem I am not paying attention as well as I thought

I think it's just that Steve is so deeply identified with the stories that it's easy to think he read them all.

:)

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

obrseamus

• Extern
Reply #42 on: September 27, 2010, 10:06:35 PM
It's great to see another Union Dues story. I really hope that the TV series actually makes it to production.  Hell Mutant X did =p

Bloodyboots

• Extern
Reply #43 on: September 29, 2010, 03:08:57 AM
Am I correct when it seems that Colonel Langton could only use one power at a time?

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #44 on: September 29, 2010, 03:23:20 AM
Am I correct when it seems that Colonel Langton could only use one power at a time?

That is what I inferred, though it may have been that using one, other than strength, seemed to overshadow or interfere with the others at any given time. I tried to purposefully keep it vague.

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #45 on: September 29, 2010, 03:46:20 PM

That is what I inferred

You don't know?  I'm confused.

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

Lionman

• Peltast
  • Next time, I'll just let sleeping dogs lie.
    • The Practice of IT.
Reply #46 on: September 29, 2010, 08:21:07 PM
I enjoyed how this was a story about how to outsmart the Jack of All Trades / Joker in the group, who had a hidden agenda.

Failure is an event, not a person.

Raruss1

• Extern
Reply #47 on: September 29, 2010, 08:47:07 PM
I do miss having Steve narrate these, but it was narrated very well

yicheng

• Matross
Reply #48 on: October 06, 2010, 09:15:09 PM
Yay!  Union Dues = Insta-Win!!

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #49 on: October 06, 2010, 09:15:57 PM
Yay!  Union Dues = Insta-Win!!

Why, thanks!

:)