Escape Artists
December 12, 2018, 02:30:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PC122: Kingspeaker  (Read 11232 times)
stePH
Actually has enough cowbell.
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 09:38:26 AM »

That actually put me in mind of Kevin Smith's film Dogma, in which the Archangel Metatron spoke to humans on God's behalf, because the unfiltered Voice of God would  annihilate humans ("we went through three Adams before we figured that one out.")
I believe that has a basis in the Bible.

Debatable. I've read from Genesis through Leviticus, and sometimes "an Angel of the LORD" speaks to a person; other times "the LORD" appears to be speaking directly to them.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 11:12:59 AM »

That actually put me in mind of Kevin Smith's film Dogma, in which the Archangel Metatron spoke to humans on God's behalf, because the unfiltered Voice of God would  annihilate humans ("we went through three Adams before we figured that one out.")

Debatable. I've read from Genesis through Leviticus, and sometimes "an Angel of the LORD" speaks to a person; other times "the LORD" appears to be speaking directly to them.

Wasn't his voice the one emanating from the burning bush, for one?
Atras
Extern

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 12:26:41 PM »

I really enjoyed this story.  I thought it was going to get a little more sinister, or worse: turn into a love story between the voice and the King - (complicated masturbation, really) but I liked it.

Also, the reader was really good.  I could listen to her read all day and be very happy.
Wilson Fowlie
Hipparch

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2010, 10:14:55 PM »

It bugged me that the commoners were considered too low to even hear his voice because, like you said, arbitrary bloodlines.  But, I figured, that's just a new facet to historical monarchies, so I can't really knock the author or the story for it.  I can knock humankind for coming up with such a concept.

Not really, at least not the Metatron him(it?)self.  According to Wikipedia (which you can take for what it's worth, although the source they cite is the Encyclopedia Brittanica): There are no references to him in the Jewish Tanakh (Old Testament) or Christian Scriptures (New Testament). Although he is mentioned in a few brief passages in the Talmud, Metatron appears primarily in medieval Jewish mystical texts and other post-scriptural esoteric and occult sources.

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham
kibitzer
Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
Hipparch

Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2010, 04:29:53 AM »

Metatron, however, is a secret part of Transformers myth.

Max e^{i pi}
Hipparch

Have towel, will travel.

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2010, 12:51:40 PM »

From what I understand, Metatron is the female aspect of god in Jewish mythology.
It's confusing, but has something to do with protecting and nurturing.
But I think we tangented...

That should be a real word.

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!

Peg leg Pete
Extern

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2010, 02:11:13 PM »

The story reminded me a bit of one of Gulliver's Travels.  In that part of the story, the kings develop ears so large that they flop down and block out sound. A special caste is invented to flap the ears of the rulers so suplicants may be heard. This had some of the same elements, but the added concepts of the ruler too pure to be heard by human ears also seems to ring with bits and pieces of historical elements as well, particularly the Egyptian pharohs. Overall, I really enjoyed the story.  Well written, and well told.
Scattercat
Caution:
Hipparch

Amateur wordsmith

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2010, 01:43:05 AM »

[comment redacted lest your eyes all be burned from your skulls upon beholding its divine perfection]

---
Mirrorshards: Very Short Stories
100 Words.  No more.  No fewer.  Every day.
Splinters of Silver and Glass - The Mirrorshards Book
ElectricPaladin
Hipparch

Holy Robot

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2010, 01:48:54 AM »

From what I understand, Metatron is the female aspect of god in Jewish mythology.
It's confusing, but has something to do with protecting and nurturing.
But I think we tangented...

That should be a real word.

No, I think that's Ahserah, or posibly the "bat kol" that you're talking about. Metatron is pretty much just an angel, as far as I recall.

Of course, kaballah is some weird stuff. Have you ever heard about Lilith, Sammael, Adam, and the Shabbat Bride wife swapping every Friday? Weird, weird stuff...

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.
stePH
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2010, 10:25:06 AM »

Of course, kaballah is some weird stuff. Have you ever heard about Lilith, Sammael, Adam, and the Shabbat Bride wife swapping every Friday? Weird, weird stuff...

I used to be quite the Crowley/Golden Dawn fan, and even a low-level OTO member, but I don't recall hearing any such thing. Mostly studied Tree of Life and gematria. Hmm, maybe I need to look back into Qabala; should be at least as entertaining as the Bible.

Lionman
Peltast

Next time, I'll just let sleeping dogs lie.

« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2010, 03:18:40 PM »

I liked how the story boiled down into what became Man and Woman are made One.

Failure is an event, not a person.
ElectricPaladin
Hipparch

Holy Robot

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2010, 03:26:36 PM »

I used to be quite the Crowley/Golden Dawn fan, and even a low-level OTO member, but I don't recall hearing any such thing. Mostly studied Tree of Life and gematria. Hmm, maybe I need to look back into Qabala; should be at least as entertaining as the Bible.

Man, you have NO idea. Are you at least 35 and married, though? According to tradition, if you're younger or singler, the divine sex content will blow out your brain and leave you crazy or dead.

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.
zcarter80
Extern

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2010, 01:32:02 AM »

The narration was excellent, and the story was what i have come to expect of podcastle's high standards.The thought of being someones voice is a tricky thing when you look at it. To repeat whats spoken to you and to be the one people watch as they try to anticipate what words may come next it can be nerve wrecking. Public speaking is already tough enough with a speech prepared and memorized but to be uncertain as to weather or not the words you say are going to cause a riot or a cheer must be far worse. they captured the anxieties the main character must have felt quite well. i think the king may have needed more development and it surprises me that they didn't marry and live happily ever after but all in all i think it ended as it should have. Keep up the good work here people.
jjtraw
Palmer

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2010, 03:04:31 PM »

I really enjoyed this one. A couple posts said it was predictable, and yes, I could see the ending coming - but watching it unfold was just perfect. I really do enjoy hearing stories here where religion is portrayed in a positive light. Even as I get the feeling that, were the point of view different, the happenings would be a lot more sinister.

The heroine, a woman who has no voice of her own, and is completely accepting of her role - unsettling, but very well done.

Makes me want to know more about how this world works.
stePH
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2010, 09:22:44 AM »

Man, you have NO idea. Are you at least 35 and married, though? According to tradition, if you're younger or singler, the divine sex content will blow out your brain and leave you crazy or dead.

41 and married, and thanks for the warning :-)

CieBird
Extern

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2010, 03:29:13 PM »

I really liked the idea of Kingspeaker, but had a thought.  Was it always that the Kingspeaker was a female to the male king?  With a relationship that close, it seems that the next logical step would be that the Kingspeaker becomes the mother of the next king.  I don't want to say 'the king's wife', but she is closer than any other person the king knows. I think it is an interesting relationship and would like to see it explored further.
kibitzer
Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
Hipparch

Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2010, 06:51:43 PM »

I really liked the idea of Kingspeaker, but had a thought.  Was it always that the Kingspeaker was a female to the male king?

That was implied -- I seem to recall a reference to the old King and his female Kingspeaker -- but not spelled out as an absolute. I agree, an interesting dynamic.

Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2010, 09:17:50 AM »

I really liked the idea of Kingspeaker, but had a thought.  Was it always that the Kingspeaker was a female to the male king?  With a relationship that close, it seems that the next logical step would be that the Kingspeaker becomes the mother of the next king.  I don't want to say 'the king's wife', but she is closer than any other person the king knows. I think it is an interesting relationship and would like to see it explored further.

On an unrelated note, I like your avatar.  Smiley
dmcaleer
Extern

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2010, 05:04:04 PM »

Enough already with repeating stories we've already heard on Beneath Ceaseless Skies, Starship Sofa, Clarkesworld magazine, Fantasy magazine, etc.  Most of us get all the podcasts.  Escape Artists seems to have gone to copying a lot of stories already on other podcasts -- don't know why, wish they wouldn't.  if you really want to give a boost to another podcast, give them a shout out in your intro.
Scattercat
Caution:
Hipparch

Amateur wordsmith

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2010, 06:35:03 PM »

I don't listen to any story podcasts other than the EA ones and Dunesteef.  When there is a primarily written form, I read the stories instead.

---
Mirrorshards: Very Short Stories
100 Words.  No more.  No fewer.  Every day.
Splinters of Silver and Glass - The Mirrorshards Book
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: