Author Topic: PC122: Kingspeaker  (Read 21742 times)

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
  • Have towel, will travel.
Reply #25 on: September 23, 2010, 05:51:40 PM
From what I understand, Metatron is the female aspect of god in Jewish mythology.
It's confusing, but has something to do with protecting and nurturing.
But I think we tangented...

That should be a real word.

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!

Peg leg Pete

• Extern
Reply #26 on: September 23, 2010, 07:11:13 PM
The story reminded me a bit of one of Gulliver's Travels.  In that part of the story, the kings develop ears so large that they flop down and block out sound. A special caste is invented to flap the ears of the rulers so suplicants may be heard. This had some of the same elements, but the added concepts of the ruler too pure to be heard by human ears also seems to ring with bits and pieces of historical elements as well, particularly the Egyptian pharohs. Overall, I really enjoyed the story.  Well written, and well told.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #27 on: September 26, 2010, 06:43:05 AM
[comment redacted lest your eyes all be burned from your skulls upon beholding its divine perfection]

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
    • Burning Zeppelin Experience
Reply #28 on: September 26, 2010, 06:48:54 AM
From what I understand, Metatron is the female aspect of god in Jewish mythology.
It's confusing, but has something to do with protecting and nurturing.
But I think we tangented...

That should be a real word.

No, I think that's Ahserah, or posibly the "bat kol" that you're talking about. Metatron is pretty much just an angel, as far as I recall.

Of course, kaballah is some weird stuff. Have you ever heard about Lilith, Sammael, Adam, and the Shabbat Bride wife swapping every Friday? Weird, weird stuff...

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #29 on: September 26, 2010, 03:25:06 PM
Of course, kaballah is some weird stuff. Have you ever heard about Lilith, Sammael, Adam, and the Shabbat Bride wife swapping every Friday? Weird, weird stuff...

I used to be quite the Crowley/Golden Dawn fan, and even a low-level OTO member, but I don't recall hearing any such thing. Mostly studied Tree of Life and gematria. Hmm, maybe I need to look back into Qabala; should be at least as entertaining as the Bible.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Lionman

• Peltast
  • Next time, I'll just let sleeping dogs lie.
    • The Practice of IT.
Reply #30 on: September 29, 2010, 08:18:40 PM
I liked how the story boiled down into what became Man and Woman are made One.

Failure is an event, not a person.

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
    • Burning Zeppelin Experience
Reply #31 on: September 29, 2010, 08:26:36 PM

I used to be quite the Crowley/Golden Dawn fan, and even a low-level OTO member, but I don't recall hearing any such thing. Mostly studied Tree of Life and gematria. Hmm, maybe I need to look back into Qabala; should be at least as entertaining as the Bible.

Man, you have NO idea. Are you at least 35 and married, though? According to tradition, if you're younger or singler, the divine sex content will blow out your brain and leave you crazy or dead.

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.

zcarter80

• Extern
Reply #32 on: September 30, 2010, 06:32:02 AM
 The narration was excellent, and the story was what i have come to expect of podcastle's high standards.The thought of being someones voice is a tricky thing when you look at it. To repeat whats spoken to you and to be the one people watch as they try to anticipate what words may come next it can be nerve wrecking. Public speaking is already tough enough with a speech prepared and memorized but to be uncertain as to weather or not the words you say are going to cause a riot or a cheer must be far worse. they captured the anxieties the main character must have felt quite well. i think the king may have needed more development and it surprises me that they didn't marry and live happily ever after but all in all i think it ended as it should have. Keep up the good work here people.

jjtraw

• Palmer
Reply #33 on: September 30, 2010, 08:04:31 PM
I really enjoyed this one. A couple posts said it was predictable, and yes, I could see the ending coming - but watching it unfold was just perfect. I really do enjoy hearing stories here where religion is portrayed in a positive light. Even as I get the feeling that, were the point of view different, the happenings would be a lot more sinister.

The heroine, a woman who has no voice of her own, and is completely accepting of her role - unsettling, but very well done.

Makes me want to know more about how this world works.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #34 on: October 01, 2010, 02:22:44 PM

Man, you have NO idea. Are you at least 35 and married, though? According to tradition, if you're younger or singler, the divine sex content will blow out your brain and leave you crazy or dead.

41 and married, and thanks for the warning :-)

CieBird

• Extern
Reply #35 on: October 02, 2010, 08:29:13 PM
I really liked the idea of Kingspeaker, but had a thought.  Was it always that the Kingspeaker was a female to the male king?  With a relationship that close, it seems that the next logical step would be that the Kingspeaker becomes the mother of the next king.  I don't want to say 'the king's wife', but she is closer than any other person the king knows. I think it is an interesting relationship and would like to see it explored further.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #36 on: October 02, 2010, 11:51:43 PM
I really liked the idea of Kingspeaker, but had a thought.  Was it always that the Kingspeaker was a female to the male king?

That was implied -- I seem to recall a reference to the old King and his female Kingspeaker -- but not spelled out as an absolute. I agree, an interesting dynamic.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #37 on: October 04, 2010, 02:17:50 PM
I really liked the idea of Kingspeaker, but had a thought.  Was it always that the Kingspeaker was a female to the male king?  With a relationship that close, it seems that the next logical step would be that the Kingspeaker becomes the mother of the next king.  I don't want to say 'the king's wife', but she is closer than any other person the king knows. I think it is an interesting relationship and would like to see it explored further.

On an unrelated note, I like your avatar.  :)

dmcaleer

• Extern
Reply #38 on: October 08, 2010, 10:04:04 PM
Enough already with repeating stories we've already heard on Beneath Ceaseless Skies, Starship Sofa, Clarkesworld magazine, Fantasy magazine, etc.  Most of us get all the podcasts.  Escape Artists seems to have gone to copying a lot of stories already on other podcasts -- don't know why, wish they wouldn't.  if you really want to give a boost to another podcast, give them a shout out in your intro.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #39 on: October 08, 2010, 11:35:03 PM
I don't listen to any story podcasts other than the EA ones and Dunesteef.  When there is a primarily written form, I read the stories instead.

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #40 on: October 09, 2010, 12:04:46 AM
I don't listen to any story podcasts other than the EA ones and Dunesteef.  When there is a primarily written form, I read the stories instead.

Not even the Drabblecast? :o  With as many drabbles as you have posted or that been read by Norm, I find that hard to believe.  ;)

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #41 on: October 09, 2010, 02:09:49 AM

Not even the Drabblecast? :o  With as many drabbles as you have posted or that been read by Norm, I find that hard to believe.  ;)

Oh, right.  And the Drabblecast.

Point is, I don't listen to the podcasts at all the other magazines listed, so the complaint that "everyone" does so is spurious.  Frankly, I can tear through a half dozen written stories in the time it takes me to listen to just one, so podcasts are deeply counterproductive for me.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #42 on: October 11, 2010, 01:46:11 PM
Oh, right.  And the Drabblecast.

Point is, I don't listen to the podcasts at all the other magazines listed, so the complaint that "everyone" does so is spurious.  Frankly, I can tear through a half dozen written stories in the time it takes me to listen to just one, so podcasts are deeply counterproductive for me.

I find the opposite is true for me.  It seems like if I'm just sitting down somewhere, I always have something else I need to do.  But I listen to podcasts when I'm doing low-cognitive tasks like household chores or interstate driving.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #43 on: October 12, 2010, 01:52:16 AM
+1 Unblinking.

For me, it's getting to and from work on public transport; walking the dogs; car trips longer than, say, 15 mins. With the walking, I can and have and do read while I walk but the audio is easier. Also: a well-read story is just a complete delight. There is something very powerful about the spoken word and done well, such a story can send chills down your spine, make laugh out loud, or quietly cry.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #44 on: October 12, 2010, 01:58:53 PM
+1 Unblinking.

For me, it's getting to and from work on public transport; walking the dogs; car trips longer than, say, 15 mins. With the walking, I can and have and do read while I walk but the audio is easier. Also: a well-read story is just a complete delight. There is something very powerful about the spoken word and done well, such a story can send chills down your spine, make laugh out loud, or quietly cry.

On a sidenote, I also sometimes get strong associations in my brain between the story I am listening to and the action that I am doing at the time.  For instance, a particular stretch of road across South Dakota makes me think of The Button Bin.  The line at the post office sometimes makes me think of Hell is the Absence of God, or sometimes that story about the mostly venom-proof religious cult (I can't think of the name).

When I was a kid, we had a little 8 inch old black and white TV and then a bigger 25 inch color TV.  Sometimes in the summer I'd put them in the same room and play video games while I listened to re-runs of TV shows.  So, for instance, there is one particular level of The Illusion of Gaia with a jungle setting associated with an episode of Star Trek TNG where Riker falls in love with a member of an asexual alien race.  Whenever I think of one, I think of the other in tandem.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #45 on: October 12, 2010, 06:05:00 PM
I have the same thing.  It's particularly strong in this one stretch of road about a hundred miles northwest of Charlotte (which is where I heard and was annoyed by "Now + N, Now - N" and with Splinterstone Valley in Loch Modan over in World of Warcraft, where the really annoying chain of Trogg quests was made easier by "The Dinner Game."

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #46 on: October 18, 2010, 03:54:56 PM
On a sidenote, I also sometimes get strong associations in my brain between the story I am listening to and the action that I am doing at the time.  For instance, a particular stretch of road across South Dakota makes me think of The Button Bin.  The line at the post office sometimes makes me think of Hell is the Absence of God, or sometimes that story about the mostly venom-proof religious cult (I can't think of the name).

I have done a very unscientific study on this, and have found several people that this holds true for, including myself.  For instance, back when I was commuting to Boston, I read Zodiac one very hot summer, and I still associate that book with riding the silver line out to the pier where I worked.  For podcasts, I will always associate "Will You Be An Astronaut" through "On the Eyeball Floor" with a road trip to a wedding in PA I went to last year.  Even just the title of one of those stories pops up an image of where I was. 

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #47 on: October 18, 2010, 03:57:04 PM
Back to the story itself.  I liked this one, but it won't stick around in my brain for long, I don't think, as it did not bring up much that was new or different.  I could see where it was going, but it was written well enough that I enjoyed the ride.

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

Maplesugar

• Palmer
Reply #48 on: October 19, 2010, 05:39:08 AM
I have the same thing.  It's particularly strong in this one stretch of road about a hundred miles northwest of Charlotte (which is where I heard and was annoyed by "Now + N, Now - N" and with Splinterstone Valley in Loch Modan over in World of Warcraft, where the really annoying chain of Trogg quests was made easier by "The Dinner Game."

Oh goodie- I am so glad that someone else listens to EA stories while WoWing. 

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #49 on: October 20, 2010, 09:20:48 PM

I now listen only to the EA story podcasts, as both Variant Frequencies and Clonepod have gone off.