Author Topic: Fantasy Literature Poll - Tie runoff for second round  (Read 5570 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: September 16, 2010, 06:54:54 AM
King Arthur has returned!  In the final elimination group, Le Mort d'Arthur had a very surprising victory, and came in first place over three of Neil Gaiman's worlds.  Second place was captured by The Last Unicorn.  So the only Gaiman going into the Quarterfinals will be Neverwhere and possibly Good Omens - if it passes this week's tiebreaker.

And this tiebreaking deal?  Really not getting any easier.  Six entries that all tied for second place in the elimination round are represented here.  The last tie runoff poll resulted in a four way tie for second place.  So we're going to try restricting you all to just one vote for these fine fantasy works.  Two get to move on to the quarterfinals.  If there are any further ties I'll remove my own vote - and if that doesn't help I'll be flipping coins. 

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 03:53:53 PM
Harsh, but fair. It's hard to pick just one, but we better get used to it for the next rounds.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 02:40:19 AM
Dudes, it's ALL of the Discworld.  Holy crap, guys.  How can I be the ONLY vote?

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 05:21:44 PM
Dudes, it's ALL of the Discworld.  Holy crap, guys.  How can I be the ONLY vote?

Yes. Seriously people, Discworld. The guy has a meteor sword.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 06:09:37 PM

Thing is voting for Good Omens feels like voting for Gaiman and Pratchett at once. Well, technically it IS, but at feels for me its somehow an acknowledgement of Discworld too. :P

I can't choose between Gaiman and Pratchett. :p

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 03:02:38 AM
I can't choose between Gaiman and Pratchett. :p

Heck, that one's easy -- Gaiman every time. ;-)

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 11:58:47 AM
Have none of you read Fritz Leiber?

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 12:41:04 PM
I haven't, no. In fact the name is only vaguely familiar to me, no more.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 01:50:24 PM
Have none of you read Fritz Leiber?

I most certainly have, in fact I once had a grey car with the license plate "GMOUSER".  I of course voted for Leiber's works up until now, over Good Omens in the last round as well as many other fantastic works.

This round though... well I have just three words to say to you: Lewis freakin' Carroll.

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 09:31:55 AM
This round though... well I have just three words to say to you: Lewis freakin' Carroll.

Not good enough I say, sir! Not good enough!