Author Topic: Fantasy Literature Poll - Quarterfinals 1  (Read 3640 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: September 23, 2010, 05:10:19 PM
From now on, the poll is 1-1 playoffs.  No distractions - just a simple choice of which book/book series is better than the other.  This week it's Wizards vs. Pirates!  Or something like that.

Last week's tie runoff had everything getting at least one vote as someone's favorite, usually two.  It's Good Omens and Wonderland that will get quarterfinal spots though.  And there will be no further ties from this point on - any seeming tie will be resolved by discounting my own vote.  Ah well.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 07:09:48 PM
I must admit, most of my great affection for Princess Bride springs from the movie.

That probably makes me a horrible person.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 07:46:51 PM
If we were voting for fantasy movies, then Princess Bride would win hands down. But the only additional thing I recall the book adding over the movie was more Fezzik back story. However, since this vote is for literature, this makes the vote for the seven Harry Potter novels easy.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 08:22:45 PM
Princess Bride? They made a book outta that movie?

*Hides*

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 03:35:49 AM
It WAS a really good movie version.

I voted for it just because I honestly think the Harry Potter books are a bit pants, literature-wise.  Middling-to-good writing, shading to crappy in parts, badly in need of an editor for the latter third of the series.  Also had a Twilight-esque problem that it wasn't saying what it thought it was saying with regard to its main character.  ("Famous jock thinks the rules don't apply to him, is right," was one of the pithier descriptions of the series I've seen.)  Ron and Hermione are proper heroes; Harry's just a self-absorbed twat who gets to win all the time because the plot loves him.