Author Topic: EP257: Union Dues: The Sum of Its Parts  (Read 24923 times)

Denis

• Extern
Reply #50 on: October 07, 2010, 01:17:02 PM
Thanks for another Union Dues story. Always enjoy them.

motoyugota

• Extern
Reply #51 on: October 11, 2010, 03:24:41 PM
I've only heard two Union Dues stories so far and I definitely have to go back and get the others.

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #52 on: October 11, 2010, 05:32:19 PM
I've only heard two Union Dues stories so far and I definitely have to go back and get the others.

You can get them all (in publication order) linked at the www.1800gounion.com media page.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

motoyugota

• Extern
Reply #53 on: October 12, 2010, 03:06:05 PM

You can get them all (in publication order) linked at the www.1800gounion.com media page.

Yep, they're on my list. I've got too many podcasts and not enough time as it is right now, but they're moving up the list.

Bete

• Extern
  • All Fangy and Grrrrrrr
    • Kingdom of Loathing
Reply #54 on: October 23, 2010, 06:30:10 PM
It was really hard to listen to the gender-role commentary (read sexism) of the narrator.  Yes, I get it takes place in the 50s, but, if the protagonist's thoughts or the plot itself aren't going to be used to explore those biases, then I don't really know why I'm listening/reading.  The whole "over-power-the-woman-who-is-not-staying-in-her-place-and-then-plant-a-kiss-on-her" cliche is frustrating and disappointing when not given a new twist. 

I thought the new twist was "a character written in the modern day who is honest about being such a jerk but not without being sympathetic in some ways."

Most of the time, as I see it, when modern writers write 50's dudes (and other dudes of similarly shitty time periods), they fall into one of two extremes: they either write him as one of the few non- (or at least less-) sexist men of the time, or they write him as a total jerk. The fact that the narrator is an openly, honestly portrayed sexist jerk but otherwise sympathetic is unique very interesting.

And authentic to the character.  If the story was a one-off, then yes, I would agree with the "Why bother" sentiment.  But seeing as it is part of a series, it tells us more about one of the central characters, i.e, he is a sexist asshole. 

Pardon my delayed response, I've been away from the forum for a bit and while I am not trying to beat a dead horse here but I wanted to just clear something up as I appreciated the replies....

I didn't mean to critique the existence of an unsympathetic sexist protagonist as much as identify the plot choices that reward him - ie; having the female character accept a kiss from/be in love with (?) said sexist protagonist after he assaults her - as problematic.

Anyhow, it sounds like there is a larger universe here and that many posters/listeners are enjoying it.  I'm new to this forum and am not familiar with the culture yet, so I hope my criticism isn't read as trolling or antagonistic.  I appreciate that there are all types of writers and readers out there.  And I really appreciate the chance to hear their stories.

:)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #55 on: October 25, 2010, 06:24:01 PM
I'm new to this forum and am not familiar with the culture yet, so I hope my criticism isn't read as trolling or antagonistic.  I appreciate that there are all types of writers and readers out there.  And I really appreciate the chance to hear their stories.

Your post was far from trolling or antagonistic.  You may not have noticed, but a lot of around here have fun arguing merits or lack thereof of any story, and that post fits right in.  :)