Escape Artists
October 18, 2017, 02:09:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Group TWELVE (what?!) of the PseudoPod Flash Fiction Contest is now live! (All round 1 groups have been posted!)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which fantasy work do you like best?  (Voting closed: September 30, 2010, 12:10:19 PM)
The Princess Bride by S. Morgenstern abridged by William Goldman - 4 (26.7%)
Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling - 11 (73.3%)
Total Voters: 15

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fantasy Literature Poll - Quarterfinals 1  (Read 1349 times)
Ocicat
Castle Watchcat

Anything for a Weird Life

« on: September 23, 2010, 12:10:19 PM »

From now on, the poll is 1-1 playoffs.  No distractions - just a simple choice of which book/book series is better than the other.  This week it's Wizards vs. Pirates!  Or something like that.

Last week's tie runoff had everything getting at least one vote as someone's favorite, usually two.  It's Good Omens and Wonderland that will get quarterfinal spots though.  And there will be no further ties from this point on - any seeming tie will be resolved by discounting my own vote.  Ah well.
Talia

Muahahahaha

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 02:09:48 PM »

I must admit, most of my great affection for Princess Bride springs from the movie.

That probably makes me a horrible person.
Fenrix
Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
Editor

Have you found the Yellow Sign?

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 02:46:51 PM »

If we were voting for fantasy movies, then Princess Bride would win hands down. But the only additional thing I recall the book adding over the movie was more Fezzik back story. However, since this vote is for literature, this makes the vote for the seven Harry Potter novels easy.

I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Hipparch

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 03:22:45 PM »

Princess Bride? They made a book outta that movie?

*Hides*

Scattercat
Caution:
Hipparch

Amateur wordsmith

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 10:35:49 PM »

It WAS a really good movie version.

I voted for it just because I honestly think the Harry Potter books are a bit pants, literature-wise.  Middling-to-good writing, shading to crappy in parts, badly in need of an editor for the latter third of the series.  Also had a Twilight-esque problem that it wasn't saying what it thought it was saying with regard to its main character.  ("Famous jock thinks the rules don't apply to him, is right," was one of the pithier descriptions of the series I've seen.)  Ron and Hermione are proper heroes; Harry's just a self-absorbed twat who gets to win all the time because the plot loves him.

---
Mirrorshards: Very Short Stories
100 Words.  No more.  No fewer.  Every day.
Splinters of Silver and Glass - The Mirrorshards Book
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: