Escape Artists
April 25, 2014, 12:00:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PC124: Squonk And The Horde Of Apprentices  (Read 6889 times)
StarKitten
Extern

« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2010, 03:58:38 AM »

My first Escape Artists story... I think it was Feng Burger. I've been listening since there was only one podcast. Now there are three. The Squonk stories are very cute.
WalkinPneumonia
Extern

« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2010, 08:01:30 AM »

I don't remember my first story, but I do always love the Squonk stories.
seth.e.shaw
Extern

« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2010, 12:40:35 PM »

YAY for Squonk!

Like many others I don't recall what my first EA story was. What I do recall is that Squonk the apprentice was one of the first. I had to go back and listen to Squonk the dragon. I have been listening to Escape Pod ever since but was incredibly happy when Podcastle was announced.

Will post for more excellent audio fiction
Dame
Extern

« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2010, 05:42:16 PM »

Oh, I'm a grump. I didn't like this story much. The mother bird voice hurt my ears, and I would rather spend my listening time on adult stories that give me a strong emotional response or make me think. This one wasn't my little acorn cup of tea.

Maplesugar
Palmer

« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2010, 07:03:27 PM »

PodCastle never ceases to surprise me.  I found this story quite charming and a bit refreshing as well. I went looking for the first two stories right away after listening.

I can't remember my very first EA story, but one of the first ones I heard was Eugie Foster's "Sinner, Baker, Fablist, Priest; Red Mask, Black Mask, Gentleman, Beast".  While I was confused at the beginning by the changing personas, I enjoyed this story a great deal, as I was able to relate it to my own experience of people wearing many different masks in life.  Some people are like chameleons, switching personas to suit the situation.  I have found myself doing doubletakes at someone I thought I knew well when all of a sudden they are acting like a complete stranger.

Thanks for the stories!

Maplesugar
Turbo Funnelcake
Extern

« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2010, 10:27:35 PM »

This had the feel of a children's story and I LIKED it.  Cheesy

What does that say about me?

There is something about these Squonk stories that instill some childhood nostalgia in me; I love them! This is what storytelling is all about. 
Shaddicus
Extern

« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2010, 12:39:31 AM »

Several months ago I had bought the escape pod collection on CD, and had loved Squonk the dragon.  However I had petered out after 4 disks, and didn't know there was a second Squonk story out there until Dave told me in the intro to this one.  Stop, itunes, aha, load, listen... and continuity intact.

I too wished you'd gotten the Eleys to read it, but no world is perfect.

The first escape pod story I ever listened to was a quirky story about immortality achieved through writing... literally.  And how the electronic media was going to melt that for the future.  I could do a descent job of retelling it but have no clue of the title, author, or episode #.
stephanieb
Extern

« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2010, 09:30:11 AM »

Another Squonk story is always exciting. The reading was great, but the Eleys would have been awesome. I can't remember the first episode I listened too, it must have been in mid to late 2006. Some of my favorite early ones are How Lonesome a Life Without Nerve Gas and Connie, Maybe.
KittKatTiff
Extern

« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2010, 02:44:55 PM »

Anothr Squonk story! I really enjoy these. Is that a bad thing since I am not a child? Hope there are more in this series
Thomas
Palmer

« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2010, 04:56:18 PM »

Squonk, awesome. Told my daughter the was a new squonk story (she's 15) she actually SQEEEEEEE!!'d

Squonk, the name says it all... great fun. easy listen. well read.

as for my first escapepod?? that would be i do not remember, but what i do remember is that it was before the first Squonk story.

Enjoy and be nice to each other, because "WE" is all we got.
noriker
Extern

« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2010, 08:20:39 PM »

Squee!  Squonk made my day less dreary.  I loved the reasons the remaining animals had for studying wizardry.
herogeorge
Extern

« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2010, 10:58:21 PM »

I loved the closing lines.
Artemis
Extern

« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2010, 03:48:22 PM »

At first, I was completely bemused by this episode, but as it progressed the characters really grew on me. I loved the fact that, at the end, only the animals that wanted to be taught were there. It could almost be an after-school club in the real world!

Despite the dragon being the title character, I hope future episodes will show more the magician and his character development. For me, he was the most fun to listen to. But then, the narration was fantastic, the voices entertaining and diverse so there was never a dull moment.
baker8680
Extern

« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2010, 09:27:24 AM »

This was a great story and a good reminder of the fact that at the end of the day all of these stories are about people and our ability to understand them.  To add to the earlier string my first story was Mr. Penumbra and the twenty four hour bookstore.  I to will be looking up the other two squonk stories as well.
motoyugota
Extern

« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2010, 10:37:33 AM »

I liked the story well enough, but I have to admit I didn't really like the voice the mother bird was portrayed with, if only because it was pretty annoying.  Maybe that was the point though =).

I agree with you completely. And if that was the point, maybe a different point should have been made instead. That voice was almost too much to continue listening to the story at times.
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2010, 12:03:56 PM »

I liked the story well enough, but I have to admit I didn't really like the voice the mother bird was portrayed with, if only because it was pretty annoying.  Maybe that was the point though =).

I agree with you completely. And if that was the point, maybe a different point should have been made instead. That voice was almost too much to continue listening to the story at times.

To be fair, it matched Anna Eley's bird voice from previous versions quite well.

--David Steffen
The Submissions Grinder:  Fiction market listings, submissions tracker, always free, poetry and nonfiction markets coming soon!
motoyugota
Extern

« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2010, 10:11:19 AM »

To be fair, it matched Anna Eley's bird voice from previous versions quite well.

That's fine, and to be equally fair, I would have said the same thing at the time of those stories had I been listening to the podcast when they had come out.
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2010, 08:30:10 AM »

That's fine, and to be equally fair, I would have said the same thing at the time of those stories had I been listening to the podcast when they had come out.

Yup, and I said it in that comment thread myself.  Tongue  I don't disagree, really.

--David Steffen
The Submissions Grinder:  Fiction market listings, submissions tracker, always free, poetry and nonfiction markets coming soon!
Gorbash
Extern

« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2010, 05:30:58 AM »

Much like Artemis, I was almost bored by this one until about the halfway point, until the story finally started to involve me.  That may have been excessive tiredness on my part (it was the end of a looooong day), or a lack of familiarity with the previous adventures of Squonk, but I'm not desperate to seek out the earlier stories.

Clearly it's the minority opinion, but I don't think this one was for me.
internalogic
Palmer

« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2010, 05:13:39 AM »

I had the same reaction as kristofor.wilson. and motoyugota.

The voice of the mother bird in this version really grated on me.  This is not a negative comment on the narrator (he did a much better job than I would have!).  It’s just that he has a broad, sonorous, deep, and resonant masculine voice—like that of an announcer.   And it just didn't lend itself well to the high-pitched feminine and yet assertive voice required of the bluebird Mrs. Tweedlechirp.  It was straining against the comfortable boundaries of his natural register.  (Hope I’ve put that correctly).  She ended up sounding quite a bit more nagging than assertive  (or, perhaps, like a man portraying a nagging woman).

(Haha.  It’s funny to analyze the story so much.  But that character of Mrs. Tweedlechirp is kind of cool because she’s this very strong maternal character.  She has the heart of a dragon but squeezed into the tiny body of a bluebird.  You can imagine her squaring off against a lion –or a powerful wizard—to protect her son.  Somehow I think that Anna was able to capture that.)

After I read Unblinking's comment that this one matched Anna Eley’s voice from the previous versions, I went back and listened again.  And I thought, ‘Nah. Not really.’  To my ears, the two portrayals sounded extremely different.

As for the story itself, again I agree with another poster’s comment:
I was almost bored by this one until about the halfway point, until the story finally started to involve me.  That may have been excessive tiredness on my part (it was the end of a looooong day), or a lack of familiarity with the previous adventures of Squonk, but I'm not desperate to seek out the earlier stories.
Clearly it's the minority opinion, but I don't think this one was for me.

For some reason, the story really started to grab me after the wizard returned to the clearing with renewed purpose--sometime like around 32 minutes or something.  For some reason, after that it really drew me in and started ‘to work’.  I ended up really liking and it wanting very much to hear what would come next for this unique band of apprentices and wizard. 

These three stories are really laying the groundwork for an entire world.  I can see this very easily as a comic book or cartoon or eventually a novel-length book or series of novels.  But I think the nature of the stories lends itself well to serialization.  It’s fun to let each episode digest a bit before the next one comes to move the action further along.  (Maybe because each episode ends with a kind of definite resolution of a problem (as well as the promise of another problem tentatively peeking out in the distance). 

Well, at any rate, thanks for yet another wonderful story and telling!  Really appreciate this.
Nigel
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
  Print  

Jump to: