Author Topic: PodCastle Review 3: Merlin  (Read 4811 times)

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
on: October 01, 2010, 07:22:50 AM
PodCastle Review 3: Merlin

Merlin, the BBC Television Series

Reviewed by Bill Peters

Merlin, the British tv series, has had its ups and downs, but at its best it can be one of those rare shows where the scenes could be allowed to go quiet and be carried by the acting and not the music. It’s what separates it from its American counterpart Smallville. Both series are centered around the young life of one of their country’s great heroes, though obviously one of supermortals is of more recent vintage.

Reviewer's note: Review was written and recorded prior to the start of Merlin third season. Though nothing I've seen so far has really changed anything I wrote in the review.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 03:06:47 PM by Heradel »

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

alllie

• Matross
    • alllieblog
Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 01:34:15 PM
Interesting review. I've watched Merlin a few times and was a bit put off by the changes in what is an old story. I almost wish they had changed the names of the characters, just made it a medieval fantasy instead of a retelling of the Arthur story. I keep being annoyed with the changes, although without the changes I would probably have been bored. I was also a little put off by the casting. Colin Morgan (Merlin) can act, he has some charisma, but he seems so.. modern, as does most of the cast, that it all seems a little off to me.

icegirl

• Palmer
Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 09:56:07 PM
This series seems to be one I would like to like but I'm forever feeling like I missed something as I watch and find that all the characters are somewhat shuffled from the legends that I recall. Would rather watch Zena reruns.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 02:40:03 AM
Interesting review. I've watched Merlin a few times and was a bit put off by the changes in what is an old story. I almost wish they had changed the names of the characters, just made it a medieval fantasy instead of a retelling of the Arthur story. I keep being annoyed with the changes, although without the changes I would probably have been bored. I was also a little put off by the casting. Colin Morgan (Merlin) can act, he has some charisma, but he seems so.. modern, as does most of the cast, that it all seems a little off to me.

I think the modernity is somewhat BBC policy — Robin Hood was certainly similar in that it's characters tended to only pay lip service to the honor code and aristocratic order. They're certainly not trying for some sense of authenticity like, say, The Tudors.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 02:25:20 PM
Off-topic, as I've never watched either show, but the mention of Smallville reminded me of the frequent complaints about it on the Geek Tragedy Podcast: it's been years, they've even got Lex Luthor in there, but he's still not Superman yet!

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

naum nurgle

• Extern
Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 04:05:20 PM
its fluff with some big irritations (such as pointed out in the review ito the lack of current religious practice)

but like so many UK media I love the soft collapsing soufflé meme of the collapsed empire; this Merlin exists in a post glory UK whilst the original is cast in a Kipling-esk empire building narrative

"Eu acreditaria somente num Deus que soubesse dançar."
(I would believe only in a God that knows how to Dance.)  Nietzsche