Author Topic: Pseudopod 206: Flash on the Borderlands IV  (Read 16763 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: October 02, 2010, 02:52:49 AM
Pseudopod 206: Flash on the Borderlands IV

Just when you thought it was finally dead… We’re back! And tragedies always come in threes.

A Natural

By Sylvia Hiven
Read by Cheyenne Wright

Bill glanced into the mirror, certain that the truth was etched into his features. But an oddly calm face stared back at him. Sure, it was thin and wrinkled — and perhaps paler than most — but it was decorated with friendly blue eyes, and there was no sign of distress. No, sir.

Shadows’ Bride

By Marie Brennan
Read by Ben Phillips
Music and atmospherics by Toby Chappell

Their laughter is the silence of empty rooms, the hush of dust lying decades thick. Their smiles leer from metal reflections marred by tarnish and rust. Their jest has entertained them for many a year.

Is This a Horror Story?

By Scott Edelman
Read by Kris Johnson

I wanted those photos out of our house, but no one in authority could be reached that night. I went to sleep expecting nightmares, but none came.

Connecting music in this episode by Harmaline

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 05:12:59 AM
Ah, so nice.  Yay.

Man, I would pay five dollars a month just to have Alasdair read random snippets off the Internet for a while.  He has such a soothing host voice.

Wasn't too thrilled with the stories overall.  Mostly in the "Okay" to "Good" range.  "A Natural" was cute but gimmicky (and predictable.  The only thing I didn't see coming was that it was his wife who he'd had to chop up.)  "Shadows' Bride" was intriguing but kind short and plotless.  "Is This a Horror Story" was heartfelt and a titch gruesome and probably my favorite of the three, though if we're going to talk about skin-crawling flash fiction about pedophiles, "Exit Exam, Section III: Survival Skills, Question #7" is one of the most goddamned horrifying things I've ever read or heard.

Is it unfair to compare PP to PP?

Schreiber

• Peltast
Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 03:19:34 AM
You're back! Yay!

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 03:44:41 AM
Guys, so good to have you back! Welcome!

Sounds like Al's mic troubles might be fixed?

That last one was genuinely disturbing. Is it true? Don't need to know, I guess. Glad it didn't happen to me.

Awesome to have Cheyenne Wright narrating again. Awesome. What was it you said, Al -- a voice like melted funk?

insanity Claus

• Extern
Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 05:33:10 AM
I bumbled into your pod.  It was so great, I went to sign up.  Guess, what.  I was already signed-up.  I like this place, lots to discover

yaksox

• Palmer
    • sunny breaks
Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 05:48:10 AM
Great to hear you guys again.

I too noticed the high fidelity sound during Al's speaking.
And I liked the ambient bits in the middle there - nice.

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 08:08:51 AM
I bumbled into your pod.  It was so great, I went to sign up.  Guess, what.  I was already signed-up.  I like this place, lots to discover

Excellent. Be sure you don't miss out on this: http://forum.escapeartists.net/index.php?topic=4344.0

Marguerite

• Editor
    • Cast of Wonders
Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 11:41:24 PM
Oh Pseudopod, it's so very, very good to have you back.  My Friday drives home haven't been the same without you.  And WHAT a comeback!  Alasdair seems to have conquered his microphone demons and I really liked the musical selections during the bumps.

And speaking of Alasdair, happy birthday to our well-loved host!

"A Natural" had Cheyenne Wright reading.  "Voice of liquid funk" indeed.  And congrats to Cheyenne on Girl Genius taking home it's second Hugo this year.  The story itself?  Eh, I could take it or leave it.  Interesting, but unsurprising.

"Shadows' Bride" was an interesting piece.  I'm not familiar with any of the author's other work, but I like the disembodied feeling to the story and it's utter lack of context.  What made it better was the fantastic echo effect on Ben's reading, and the sound production.  Is this a first?  I'm relatively new to Pseudopod (first episode was "Bone Mother", #128) but I can't remember there being another episode with effects like this.

And then there's "Is This A Horror Story?".  WOW.  Just, WOW.  But Scattercat said it best:

"Is This a Horror Story" was heartfelt and a titch gruesome and probably my favorite of the three, though if we're going to talk about skin-crawling flash fiction about pedophiles, "Exit Exam, Section III: Survival Skills, Question #7" is one of the most goddamned horrifying things I've ever read or heard.

Couldn't agree with you more.  This one was right in the same ballpark for me as well, although it's almost better for the reader's near-deadpan voice and flat, even delivery.  There's nothing at all to distract you from the meaning of his words - you've got nowhere to hide as you listen.

Alea Iacta Est!

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 12:12:31 AM
Is this a first?  I'm relatively new to Pseudopod (first episode was "Bone Mother", #128) but I can't remember there being another episode with effects like this.

Off hand I can remember only one, another flash piece called "Scarecrow" (http://pseudopod.org/2008/08/15/flash-scarecrow/).

No wait, there was one other with minor effects, "Furnace Room Lullaby" (http://pseudopod.org/2008/10/24/pseudopod-113-furnace-room-lullaby/).

There's probably others.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 02:15:05 PM
Happy Birthday Alasdair, and welcome back Pseudopod--that empty place in my heart is filled again.

"A Natural" was good, I didn't see the final twist coming, I figured it was going the obvious direction but I didn't predict the twist that came with the reveal of the girl with the gun.

"Shadows' Bride" was okay, a good mood piece, but it didn't really seem to go anywhere.  It's premise was stated right in the title, and though it seemed to work it's way up to the final reveal, that reveal was right in the title so there wasn't much net movement.

"Is This a Horror Story?" was very creepy and disturbing, though I think the previous PP about the Werewolves/pedophiles hit me a  little harder, this one was well done as well.

Marguerite

• Editor
    • Cast of Wonders
Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 05:52:56 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think "Shadows' Bride" falls into "poem" category for me, as opposed to "story".  And I'm fine with that; I love horror in all it's guises.

Alea Iacta Est!

friendlybohemian

• Palmer
  • I AM NOT PROVIDENCE-H P. Lovecraft
    • The Official Myspace
Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 08:32:59 PM
I'm so happy to have Pseudopod back and having a new Flash on the Borderlands has made my day.
"A Natural" did a wonderful job of building enough tension to leave me in awe of the twist ending.
"Shadows' Bride" could have been good, but, like others have said, it didn't go anywhere. I think the lack of plot is what turned me off from this.
"Is This a Horror Story?" disturbed me, especially after reading a summary of "Serbian Film".

Your Friendly Neighborhood Bohemian

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 03:52:35 AM
Is this a first?  I'm relatively new to Pseudopod (first episode was "Bone Mother", #128) but I can't remember there being another episode with effects like this.

Off hand I can remember only one, another flash piece called "Scarecrow" (http://pseudopod.org/2008/08/15/flash-scarecrow/).

No wait, there was one other with minor effects, "Furnace Room Lullaby" (http://pseudopod.org/2008/10/24/pseudopod-113-furnace-room-lullaby/).

There's probably others.

Ah, musical fiction -- my only original conceptual contribution to EA.  It's always an experiment.  My favorite is actually one I had no hand in producing, "Rite of Atonement" by Melinda Selmys, scored and narrated by W. Ralph Walters a.k.a. The Zombie Astronaut.

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 03:54:41 AM
And yes, "Shadow's Bride" is extraordinarily short, by far the shortest story I've ever bought.  Definitely part poem.  (But if Ray Bradbury is to be believed, so is a lot of great fiction, and fictionists should train as poets.  Food for thought.)

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 08:31:48 AM
Great to see you back, Ben!

heyes

• Peltast
    • The Returning
Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 11:13:45 AM
Can I just say, Alasdair whatever you did to your recording setup you sounded downright melodious!  Seriously, your sound quality was great and I know that was an issue for me, and it wnet from sounding terrible to sounding really really good!  Now get back in there and narrate some!

"Feed me Seymour!"
     -Audry II
"You were not put on the Earth to get it, Mr. Burton"
     - Lo Pan

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 12:45:07 PM
fantastic to have you back!

one hundred percent agree with the praise for Alasdair's new sound.  it was an odd experience, listening to pseudopod without an edge of audio pain, but i look forward to more of it.  did you find the problem or build a new setup from scratch?

the reality oriented trifecta surprised me as a welcome back episode.  i was expecting something flashier.  you can always count on pseudopod to put you off balance by running a surprising variety of stories.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 01:30:12 PM
Well I thought Alasdair's recordings sounded good before, so they still sound good.  :)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 03:50:46 PM
Said it before but I'll say it again - sooooooooooooooooooo happy to hear PP back again!

And that last story really disturbed me.

Sylvan

• Palmer
    • The Darken Hollow
Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 04:26:45 PM
Fantastic to have PseudoPod back!

Alasdair's voice was so fantastic (well, it always is but -this time- with a new mic) and his intros/outros were ideal.

The stories themselves ranged from "really good" to "ewww..."

"The Natural" was a very good piece that really showed some nice wordplay and misdirection. Granted, I got to the ending only about a paragraph before the story's end but that's not bad. I was able to appreciate the path taken to get there, regardless.

"Shadow's Bride" was my least favorite, I'm afraid.  I just wasn't able to follow it very well.  I couldn't see what the point was or if there was any kind of culmination.

"Is This A Horror Story?" was very well written but -boy- really creeped me out. I could all-too-easily envision that scenario and felt that I just really didn't want to expose myself to it, y'know?

But, in the end, I am SO glad you're back, guys!  Welcome!  Big Cthulhu hugs!

Yours,
Sylvan (Dave)

Reply #20 on: October 06, 2010, 12:41:36 PM
It is so fantastic to hear Pseudopod back!  Alasdair's mic is fantastic, and the stories were a good "welcome back" warm-up for some of the longer short stories to come.  Oooo, shivers down my spine, I've missed you guys!

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010, 12:07:23 AM
Not bad. "The Natural" was okay. "Shadow's Bride" almost put me to sleep, but then the last one woke me back up again.

It is good to have you back.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

SanguineV

• Extern
Reply #22 on: October 07, 2010, 07:59:09 AM
Good to have Pseudopod back!

The third story was definitely the stand out for me. While I enjoyed the first as a story and the second as poetry/experimental language, the third was really "horrifying". I liked that it was so believable, so every-day and "could happen to anyone". Also that it doesn't try to answer the question, sometimes not knowing can be far worse.

One (re)request - any possibility to the flash pieces being made available individually? I often find myself wanting to share one of them, but not another, or knowing that one would NOT go down well with someone.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010, 01:29:32 PM
One (re)request - any possibility to the flash pieces being made available individually? I often find myself wanting to share one of them, but not another, or knowing that one would NOT go down well with someone.

In that past they've been done that way, as quick flash episodes between the features.  I think they've been doing them this way because of time crunch?  I could be wrong.

Jabari Woods

• Extern
    • Keep The Dead Alive
Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 05:19:01 PM
Ah, so nice.  Yay.

Man, I would pay five dollars a month just to have Alasdair read random snippets off the Internet for a while.  He has such a soothing host voice.

Wasn't too thrilled with the stories overall.  Mostly in the "Okay" to "Good" range.  "A Natural" was cute but gimmicky (and predictable.  The only thing I didn't see coming was that it was his wife who he'd had to chop up.)  "Shadows' Bride" was intriguing but kind short and plotless.  "Is This a Horror Story" was heartfelt and a titch gruesome and probably my favorite of the three, though if we're going to talk about skin-crawling flash fiction about pedophiles, "Exit Exam, Section III: Survival Skills, Question #7" is one of the most goddamned horrifying things I've ever read or heard.

Is it unfair to compare PP to PP?

I wouldn't necessarily say plotless. I would say with the fact that it is flash fiction plot is really hard to come by at all. I think word choice and message is the importance behind flash fiction. Is This A Horror Story is good proof of that.