Author Topic: PC125: The Whistling Room  (Read 18828 times)

Gia

• Palmer
Reply #25 on: October 08, 2010, 06:00:08 PM
I liked this one because of how well its served its functions as a Halloween-month story. Few podcasted stories (even on Pseudopod) have made me feel this much dread.

molecularmuse

• Extern
    • Made With Molecules
Reply #26 on: October 08, 2010, 06:14:15 PM
This one was a bit too creepy for me. But I suppose I should just stay away from all the story-telling podcasts in October!

Thomas

• Palmer
Reply #27 on: October 08, 2010, 10:04:36 PM
Awesome read, great story. reminds me of Lovecraft, Poe and even a few of Howard's ghost stories

Enjoy and be nice to each other, because "WE" is all we got.

noriker

• Extern
Reply #28 on: October 09, 2010, 01:18:36 AM
I really enjoyed the story, but found my attention drifting a lot.  I think part of it was the language but also the voice style.  It fit the genre perfectly but didn't really engage my ear.

Psegadi

• Extern
Reply #29 on: October 09, 2010, 04:36:14 AM
I really enjoyed this story.  I recently discovered the Drabblecast (and quickly listened to all the episodes available on iTunes.)  I was especially sucked in by the Lovecraft month episodes, and for the last few days I have been hungry for more of that sort of horror fiction.  This story satisfied that urge quite nicely.

blueeyeddevil

• Peltast
Reply #30 on: October 10, 2010, 04:22:37 PM
Wow, steampunky-supernatural-mystery...
why wasn't it obsessed with dirigibles, tea-table manners and brass goggles?
Oh, because it was written by somebody actually alive then.

Fun, fun, fun. This story is fun in the way only pulpy-type fiction from an era when people actually read can be...

Anfractuous

• Extern
Reply #31 on: October 12, 2010, 03:23:39 AM
I quite enjoyed this story, enough to get me to comment after months of wading through the archives and listening to the new casts.  I like the feel of Lovecraft but not the execution and in WHH I find a style of writing I'm much more in tune with but still the delightful fantastic horror of Lovecraftesq mythos.

Thanks to the editors for dredging this author up, I'll be sure to hunt down more of his work.

Anemone Flynn

• Extern
    • Anemone Flynn
Reply #32 on: October 15, 2010, 03:19:28 PM
I will definitely be looking for more of this author on Gutenberg and other sites.  I loved the old-style mystery, and the narration was excellent.  I'll be hearing the character voices every time I read these.

I am Anemone Flynn.

internalogic

• Palmer
Reply #33 on: October 16, 2010, 11:13:21 AM
I enjoyed this one immensely.  I guess it has something do with the kind of scientific spiritualism that was so common at the end of the 19th century--the same period of Freud, Jung, and the genesis of modern psychology.  Taking that Victorian classificatory eye for detail and attempting to apply it to everything under the sun and within the human heart/mind.

The authorial voice so clearly belongs to that culture, and I suppose there's something oddly comforting about a person taking refuge in details and theories while in the midst of ghosts and the supernatural.

jjtraw

• Palmer
Reply #34 on: October 20, 2010, 12:22:51 PM
Wow - I LOVED this one, I'm surprised at how many people didn't like it. And the reading was superb, perfect for the time and style. Guess no story is for everyone...

I'll definitely be looking for more Hodgson. Anyone know if there are more audio versions of Carnacki tales available anywhere?

jeroen94704

• Extern
Reply #35 on: October 22, 2010, 07:48:36 AM
I may have missed some key clue here, but what WOULD have happened if she had?

Jeroen

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #36 on: October 22, 2010, 11:38:23 PM
I may have missed some key clue here, but what WOULD have happened if she had?
Presumably something painful and fatal.

mbrennan

• Matross
Reply #37 on: October 25, 2010, 04:44:46 AM
I do like seeing the occasional classic tale pulled out and dusted off.  (Like "The Cask of Amontillado" a while back.)  Like others, I especially dug the scientific spiritualism, especially since that's a mindset I've been making use of for my next novel.

But oh, dear lord -- if an adjective is good enough to use once, surely it's good enough to use twelve or sixteen times!  I'm pretty sure I've got my RDA of the word "hooning" for, oh, the next three years.

gateaux

• Peltast
    • sketch blog
Reply #38 on: October 25, 2010, 02:23:22 PM
I loved this story! It took me back to my Poe-obsessed days. I really love this narrator too, great job Paul S. Jenkins! I loved his reading of "Come Lady Death", as well.

uniquecomunica

• Extern
Reply #39 on: October 26, 2010, 09:34:24 PM
 ;D really loved this episode.  Loved the Sherlock Holmes feel.  Also, reminded me of Shirley Jackson's Haunting of Hill House

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
Reply #40 on: December 15, 2010, 08:01:36 PM
Slowly catching up on my podcasts...and it's Halloween for Christmas! While I liked the language of this one, so old-timey, the story itself was so-so. Didn't stick with me.

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly

justenjoying

• Peltast
Reply #41 on: January 09, 2012, 06:10:08 AM
I really love this series from Hogeson. I've read this and the talisman. They are very similar storys, set up very much the same way, but both very enjoyable. I can really see the infuence on love craft in this story. The explination at the end is creepy and very true. The more something is thought about the more strength it gets and the bigger it becomes. I now need to go out and read the rest of the series.

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #42 on: January 11, 2012, 11:59:18 PM
For those interested in more Hodgson, check out this guy's blog with occasional podcasts of readings (he's also updating and expanding all the Hodgson entries on Wikipedia)

http://hodgecast.blogspot.com/

There's some interesting and fun stuff to be gleaned therein.  Aside from his own readings of "A Voice in the Night" (compare/contrast), he's also done readings of the pirate romance/mystery story "Captain Dan Danblasten" and the entirety of Hodson's Sargasso Sea lost continent novel THE BOATS OF GLEN CARRIG from 1907 (which I'm currently listening to).