Author Topic: Podcast backlog  (Read 4261 times)

eytanz

on: October 08, 2010, 05:08:43 PM
So, I just got back from a great 3-week holiday in which I did not take my laptop. My podcast backlog is over 40 hours long (6.5 of which are EA podcasts). And that doesn't include my television-watching backlog.

The main reason I'm posting this is because I want to keep track of how long it takes me to catch up, and now I have a nice timestamp to attach to when I start working on it...

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 07:35:47 PM
right on!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

eytanz

Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 11:34:28 PM
It's been two months and I'm still not caught up - though almost all the podcasts that were on my ipod at the time have now been listened to. But I'm still definitely behind, with about 9 hours remaining - and quite a lot of that being Escape Artists podcasts, because I try to listen to the topical stuff first.

I hope that the upcoming holiday gives me time to catch up fully...

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 12:05:02 AM
I'm still trying to catch up after the trip we took to England. Three years ago.  :o

eytanz

Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 08:19:40 PM
It's been over 2 years, and I've done it. Today, for the first time since the summer of 2010, I am caught up with escape artists (and other) podcasts!

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 09:11:17 PM
I think I might have to wipe my entire StarShipSofa backlog and start from the next episode. I'm over 30 behind. I don't think I'll ever catch up. It's hard enough for me to keep up with EA, Rob Paulsen, Dunesteef, Drabblecast, and the occasional other 'cast that I might appear on as a voice or writer.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 07:35:25 PM
It's been over 2 years, and I've done it. Today, for the first time since the summer of 2010, I am caught up with escape artists (and other) podcasts!
I had a backlog of around 170 podcasts, from EP, PP, and others. (mostly EP and PP) With my current... "job" of delivering food, I suddenly had ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD to listen to all 170. This was completed just a few weeks ago. I'll probably start downloading all of the PC episodes now too. I gave up PC a few years ago when my backlog was getting even more ridiculous. Now that I have really nice listening time again, I'm going to restart all of PC. :)

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 06:48:36 AM
I'm looking forward to having a commute again.  The only podcast I'm remotely "caught up" with is Pseudopod, in that I'm only two weeks behind.  :-P

Umbrageofsnow

• Hipparch
  • Commenting by the seat of my pants.
Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 04:55:26 AM
I've learned to dissociate backlog from being caught up. If the end-of-year voting ends and I haven't listened/read a story, I drop it into the maybe-someday pile.  That said, since 2010 not a single EA cast has fallen into that pile.

And I'm posting because I'm extra proud of myself this year: by forcing myself to catch up with each 3-month period as they come along (instead of 100-podcast-December), I'm up to date through October on EVERYTHING. (Clarkesworld, Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Podcastle, Escape Pod, Tales To Terrify, Lightspeed, Beneath Ceasless Skies, The Bugle).

I gave up on Starship Sofa a few years ago because they are so damn bloated and I have too many other podcasts, but I've been doing well with Tales To Terrify, so maybe I could handle the format better now.

I'm about 2 hours from being caught up on all the stories for this year on EA, now I just have to comment on them...

And read six months worth of F&SF and Asimov's...

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 08:20:36 PM
I moved back in January to the WEST SIIIIIIIIIDE! and now my daily commute is about 1:20 in the morning and 1:40 in the evening.
I've cut way back on my podcasts; I'm only regularly subscribed to six now, and two are on sporadic release schedules (Dan Carlin's).
But one of them releases three episodes per week, so that's just about all I can keep up with. I don't want to build up a backlog.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising