Author Topic: Changing EP moderators  (Read 5180 times)

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
on: October 11, 2010, 02:34:20 PM
Hey folks,

Swamp has let us know that he'll need to step back from moderating the Escape Pod boards full time due to personal commitments, and we want to thank him for his hard work moderating for us over the last year. We're sorry to see him slip back somewhat into the shadows, though I'm sure he'll still be around and doing some pinch hitting when we need him now and again.

The good news is that Eytanz has graciously agreed to take over as moderator, and a better one we'd be hard pressed to find. He's long been one of the forum's most active and even-keel members, and by whatever dark magic the forum software uses to keep track of time online is the only member to have spent more of it here than myself. I'm sure he'll do a great job, and I'll leave it at that as I need to go back and make the necessary modifications to his Moderator's hat. The flux capacitor's always a bit wonky for the first few thousand years with a new moderator.

--Bill
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 09:19:06 PM by Heradel »

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 02:45:38 PM
Sorry to see ya go, Swamp, but I hope we'll still see you around with the rest of the general population!

And congrats eytanz.  I like the hat, though the 50 foot cable connecting your flux capacitor to the DeLorean is a bit tacky.

eytanz

Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 03:19:23 PM
Finally, my plans have come to fruition. It's been a difficult four years, posting on the forum, maintaining an aura of respectibility, as slowly, slowly, everyone's guard lowered and they started trusting me. And now, at long last, I have been placed in a position of power, and now it's time to start phase 2 of my world domination plan.

You are all doomed

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

*ahem*

Sorry about that, not sure what came over me for a moment. Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you for Heradel and Bdoomed and especially Swamp for trusting me with this responsibility, and I hope I do a good job. I think Swamp has done an excellent job moderating EP, and I plan to continue in his footsteps with as little change as possible. However, this is all pretty new to me, I've moderated forums before but not using this forum software and I've never done anything like post episode threads before. Please be patient with me while I gain my bearings, but also please feel free to PM me if you think I've screwed anything up or if I forgot to do something I should have.

Thanks to Swamp for all his hard work, and I'm really glad he'll still be around to help when I need him, since I'm sure I will.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 05:52:39 PM
Now the number of people mispronouncing your name in their heads will skyrocket.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 06:05:11 PM
I, for one, welcome our new moderator overlord.
--------

If only there was some word to describe having all your time taken up with personal commitments. A word referring to some sort of wet marshlands, perhaps.

:p

Sorry to see you step down Swampy! Don't be a stranger.

You are all doomedBdoomed

Fixed that for you. :p

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 06:09:58 PM
Sorry to see you step down Swampy! Don't be a stranger.

I don't plan to be. 

And I know things are well in hand with Eytanz on the watch.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 02:35:11 PM
Now the number of people mispronouncing your name in their heads will skyrocket.

Maybe eytanz had better start a "sticky" thread with a pronunciation guide then.  :P

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 07:30:36 PM
I think it should be required for moderators to have an avatar, though.  ;)

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 07:38:40 PM

Maybe eytanz had better start a "sticky" thread with a pronunciation guide then.  :P

I believe it's pronounced Y the Last Tanz?

eytanz

Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 11:33:43 PM
I think it should be required for moderators to have an avatar, though.  ;)

Oh, ok.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 01:56:04 AM
Swamp, thanks for all the hard work you've put in. Moderation is a notoriously thankless job for all the (potential) crap you have to put up with. So, thanks, thanks thanks! Look forward to your continuing comments.

And, gratz I guess Eytanz! (see comment about "notoriously thankless job"). Nice one for stepping up to serve your country community when asked!

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 08:43:16 PM
Hm, somehow I became the kind of poster your moder. warned you about.  :D

So now, belatedly, I'll echo the thanks to Swamp (Thanks, Swamp!) and to eytanz (Best of luck, also, eytanz!).

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 03:26:14 AM
Swamp:  Thank you for your service. It has been appreciated, and noticed.
Eytanz:  Hooray!  Us forum old-timers must stick together. Also, I must say the term "even-keeled" has never been more accurately applied. I have never been so pleased to have any other forum-goer disagree with me, nor have I ever been so flattered when another forumite did agree with me. Well done, and better doing.