Author Topic: Apparently, Asimov died from complications of HIV.  (Read 3456 times)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
on: October 17, 2010, 08:03:26 PM
I had no idea, and figured some of you might not have known that either (watch, everyone else knew that and you'll all point and laugh at my ignorance).

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 08:30:22 PM
I had no idea, and figured some of you might not have known that either (watch, everyone else knew that and you'll all point and laugh at my ignorance).

He contracted AIDS from a blood transfusion. (I'm not pointing but my finger's ready just in case).

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

eytanz

Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 06:54:13 AM
*Points and laughs*

Actually, I didn't know it either, and I'm trying to hide my own ignorance ;)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 10:29:32 AM
Hehe, whew. Not totally alone, anyway :P

Yeah, I'd heard that about the blood transfusion - same thing as Arthur Ashe, apparently. And the doctors advised the family to keep it quiet.

I just thought it was very interesting, because unlike Ashe there was never, that I recall, a huge amount of publicity about it.

Robert Mammone

• Palmer
Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 10:51:44 AM
Hehe, whew. Not totally alone, anyway :P

Yeah, I'd heard that about the blood transfusion - same thing as Arthur Ashe, apparently. And the doctors advised the family to keep it quiet.

I just thought it was very interesting, because unlike Ashe there was never, that I recall, a huge amount of publicity about it.

Really?  I thought it was common knowledge amongst genre fans.  Certainly, I read about it in Locus Magazine at least 10 years ago.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 12:11:22 PM
I guess it missed a few of us. A friend posted about in facebook and had a series of "I hadn't heard that.." responses, so I figured maybe it wasn't widespread knowledge.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 01:39:28 PM
I think it's something that you've probably seen if you've read about Asimov the man (I found out when I was on his wikipedia page for something unrelated a year or two ago), but for quite a few of us who mainly just read his novels and reference books there's no real way we'd know.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
    • Burning Zeppelin Experience
Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 01:43:39 PM

He contracted AIDS from a blood transfusion. (I'm not pointing but my finger's ready just in case).

If it makes you feel any better, I knew about the AIDS but I wasn't clear on how he'd caught it - now I know.

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.