Author Topic: Apparently, Asimov died.  (Read 4373 times)

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
on: October 18, 2010, 05:07:18 AM
And not even recently... more like eighteen years ago! Did anybody else know about this?

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

eytanz

Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 07:02:48 AM
Hey, quick moderator note - I recognize that this is meant as playful ribbing of a fellow forumite and is not malicious, but in the future, I would appreciate it if people do not create new threads for this purpose, but rather keep it to the original thread.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 02:05:37 PM
Hey, quick moderator note - I recognize that this is meant as playful ribbing of a fellow forumite and is not malicious, but in the future, I would appreciate it if people do not create new threads for this purpose, but rather keep it to the original thread.

Sorry, I'll try to refrain in future. But since this is a playful riffing on the title of another thread, putting it in the original thread would defeat its whole purpose.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 02:34:09 PM
I'm sure this prohibition on thread creation for the sole purpose of punnery will eviscerate your online comedic abilities.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 03:31:05 PM
And not even recently... more like eighteen years ago! Did anybody else know about this?

Don't be that guy.  Not everyone can know everything about every subject.  More than one person in that thread said "That's news to me." 

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 06:20:43 PM

Don't be that guy.  Not everyone can know everything about every subject.  More than one person in that thread said "That's news to me." 

Like eytanz, you appear to be thinking that I'm making a dig at the author of the other thread. I'm not.

eytanz

Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 06:23:44 PM
If you were genuinely expressing surprise at Asimov's death, my apologies for the misinterpretation.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 06:25:51 PM
If you were genuinely expressing surprise at Asimov's death, my apologies for the misinterpretation.

Not that either. Just punning on a thread title. It's something I do sometimes (remember "Phoney Yumminess" ?) But I'll stop if it bothers you.

eytanz

Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 06:33:05 PM

Not that either. Just punning on a thread title. It's something I do sometimes (remember "Phoney Yumminess" ?) But I'll stop if it bothers you.

I'm not bothered by the idea of a joke thread - it's just that in this case, it did kind of read like you were making fun of Talia's ignorance of the facts of Asimov's death (though, as I said in my original post, I didn't think you were doing so maliciously). It's nowhere near as obvious a pun as Phoney Yumminess was (I found that one quite clever).

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 07:00:11 PM
I'm not bothered by the idea of a joke thread - it's just that in this case, it did kind of read like you were making fun of Talia's ignorance of the facts of Asimov's death (though, as I said in my original post, I didn't think you were doing so maliciously). It's nowhere near as obvious a pun as Phoney Yumminess was (I found that one quite clever).

That one had a more amusing and instructive discussion, too. This one seems to have fallen flat.

But as Mr. Marx once said: "Well, the jokes can't all be good, you've got to expect that."

knigget

• Matross
  • Help! Help! I'm being oppressed!
    • apoGrypha
Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 02:49:14 AM

That one had a more amusing and instructive discussion, too. This one seems to have fallen flat.

But as Mr. Marx once said: "Well, the jokes can't all be good, you've got to expect that."

That was when LOCUS reviewed DAS KAPITAL, wasn't it?

http://www.apoGrypha.blogspot.com

What would have been written. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)