Author Topic: PC119: Bespoke  (Read 11869 times)

Dave

• Peltast
    • I Can Bend Minds With My Spoon
Reply #25 on: September 01, 2010, 11:45:24 PM
Also, the butterfly thing is, I'm guessing, a direct reference to Bradbury's excellent "A Sound of Thunder", lest the reader (or listener in this case) keep thinking to themselves "Oh, it's just like that Bradbury story"- yes, the author is aware of the precedent and is playing with the theme. And well done.

Also also re: Escape Pod or Podcastle: Science Fiction isn't about the tropes and trappings. It's about the themes. Time travel and laser guns and spaceships do not make something science fiction.

Whether this was SF or fantasy, I couldn't tell you. Without a resolution, I'm not certain what the conflict is here.

-Dave (aka Nev the Deranged)

Lionman

• Peltast
  • Next time, I'll just let sleeping dogs lie.
    • The Practice of IT.
Reply #26 on: September 05, 2010, 03:28:00 AM
I rather liked this story.  However, I'm in the camp that thinks it should have run on Escape Pod, but we're probably splitting hairs, I suppose.

I thought it was interesting that they seemed to take time travel so nonchalantly, even though they had rules in place to keep you from messing up the past to make the future signifigantly different.  You're just there as a tourist. Please stay behind the caution rails, don't feed the animals. ;-)

Failure is an event, not a person.

Kanasta

• Peltast
Reply #27 on: November 04, 2010, 01:02:18 PM
I didn't really enjoy this. I don't see why they had rules for time travel if they didn't even work. The only way this worked for me was, as mentioned by another reader, as an extended metaphor for the rich being allowed to get away with anything. But for me that's not enough to make a story. Something like this might be more fun as a filmed piece- in fact I can't help feeling I may have seen an episode of the Twilight Zone or similar like it - where the world keeps changing due to the time travel, but the people in the world don't realise because their history has also completely changed. We can see the changes but they are totally unaware of the effect time travel is having on reality.
I liked the image of treading in footprints made of the powder from butterfly wings, and I enjoyed the details of the tailors' craftsmanship, but it didn't add up to a coherent story in my view.

malaclypse

• Extern
Reply #28 on: November 10, 2010, 01:39:02 AM
Also, the butterfly thing is, I'm guessing, a direct reference to Bradbury's excellent "A Sound of Thunder", lest the reader (or listener in this case) keep thinking to themselves "Oh, it's just like that Bradbury story"- yes, the author is aware of the precedent and is playing with the theme. And well done.

Isn't it great that you were the only one who noticed that? I think it's great.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #29 on: November 10, 2010, 05:02:52 AM
I loved this story. It reminds me of the proper fiction I've been reading -- where they don't save the world in five thousand words or less, because that's not the point. The characters were beautifully drawn. The callback to "A Sound of Thunder" was perfect. The impact of this story comes from the fact that the world is obviously doomed, and the signs are all around them -- but the characters are too wrapped up in their lives to notice, just like real people.

I want to see more stories like this. This was great.

Hey, Malaclypse. Sorry I missed you on this when I did the feedback. I stand corrected that the other Dave was not the only one. I should've hired a plug.

Hopefully I'll catch you next time.

-- Dave
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 05:27:18 AM by DKT »

Dave

• Peltast
    • I Can Bend Minds With My Spoon
Reply #30 on: November 17, 2010, 02:14:40 AM

Isn't it great that you were the only one who noticed that? I think it's great.

Alright, Mal, how much do you want to keep quiet on this one?

-Dave (aka Nev the Deranged)

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
Reply #31 on: December 02, 2010, 05:35:24 PM
I listened to this one three times, mainly because I kept getting caught up in the clothing details, but also because I kept getting confused on the time travel details. May need to read this one slowly to get the full effect.

Can't add anything that's been said before. Loved the details in this story. Loved the interaction between Petra and Simone...and that last image of Simone was beautiful. But I didn't realize the plugs and the vagabonds were separate people until I saw the comments here. That was lost on me.

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly