Author Topic: Film Poll XIX: The Final Chapter  (Read 14256 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: February 13, 2008, 08:38:21 PM
And now, we've arrived at the film poll's final chapter!  It's Aliens vs. The Thing... vs. serial killers, comic book noir, and, um, hobbits.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 09:00:42 PM
I liked them all but still haven't seen The Thing yet.  Had to go with LOTR:Fellowship even though Fellowship wasn't my favorite. 

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 09:08:01 PM
Wow.  Really tough field.  I'll have to think for a while.

DDog

• Matross
    • Twitter
Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 09:59:04 PM
I've only seen one of these (Fellowship).

Ask a Tranny Podcast
"Watching someone bootstrap themselves into sentience is the most science fiction thing you can do." -wintermute

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 10:15:05 PM
I've actually seen all of these for a change.  Easy vote for me (Fellowship) although they are all movies I really liked (especially Aliens and Se7en).

eytanz

Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 10:21:00 PM
Well, I still haven't seen Aliens, but I've seen all the others.

Had to go with Sin City. Fellowship was a fun movie, but it had its dull moments. Sin City was probably one of the most perfect movie experiences ever created. And I'm not even a big fan of the comic books themselves - it just works so much better on screen.

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 12:50:37 AM
You guys really owe it to yourselves to see all these movies.

IIRC, we're talking about John Carpenter's The Thing.  Because the original was pretty good, too.

Aliens: Nearly perfect
Fellowship: Very good.  I see flaws, but that's probably just because I've seen it so many times.  It makes no attempt to wrap itself up at the end, which is a minus.  Maybe.
Sin City: Very very cool.  But a little overdone.  Nijna hookers with hearts of gold?  Not buyin' it.
Se7en: Nearly perfect.  But I only saw it once, so I'm still in a 10 year after glow.  Still, it's stuck with me like few movies have.  Even the closing credits were scary.

I'm going to have to think about this more....

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 01:40:40 AM

Had to go with Sin City. Fellowship was a fun movie, but it had its dull moments. Sin City was probably one of the most perfect movie experiences ever created. And I'm not even a big fan of the comic books themselves - it just works so much better on screen.

I was torn between SC and the Thing... came down with eytanz  (do we high-five in here?) in the end.

Hey, this can't be the Final Chapter... you didn't do "3-D, this time it's personal" or "Film Poll vs. Movie Poll"...  or "Film Poll Takes Manhattan" yet!

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 02:09:50 PM
Fellowship: Very good.  I see flaws, but that's probably just because I've seen it so many times.  It makes no attempt to wrap itself up at the end, which is a minus.  Maybe.

Why should it?  Everybody knows that it's only the first third of the story.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 02:41:09 PM
Get the horrible feeling this is going to be a shut out.  That being said I went for Se7en.  HUGE gut punch of a movie.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 03:58:36 PM

I remember more than a few people where I work complaining about the ending....... most of them don't read and had no idea of the scope of LOTR.   

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Simon

• Peltast
Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 04:15:02 PM
Aliens, and The Thing... Being kicked by Hobbits. On an SF website...

I'm so close to stuffing the ballotbox.

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 11:30:22 PM

I remember more than a few people where I work complaining about the ending....... most of them don't read and had no idea of the scope of LOTR.   
I too know some people who were not aware that their 10 bucks was buying them a third of the story.  Though in a sense all this, including my original point, is moot, since the question is "what movie do you like best?" not "which is the best movie?"  If you would rather see Fellowship than Aliens, even though it ends unresolved then it deserves your vote.  And that's fine, I think Fellowship was an awesome movie, too.

Irrelevant but amusing:
I went to see Fellowship in the US with my Japanese wife.  English is her second language, but enjoys American TV and movies.  After the movie I said, "I was really impressed with the special effects."
"Yeah, they were great."
"It was brilliant how they handled the hobbits.  Nearly flawless."
"Yeah ...  what's a hobbit?"
"We just spent 2 and a half hours looking at hobbits.  They were the little people."
"Oh.  I thought they were children or something."
"One of them had gray hair!"
"Well, there were wizards, and monsters and magic, maybe there were children with gray hair!"

I'm glad I cleared that up.  I can't imagine how terrible that movie would have been if the hobbits were actually little kids.

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 11:36:18 PM

Hey, this can't be the Final Chapter... you didn't do "3-D, this time it's personal" or "Film Poll vs. Movie Poll"...  or "Film Poll Takes Manhattan" yet!
What about "Film Poll 2: Electric Boogaloo?"  I guess that would be the next film poll, duh.
Though we could still go back and do the prequel: "Film Poll: The Beginning" or "Film Poll Rising"

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 01:13:03 AM

What about "Film Poll 2: Electric Boogaloo?"  I guess that would be the next film poll, duh.
Though we could still go back and do the prequel: "Film Poll: The Beginning" or "Film Poll Rising"
Would that open the door to an eventual "Film Poll 4: In Space" and "Film Poll 5: In the Hood" ?

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 10:05:24 AM
Or perhaps

Film Poll with a Vengeance
Film Poll or Die Hard
Film Poll 4.0
Film Poll 2-Passion of the Film Poll?

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 04:27:14 PM
Or perhaps

Film Poll or Die Hard
Film Poll 4.0

Film Poll II:  The Quickening

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 04:37:44 PM
Or perhaps

Film Poll or Die Hard
Film Poll 4.0

Film Poll II:  The Quickening

Film Poll Reloaded
Film Poll 2: Book of Shadows
Film Poll 2: The Next Day
Film Poll 2: Red, White and Filmy

Sorry :(

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #18 on: February 15, 2008, 11:04:22 PM
28 Film Polls Later?

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #19 on: February 16, 2008, 12:08:29 AM
28 Film Polls Later?

Oh god.  I may just have to use that one.

Actually, there are a few titles in here I might swipe, but I assure you I have a large collection of my own...

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #20 on: February 16, 2008, 02:35:56 AM
The whole "film you liked best" aspect is what has made these so hard... I can never even decide what I want for dinner, let alone choose between two or three (let alone five) great movies.  Shawshank was the easiest choice, just because it had such a deep, resonating impact on me.  (Glad it wasn't up against Fisher King....)

And because I am so touched that you didn't all run me out on a rail...

Variations on the theme:
The Best Little Film Poll in Texas
Film Poll Goes Bananas
Film Poll Goes to Monte Carlo
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Film Poll
If It's Film Poll, This Must Be Belgium
Last Temptation of the Film Poll
Requiem for a Film Poll

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #21 on: February 18, 2008, 03:03:54 AM
Wow, I think this is the first time that last week's winner is coming in dead last.

And it's Aliens, at that!

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #22 on: February 19, 2008, 12:47:54 AM
Wow, I think this is the first time that last week's winner is coming in dead last.

And it's Aliens, at that!

It would have been a contender, but for those 3 "huckabees" in the mix.  :)