Author Topic: SF TV Series you've felt postive emotions for  (Read 52182 times)

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #100 on: March 22, 2007, 03:04:33 PM
Quote from: Clintmemo
...will tempt you to come back and try playing again. I'm convinced that golf was invented by Satan.
LOL.  I agree - personally, I've been able to horribly fail consistantly enough that I am no longer tempted :)

Russell Nash

Reply #101 on: March 22, 2007, 03:08:54 PM
Having David Beckham play for the LA Galaxy is not going to help in the long run.  The man is more popular/well-known than Shaquille O'Neil, Peyton Manning, and A-Rod combined.  His jersey sales account for a large percentage Real Madrid's (his former club) merchandising. And there will be a bump (like when Pele playing in New York) in interest while he is here, but after he leaves, it will go back to moderate interest. 
I've been a pretty steady MLS watcher since their inaugural season. Go Revs! One of the best moves that MLS made to get ready for this year is to partner with the German footbal league who will teach the MLS guys how to position the camera, how to light the fiely properly, how to shoot from multiple angles, to better portray the game on television. We might even get to see a couple of good exhibition matches between the good German clubs and the US teams. I think having a high profile player like David Beckham on someone's roster will be a good start and might attract some better international players to the game here in the states. The first couple of years we drew mostly from South and Central America and out play was very much like what you'd see from the Argentine, Mexican, or Venezualan clubs (all of which you can see on Spanish Language Cable). But as more Europeans are drawn to MLS that will change. I don't know if it will draw more fans, but it will certainly make for better and more varied football play.

I have to throw in my two cents on this, because I have actually given my explaination on this to several of my German friends.

The MLS is priced like a professional sport, but it doesn't have the following. We follow as adults the sports we followed as kids. As kids we followed the sports our families followed. To break this cycle the MLS has to get as many butts as possible into the seats at the games. Once people see games live, they become interested in the team in general. As interest increases, demand for soccer on TV will increase. Once the games are on TV, more of the soccer league kids can see the games. This creates more interest in it just spirals up.

To get more butts in the seats the MLS needs to almost give the tickets away. Special deals to teams or families with kids on teams. Lower the ticket prices in general.

15 years ago I never heard of people crowding a minor league baseball game. They were played out in the middle of nowhere and no one went. Then in the Philadelphia area they moved in two teams, One in Trenton and one in Camden. These teams did well, because it was an affordable option to going to see the pros.

A soccer game needs to be cheaper to see than going to the zoo or maybe even a movie. Make it the place a father takes the kids on saturday afternoon, when mom wants a day off.

There are tons of kids playing soccer who want to follow a pro team. They just need to see the team.

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #102 on: March 22, 2007, 03:16:27 PM
Quote from: jrderego
I've been a pretty steady MLS watcher...
Maybe we should start a new thread...
I remember Pele's arrival with the New York Cosmos (barely), and how that was heralded as the break through needed to bring soccer to America.  I remember hearing that for World Cup 98, when Freddy Adu joining the league, and now with Beckham.  I really think that ship has sailed.  Americans don't need soccer, so why should things change?  Look at the Women's League - that had everything going for it - untapped market (lots of young women), no completing male version (in the US), serious accomplishments in the world arena - then nothing.

Hopefully with some more talent and better production watching the matches will seem less like good College ball.

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #103 on: March 22, 2007, 03:20:45 PM
Quote from: Russell Nash
...my explaination...
Preach on, brother!  I have the same opinion.  People will pay big money to see big talent - hence the bump for Pele and the already visble bump for Beckham.  People will not pay big money to see nobodies (or even regular money).  So if you want me to show up, make it cheap.  Once I'm hooked...

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #104 on: March 22, 2007, 07:56:00 PM
Quote from: Russell Nash
...my explaination...
Preach on, brother!  I have the same opinion.  People will pay big money to see big talent - hence the bump for Pele and the already visble bump for Beckham.  People will not pay big money to see nobodies (or even regular money).  So if you want me to show up, make it cheap.  Once I'm hooked...

[agree] $40 family nights, including 4 tickets, souvenir(s) for kids and 4 dogs/soft drinks.  I remember when I played as a child going to see the Detroit Express and being excited about it, and wanting to go back.  I wish I still had the hand stitched souvenir ball signed by the entire team.  Now I don't even know if Detroit/Michigan even has a pro soccer team. 

Ananzi

• Extern
Reply #105 on: March 23, 2007, 11:58:51 PM
I'm kind of surprised no one's mentioned Dark Angel.
I thought the first season was really interesting,though the second and third were more  formulaic...

And what about "Land of the Lost"? Or am I the only person here old enough to remember it?

I'd vote for "Gary Seven" but I'm pretty sure that only aired in universe parallel to this one...

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #106 on: March 24, 2007, 02:13:21 PM
I'd vote for "Gary Seven" but I'm pretty sure that only aired in universe parallel to this one...
Well, I think there was a reason the "Star Trek" pilot didn't materialize as a series in this universe - it was bad ;)

There is a 3rd season of Dark Angel?  I have the first two, and I've never seen a third - that would be cool.  It was a bit formulaic, as you say, but I enjoyed them none the less

Roney

• Lochage
Reply #107 on: March 24, 2007, 10:50:03 PM
[snip: association football]

This thread is just funny to a foreigner.  Every other country in the world does soccer.  Therefore it must be a deep-rooted human need.  Therefore y'all will have to follow it eventually.  You will.

And I don't even like the damn game.

Are you enjoying the cricket world cup?

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #108 on: March 26, 2007, 12:49:46 PM
bah with global warming, when then next ice age hits those of us that aren't frozen can enjoy a true sport.  Curling ftw!

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #109 on: February 16, 2008, 08:19:05 PM
what only 6 votes for SG-1 and 5 for Andromeda
those are 2 of my favorites
that is confusing

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

I am not sure if Life is passing me by or running me over

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #110 on: February 17, 2008, 01:29:38 AM
Is Lost Science Fiction? I've never heard it referred to as such.

I think it is at least a LITTLE sci-fi, and a little horror-ish.  There are some pretty weird things happening on the island:  time anomalies, odd science experiments in the Dharma hatches, smokey the monster, the weird whispering, the odd hallucinations (or are they real?).  I work with a person who doesn't like Lost that much because she thinks it is TOO sci-fi.   

(Oops...I didn't realized I was replying to such an old post until it was too late)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 01:31:58 AM by Darwinist »

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #111 on: February 17, 2008, 01:56:38 AM
A lot of it felt forced.  though a large part of that was because the previous season ended on a cliffhanger, I'll admit that.  The happy ending was always going to happen. 

I probably disliked it because it was an ending too though... I was a bigfan... and I wanted it to increase above the crap of season 4... >_>  and I thought it would get back on track again; if it was given the chance.

The resolutions felt forced though; as there was no other way that peace could be done without threatening everyone in the universe... and as a method of keeping hte peace I dislike it as a core idea... but yeah it was so they would stop chasing himand such too...

I dunno.  I just didn't like it as much as the rest of the series... even season 4... but its my personal opinion... I'm tired I can't express myself well... I'm gonig to bed... up early and such for work. 
The Farscape series finale was "Into the Lion's Den, part 2".  As far as I'm concerned, that was it, even if that does leave the third season an episode short.

My choices: Babylon 5, Doctor Who, Farscape and Battlestar Galactica (which is a completely original show that premiered this decade and is in no way based on any prior show by the same name  :P)  If I could pick more than four, The Prisoner would be there as well.  After that, maybe Star Trek too.

On a tangent (can't remember whether I've mentioned this on these boards or not) I've watched the first DVD of Firefly and I'm underwhelmed.  The concept and setting are interesting enough but I don't really like any of the characters.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 01:59:28 AM by stePH »

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #112 on: February 17, 2008, 04:10:26 AM

On a tangent (can't remember whether I've mentioned this on these boards or not) I've watched the first DVD of Firefly and I'm underwhelmed.  The concept and setting are interesting enough but I don't really like any of the characters.

Hmmm... I highly recommend going back in time, and mentally preparing yourself NOT to like it due to the amount of hype surrounding it.  I had fan after fan after fan telling me how great it was, and finally caved in and watched it.  I fully expected it to be over-rated, and not to make it past the pilot.  (That's what happened to me with both Farscape and Babylon 5, btw.)

Of course, I loved all fourteen episodes, and was really pissed to get to the end of the movie and have none left; but that's just me.  :)

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

eytanz

Reply #113 on: February 17, 2008, 09:07:26 AM

Heh - that was sort of the inverse of my reaction. I was also underwhelmed, but for me, the part I did really like was the characters, while the Space Western concept and the setting failed to engage me.

CammoBlammo

• Matross
Reply #114 on: February 17, 2008, 11:12:55 AM
I'm normally pretty wary of anything with hype, but somehow I got sucked into getting Firefly. That's a pretty big thing for me, because it was never shown on free to air TV in Australia, and I can't really afford to pay for it. So going out and buying the boxed set was quite out of character. I guess I wanted to convince myself it was worth the $40, but I didn't need too much persuasion.

Anyhow, I absolutely loved it on at least two levels. First, the characters were fantastic and eminently believable. Second, I really dug the world that Joss Whedon built. I thought the synthesis of earth cultures was a nice touch, and the western thing wasn't a turn off at all.

Last thing---my favourite sci-fi show doesn't seem to have made it to the poll. How'd the OP forget Futurama?

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #115 on: February 19, 2008, 03:54:00 PM
I don't really get all the excitement about Firefly.  I've never seen the series, but I've never liked anything else Joss Wheadon has done, so didn't feel any need to seek it out.  I got through about 20 minutes of Serenity and changed the channel.  It just felt like a rip-off mish mash of Star Trek (all) and Star Wars (original trilogy).
Speaking of bad SF, I am a huge fan of MST3K.  Absolutely loved it.
I also had to scratch my head a bit at the absence of Futurama.  Maybe the best series that Groening and Cohen have made so far.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #116 on: February 19, 2008, 04:12:40 PM
YOU WATCHED IT!  YOU CAN'T UN WATCH IT!

God I love Futurama, fantastic show.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #117 on: February 19, 2008, 05:12:46 PM
I don't really get all the excitement about Firefly.  I've never seen the series, but I've never liked anything else Joss Wheadon has done, so didn't feel any need to seek it out.  I got through about 20 minutes of Serenity and changed the channel.  It just felt like a rip-off mish mash of Star Trek (all) and Star Wars (original trilogy).
Speaking of bad SF, I am a huge fan of MST3K.  Absolutely loved it.
I also had to scratch my head a bit at the absence of Futurama.  Maybe the best series that Groening and Cohen have made so far.

Wow, couldn't disagree with you more on Firefly. Loved the movie and series.  I think a lot of sci-fi is related or a derivative of what came before it, and it doesn't bother me that Firefly was that way. 

MST3K was awesome.  I have a bunch of homemade VHS tapes that I still watch once in a while.  I lived in the Twin Cities for a number of years and at first thought it was just locally broadcast because of the all the local references.  Who did you guys like better- Joel or Mike?

Love Futurama, too.... I had a hard time picking just five off the list. 

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #118 on: February 19, 2008, 05:48:29 PM
MST3K was awesome.  I have a bunch of homemade VHS tapes that I still watch once in a while.  I lived in the Twin Cities for a number of years and at first thought it was just locally broadcast because of the all the local references.  Who did you guys like better- Joel or Mike?
I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned somewhere around here before, but Cinematic Titanic has released it's first DVD and is working on the next few.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.