Author Topic: SF TV Series you've felt postive emotions for  (Read 52190 times)

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
on: February 12, 2007, 10:43:40 AM
There's no real order to it, Doctor Who is first only because it's oldest (well, oldest still on TV). I know I've left out your favorite, if I missed a really big one and can modify the poll I'll try to fix it. Some are more obscure than others. I only know about some of them because of random oddities (for example, going to a convention that used The Prisoner as the theme).

I think I broke it past 18 17 nevermind, I can only add one at a time options.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 12:49:33 PM by Heradel »

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

fiveyearwinter

• Peltast
Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 12:43:52 PM
Holy crap, only half of all voters had positive emotions for Firefly?!

:: wears his brown coat proudly ::

Sorry I'm a bit of a fanatic.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 12:47:33 PM
Well, you have four votes. I loved Firefly, but it's hard to say that it's more deserving than all of Star Trek, or Babylon 5.

Firefly was really good, but it was also really short. Even with Serenity and the comics, we got a very brief flare-in-the-night-sky view of that universe. It was well fleshed out for what time they had, but... Anyway, Kaylee is apparently a new regular on Atlantis, which is good.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 12:54:26 PM
Firefly is number 1 in my list of "shows I haven't seen that I need to buy on DVD and watch."   I'm not sure I've talked to anyone who saw it and didn't love it.

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 02:10:17 PM
   Interesting question.  I went for the following:

DOCTOR WHO-I grew up on it and love the thing to pieces.  I've really been enjoying the new show and whilst I think a lot of TORCHWOOD has been borderline unwatchable, I ended up sitting through the entire series and hoping desperately the second year will get better.

BABYLON 5-I was lucky enough to get the complete DVD set for Christmas and am about halfway through season 4 at the moment.  It's aged incredibly well, although oddly I find myself having less time for the stuff I loved the first time round (In particular the increasingly self-righteous Sheridan of season four) and a lot more time for the stuff I used to be less fond of (The first year is actually a really smart piece of set up as well as some good to solid stand alones and year three is some of the best apocalyptic space war SF I've ever seen)

FARSCAPE-Because no other series more consistently kicked stuff over and surprised its viewers.  From the fact that Crichton was effectively insane by the end of season one to the gleeful way they messed with viewers' expectations and standard SF tropes (Clones!  Morally flexible bad guys!  Cute spaceship babies!  Demented, gun encrusted spaceship babies!) this was arguably the most innovative and energetic show of its time.  It's also notable for having one of the only unplanned finales that worked, beautifully, in context with the series (The humour and love and resignation behind the line 'You and your timing' is riight up there with DR WHO's 'Just this once!  EVERYONE lives!' as one of the most poignant moments of TV I've ever seen).

FIREFLY-For many of the same reasons as FARSCAPE. Smart, bleak as all hell and incredibly funny.  FIREFLY also holds a great deal of fascination for me as a writer, not only due to the plotting but the way it finished and how the next couple of season's plotlines were folded into SERENITY.

Jane

• Extern
Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 03:05:11 PM
Hey, where's SeaQuest on that list? That was my first SF love.

JaredAxelrod

• Palmer
  • 4-Color Hero
    • The Voice Of Free Planetx
Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 04:27:34 PM
No Batman?

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 08:35:20 PM
Added Seaquest and Batman. Hadn't hear of the former, for some reason blanked on the latter.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 09:04:47 PM
Hmm well im too young really to have watched a few of these, and i dont watch much tv at all in the first place... but... Wheres Heroes???!!!!! >:(  Thats SF!  and one of the greatest shows of all time... next to 24 of course. :P

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 09:09:41 PM
My unofficial official barrier for entry is that they have to have finished their first season. Which is why Eureka's there and Heros isn't.

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 09:11:36 PM
Wheres Heroes???!!!!! >:(  Thats SF!  and one of the greatest shows of all time... next to 24 of course. :P

Yes and both shows are on at the same time.  Thank goodness for VCR's and DVR's!

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

contra

• Peltast
Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 10:24:12 PM
I never caught Firefly on TV,  don't watch much.  I heard a movie was being made so I got the DVD's.  I'm sure if I had seen it that it would have been on this list.

so what I did votre for....

Doctor Who  = I watched itr in the 80's as a kid.  It rocked then.  I went out of my way to make sure I caught this on TV when it came back.  torchwood sucked IMO... but I had to watch it as it was Dr Who

Battlestar Galactica = I HATE Starbuck, and it almost may me not watch it.  I kept at it (my flatmate at hte time kept aquiring it), so I kept watching, and mostly Baltar kept me watching, to see where they would go with him.  I like it now; though I still have the irrational urge to turn it off whenever a Starbuck storyline/subplot starts.  I resist. 

Farscape = loved it from the start.  A++ would watch again.  My god the final ep (peacekeeper wars does not exist!!!! yes I'm one of them) made me scream at the TV.  When the announcer said that it really was the final ep... grrrr

The X-Files = I loved it in the begining and watched it as I grew up.  towards the end it was more out of loyalty that actually liking the show though...

---
Mike---Glasgow.  Scotland.-->

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 10:40:36 PM
Farscape = loved it from the start.  A++ would watch again.  My god the final ep (peacekeeper wars does not exist!!!! yes I'm one of them) made me scream at the TV.  When the announcer said that it really was the final ep... grrrr
Wait, wait, how can you not accept the Peacekeeper Wars as canon?

contra

• Peltast
Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 11:07:52 PM
Meh.  more it was just crap compared to the rest...
there was only one good moment during the whole thing... (Johns and Harveys wormholes to the stars

I'm only not accepting it due to it sucking badly

---

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 11:19:20 PM
How did it suck? I mean, it wasn't perhaps as quirky as the series, but it seemed a pretty good send-off, and honestly, who doesn't love a happy ending?

Plus, the pregnant Hynerian was worth the whole mini-series.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 11:21:51 PM by Heradel »

contra

• Peltast
Reply #15 on: February 12, 2007, 11:40:47 PM
A lot of it felt forced.  though a large part of that was because the previous season ended on a cliffhanger, I'll admit that.  The happy ending was always going to happen. 

I probably disliked it because it was an ending too though... I was a bigfan... and I wanted it to increase above the crap of season 4... >_>  and I thought it would get back on track again; if it was given the chance.

The resolutions felt forced though; as there was no other way that peace could be done without threatening everyone in the universe... and as a method of keeping hte peace I dislike it as a core idea... but yeah it was so they would stop chasing himand such too...

I dunno.  I just didn't like it as much as the rest of the series... even season 4... but its my personal opinion... I'm tired I can't express myself well... I'm gonig to bed... up early and such for work. 

---

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #16 on: February 13, 2007, 02:01:11 AM
I'm assuming you mean the new Battlestar Galactica.

I have to admit that I did watch the old one religiously, though I was a kid.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #17 on: February 13, 2007, 02:29:49 AM
Eh, the other ones counted new and old, so it means both, even though there are differences in tone among the two.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #18 on: February 13, 2007, 07:05:08 PM
Any love for Lost?  I'm hopelessly addicted to that show and it's past the first season requirement. 

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #19 on: February 13, 2007, 07:07:44 PM
Is Lost Science Fiction? I've never heard it referred to as such.

contra

• Peltast
Reply #20 on: February 13, 2007, 07:19:07 PM
Is Lost Science Fiction?

*spoilers*

A group of scientists go to an island to investigate how to stop humanity destroying itself.  They do this by looking into remote viewing, margetism, climate control, zoology, and various other odd things. 
The island also does not show up on radar or satelite picvtures; and causes has a magnetic charge that had to be released every hour or so.  The only way off the island is to hear in a specific direction by sea nad not change course...

It is kinda sci fi....
but I've given up on it... It now annoys me...

---

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #21 on: February 13, 2007, 07:31:02 PM
I watched a couple episodes in the first season, and it didn't seem to be. With the spoilers... Eh, I'm still not sure. I'll put it up, but if someone comes up with a good explanation of why it isn't I can take it down.

FNH

• Matross
  • F Napoleon H
    • Black Dog Of Doom
Reply #22 on: February 13, 2007, 07:44:44 PM
The X-Files = I loved it in the begining and watched it as I grew up.  towards the end it was more out of loyalty that actually liking the show though...

I liked the early shows, before for the government cover-up rubbish.  I still get the creeps thinking about those creepy green bugs that didn't like the light, out in the woods, all alone ...

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #23 on: February 13, 2007, 08:25:41 PM

It has mysterious electromagnetic stations (possibly capable of destroying the world, though that's still unproven), black smoky chain things that seem to materialize and dematerialize, a kid with probable psychic abilities, a precognitive man, sequences of numbers that alter fate, and dreams and visions with demonstrated prophetic consequences.

What would you call it?

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

JaredAxelrod

• Palmer
  • 4-Color Hero
    • The Voice Of Free Planetx
Reply #24 on: February 13, 2007, 09:13:23 PM

It has mysterious electromagnetic stations (possibly capable of destroying the world, though that's still unproven), black smoky chain things that seem to materialize and dematerialize, a kid with probable psychic abilities, a precognitive man, sequences of numbers that alter fate, and dreams and visions with demonstrated prophetic consequences.

What would you call it?

J.J. Abrams Works Out His Father Issues?