Author Topic: PC045: The Annals of Eelin-Ok  (Read 13963 times)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Re: PC045: The Annals of Eelin-Ok
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2009, 04:50:33 PM »
This one was a cute idea, and I like the idea of the creature living in the sandcastles.  If I'd heard this as a kid, I would've ached to go to the beach so I could build an awesome home for a little guy, and that fact made me smile.   :)

As others have said, the intro got pretty long.  It was interesting in the way that a textbook can be interesting, but I can't say that it was much of a hook.

In the end, I didn't end up finishing the story, because after the intro, everything else just seemed to be showing what had already been told in the intro.  It didn't really matter to me what happened to the little guy, I knew he was going to die when the sandcastle got washed away, and beyond that there wasn't anything I was really waiting for.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2009, 04:52:26 PM »
And regarding Elf Month:
I actually like the Tolkienesque sort of elf.  Sure, they've been overdone in the meantime, but I still like them.  But only one of these alternate elf stories did I really like overall, (Immersed in Matter), that was--surprise--more classical sort of elf.

GreatAuntMaude

• Extern
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2009, 04:38:07 PM »
As others have said, the intro got pretty long.  It was interesting in the way that a textbook can be interesting, but I can't say that it was much of a hook.

In the end, I didn't end up finishing the story, because after the intro, everything else just seemed to be showing what had already been told in the intro. 

I, too found the intro somewhat annoying.  Conventional writing wisdom says, "Show, don't tell," and Unblinking's comment is one reason why.  Another is that figuring out the background of a story is half the fun.

GAM

Tunos

• Extern
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2011, 01:45:33 AM »
Just listened to this story again for the first time in over a year and I have to say it's my favorite PodCastle to date.

The feeling that the author evokes (and I'm sure the amazing narration helps here) just makes me want to shrink myself down to size and go find a sandcastle to live in.

PodCastle's been doing some pretty heavy stuff lately and I'd really like to see another story of this nature - something whimsical and fun.

BarryJNorthern

• Extern
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2011, 03:11:46 AM »
I don't think I ever commented on this one. It was brilliant. I kept it on my iPod for months and months.